The meaning of life

The OD

Make time for an 'Aiyee!' or two. You'll feel much better.
I tried three and now I need to lie down.

You should have included a warning, I feel triggered now.

:?

benroe

Presumably they do.
Sure, but its not as if it has much effect on society, I mean how many people do you hear nowadays say they do something "in the name of god", apart from the obvious of course.

The OD

Sure, but its not as if it has much effect on society, I mean how many people do you hear nowadays say they do something "in the name of god", apart from the obvious of course.
Excuse my interruption, but I would be pretty sure than meaning in life is a massive driver for humans the world over? Why do people build monuments, companies, movements, hell even having children is partially driven by a need for some sort of meaning?

Unless I have taken you up wrong and you can ignore this post!

benroe

Excuse my interruption, but I would be pretty sure than meaning in life is a massive driver for humans the world over? Why do people build monuments, companies, movements, hell even having children is partially driven by a need for some sort of meaning?

Unless I have taken you up wrong and you can ignore this post!
I was talking about meaning in the religious sense, the idea that every moral action,belief or decision has some consequence in how the bossman judges you at the end of your mortal life.
I believe we all instill meaning in the pursuit of what we value, whether that be a political ideology or as you mentioned bringing up children.

LookWhoItIs

"Happiness is our natural state. Happiness is the natural state of little children, to whom the kingdom belongs until they have been polluted and contaminated by the stupidity of society and culture. To acquire happiness you don't have to do anything, because happiness cannot be acquired. Does anybody know why? Because we have it already. How can you acquire what you already have? Then why don't you experience it? Because you've got to drop something. You've got to drop illusions. You don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard on your illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings. Do you know where these things come from? From having identified with all kinds of labels!"

De Mello Spirituality | The Most Important Minutes In Your Lives, Anthony de Mello, SJ

DavidCaldwell

Its a question without an answer, unless you need the comfort blanket of religion.
My view is different, that the facts elucidated by science tell us that life is meaningful for us with our human minds.

benroe

My view is different, that the facts elucidated by science tell us that life is meaningful for us with our human minds.
Really?, how is meaning measured? what is a unit of meaning?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I tried three and now I need to lie down.

You should have included a warning, I feel triggered now.

:?
There's always one who has to go the extra. You are flirting with addiction. Too many 'Aiyee!'s and you could find yourself carrying a dead body in a rug ata funeral in a sh1thole village in the Yemen.

redhead

Ask Jazzy B...

[video=youtube_share;Er8ZFyRKgmI]http://youtu.be/Er8ZFyRKgmI[/video]

DavidCaldwell

Really?, how is meaning measured? what is a unit of meaning?
I would argue that the key characteristic of science is that its conclusion can be tested i.e. checked by repeatable observation. The observations may often involve measurement, but not always.

The relevant scientific observations and deductions would be
- evolution results in current day organisms being generally very well adapted to live and reproduce

- the human mind (at least for most people in most of recorded history) tends to feel that there is value and meaning in living and reproducing

- while some ideologies and chains of reasoning may lead us towards the opposite conclusion, many other ideologies and chains of reasoning have come to buttress and justify the feelings that there is value and meaning.

I would agree that there is, as yet, no scientific backing for the final step in my argument - namely that if the weird stories of Norse mythology (for example) could be seen as supporting our feeling of value and meaning, then so can the observation that our minds are adapted by evolution to have such feelings.

NativeWildCat

[video=youtube;mzlCdWwYn2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzlCdWwYn2I[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies