• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"The Media" and the election- the VB show analysis

returning officer

Last night there was a discussion on the show about the media and the elections with Browne leveling many criticisms (which were thrown back at him just as well).

In my view this was a very poor election for the media

1) policy was pushed to the side. While the daily press conferences were not exactly lively they were still better than Bertie's finances or Enda's latest photo op.
2) Focus on polls. Over two days. Methodology (codology). Latest. yawn!
3) Bertie v Enda as opposed to the election of 165 TDs
4) Campaigning by newspapers on minority issues eg stamp duty
5) Up until 10.30 on day of close of poll it was all about "alternative Taoieasch" v Bertie, then reality returned.
6) The green party were assumed into the Rainbow without their consent
7) Labour were pushed into corner and couldn't get out
8) Who won the Leaders debate? The pundits v the people's view.
9) Too much focus on that debate.

Perhaps Vincent Browne said it best when he said "The media don't have a clue of the public mind".

Is he correct and are the criticisms justified?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Editor/Publisher of Village Magazine, columnists for the Irish Times and the Sunday Business Post, and his own radio show.

If he's correct, he's most aptly talking about himself.

D

Dr Jimbo

What struck me most was every morning the radio shows would say: and the topics being discussed today are the economy, education, ...
Basically whatever was in the press release from the parties that day. Print media just as bad. No cornering parties on impending economic meltdown, serious discussion of oil, climate change.
And of course after Bertie's Diana performance with Dobbo, no hammering home of the integrity question.

I was struck by something a Tory MP said on The Panel - everyone refers to our great leader either by his nickname or title, playing into his hands as man of the people, or incumbent, respectively. Very obvious once pointed out. Of course if Enda tried 'Mr Ahern' all the time he'd seem like a stiff...

mollox

David Cochrane said:
Editor/Publisher of Village Magazine, columnists for the Irish Times and the Sunday Business Post, and his own radio show.

I think his actual words were "us in the media haven't a clue".

He should get a large wall plaque of that and hang it in the studio. His producer should prompt him to look at it every time he starts to pontificate on some topic or other - that‘ll be several times a night.

I found Vincent’s aggressive “job interview” technique with prospective TD’s to be both boorish and a waste of time. It usually resulted in my switching off the radio, so from that point of view, his bit of the media had a very poor election in my house.

honestpolitics

Vincent is a lunatic, clear and simple, the man changes his mind more often than a two year old in the middle of a meltdown!! he moves from " oh I think you're so great" to " you are the devil incarnate" to "oh I think your great again" - I'm not sure who's more to blame; him for being a little unstable or "us" for even listening to him.

Honest

morryah

The answer is plain. Don't listen to him.

Journalists interviewing journalists. Cheap radio.

What do we in the media think of us in the media. Are we right? etc. Arrrgh.

Odyessus

David Cochrane said:

He is correct. People in the media generally mix with other media people and others of a certain class and opinion. They constantly make the elementary mistake of assuming that the opinions of their friends are representative of the people as a whole. When the great unwashed demonstrate time and again through the ballot box how out of touch the media are, what do we get? An examination of conscience by the media? No, we are told that we have disgraced ourselves again. When will we peasants ever stop letting down The Irish Times?

Mary Frances

Odyessus said:
David Cochrane said:

He is correct. People in the media generally mix with other media people and others of a certain class and opinion. They constantly make the elementary mistake of assuming that the opinions of their friends are representative of the people as a whole. When the great unwashed demonstrate time and again through the ballot box how out of touch the media are, what do we get? An examination of conscience by the media? No, we are told that we have disgraced ourselves again. When will we peasants ever stop letting down The Irish Times?
Excellent Odyessus. On one of VB's programmes during the election campaign, not one political commentator on a panel of 5 or 6 gave FF a chance of getting back into Government.

Even on last night's programme, there was no discussion on how wrong the pudits were. It was whether or not they covered certain issues well enough or not etc. I guess humble pie is a hard dish to swallow

Website
www.finfacts.com
Much of a general election campaign is about economics but political journalists like much of the public find it boring and more often than not haven't relevant facts to challlenge political spoof.

I went to one press briefing - the FF one on the creation of 250,000 jobs over the 2007/2012 period.

I wanted to question Martin on the 6,000 jobs in the exportable goods/services sector from a total of 86,000 that had been created in 2006 and have him provide comparable figures forward. He queried his own agency Forfas' figures and would not give any breakdown of the 50,000 annual projected new jobs.

The economics correspondents of the mainstream media were at a Central Bank briefing and the political journalists were principally interested in Cowen's contention that the 12.5% corp. rate would not be safe with Rabbitte.

The criticism from paid media folk like Harris and Waters about the media's failure to forecast the outcome is a focus on a minor issue.

The Opposition also could have done better with economic facts beyond whose forecast was the more credible.

LowIQ

honestpolitics said:
Vincent is a lunatic, clear and simple, the man changes his mind more often than a two year old in the middle of a meltdown!! he moves from " oh I think you're so great" to " you are the devil incarnate" to "oh I think your great again" - I'm not sure who's more to blame; him for being a little unstable or "us" for even listening to him.

Honest
He was right about McDole.

G

Re: "The Media" and the election- the VB show anal

returning officer said:
Last night there was a discussion on the show about the media and the elections with Browne leveling many criticisms (which were thrown back at him just as well).

In my view this was a very poor election for the media

1) policy was pushed to the side. While the daily press conferences were not exactly lively they were still better than Bertie's finances or Enda's latest photo op.
2) Focus on polls. Over two days. Methodology (codology). Latest. yawn!
3) Bertie v Enda as opposed to the election of 165 TDs
4) Campaigning by newspapers on minority issues eg stamp duty
5) Up until 10.30 on day of close of poll it was all about "alternative Taoieasch" v Bertie, then reality returned.
6) The green party were assumed into the Rainbow without their consent
7) Labour were pushed into corner and couldn't get out
8) Who won the Leaders debate? The pundits v the people's view.
9) Too much focus on that debate.

Perhaps Vincent Browne said it best when he said "The media don't have a clue of the public mind".

Is he correct and are the criticisms justified?
The hounding of Pat Rabitte on the coalition issue was utterly bogus and was really done for the interviewers' edification rather than anything else. FG/Lab had a joint platform - that showed real bone fides and should have been enough.

There were way too many opinion polls. I felt it was unhealthy for our democracy that so much time and attention was going on them. The political parties can carry out their own polls if they need to. The fourth estate did not contribute much by funding and focusing on the figures. (A lot of party political activists let themselves down similarly! All they could talk about were polls and winning and not issues.)

The media, with some honourable exceptions, do not have the requisite grasp to probe on policy issues. I thought the Greens were very impressive throughout the campaign but few people picked up on it.

In fairness it is much easier to write about polls and personalities it is to write about policies and principles. A lot of the journalists don't pretend to be more than off the cuff blank page philosophers. The remainder did an honourable job. The real issue should be th elack of coverage accorded to the opposition in the 2 years leading up tot he election!

shiel

The above debate on this forum on the media at the time of the 2007 election is interesting in retrospect when one considers that the collapse happened in a short period after.

One contributor mentioned the 'impending economic meltdown' but it was not taken up in the discussion or in the media in general.

Instead at the time there were statements in the media saying that

'Banks were probably prevented by the Regulator from being too reckless'.

and

'Celtic tiger still purring despite house price slump'.

We know how wrong that was.

Any comments?

shiel

The fact seems to be that the 'impending economic meltdown' got no mention in the media coverage of the 2007 election.

The opposite seems to have been the case with complacency ruling the roost.

That gets no reaction here.

What does that say?

redmonite

Don't forget that the Sindo had a deal with FF in that election, when it became public... a deafening silence from the media( including P.ie favorite Gene Kerrigan). To his eternal credit Mick Clifford did write an article on it but no one else ran through the door he had opened for them. So when you see a commentator criticizing Denis O' Brien you can be damn sure its not going to cost them anything.

shiel

Don't forget that the Sindo had a deal with FF in that election, when it became public... a deafening silence from the media( including P.ie favorite Gene Kerrigan). To his eternal credit Mick Clifford did write an article on it but no one else ran through the door he had opened for them. So when you see a commentator criticizing Denis O' Brien you can be damn sure its not going to cost them anything.
Look that is getting into partisan party political arguments.

I think that a 'free press' should have done more to warn all of us about the 'impending economic meltdown' during the boom irrespective of who was in government.

This tread from 2007 and any look at the wider press coverage shows that this did not happen.

Surely the biggest calamity since independence should have raised more questions.

Instead all in the garden is rosy was the message and nobody wants to talk about it now.

shiel

The partisan party political protons on here are obviously not interested in why this country was bankrupted by its most powerful citizens during the boom.

They are just interested in making party political capital out of what happened.

TASC reached the following conclusions about media coverage of elections during the boom and it hard to disagree with them.

'Irish newspaper coverage of ... elections trivialised the political process and damaged democracy, according to a TASC report ....

Newspapers failed to inform the public about the issues in the elections, focusing instead on personalities and inter-party conflicts. These were among the findings of research conducted by TASC, the think-tank on social change.'

redmonite

Look that is getting into partisan party political arguments.

I think that a 'free press' should have done more to warn all of us about the 'impending economic meltdown' during the boom irrespective of who was in government.

This tread from 2007 and any look at the wider press coverage shows that this did not happen.

Surely the biggest calamity since independence should have raised more questions.

Instead all in the garden is rosy was the message and nobody wants to talk about it now.
OK I was a bit partisan, but the point I was trying to make is about the media being above critical comment. Shane Ross and Ivan Yates have got the vast majority of their commentary wrong over the last few years, yet no one dares to point this out.
Just last week a Cllr from Dublin was critical of travellers, que Clare Byrne asking should they be censured, Breda O'Brien writes an article in a similar vane, watch the rest of the media dance around the issue, but no criticism of a fellow hack.