The Mendicity Institution celebrates 200 years of Charity to Dublin's Poor & Homeless today

Catalpast

The Mendicity Institution is 200 years old this year

It helps out the Poor and Homeless of Dublin.

President Michael D Higgins will join homeless people for a special ceremony to mark the bicentenary of Dublin’s oldest working charity today.

The Mendicity Institution, which helps homeless people - mostly from Eastern Europe - to find a better future with jobs, food, craft workshops and an employment and integration service, is holding the event at its headquarters at Island Street near Usher's Quay.

One of the men, Boris Georgiev from Bulgaria, said the President’s visit means "this man cares about us".
"I am going to shake his hand. I’m going to talk with him. I know he is a good man. I respect people like this".

It serves 20,000 meals each year it and assists between 50 and 70 homeless people every day.
It also runs an employment integration service, which last year saw 1,700 appointments in Russian, Romanian, Polish, Lithuanian, and English.

85% of people using the services are eastern European.
The breakdown of the main language users are Romanian/Moldovan with over 800 visitors, Polish with around 650, and Lithuanian 150

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0525/965904-mendicity-dublin/

See also: http://www.mendicity.org/history/

Keep up the Good Work!

I hope the men and women who use its services can find regular employment and put a roof over their heads

- with the State almost at Full Employment

- and with a bit of help and a nudge

- nothing is Impossible!

silverharp

Never heard of it until the piece on the news this morning

PAGE61

The Mendicity institute played an important part in the 1916 rising

silverharp

Boy M5

The Mendicity institute played an important part in the 1916 rising
That's only time I heard of it.
Didn't realise still active today.

William_O'Harris

With the population of immigrants and foreign born now around 20% of the population, the requirement for Leaving Cert Irish is creating barriers to entry to the teaching profession among professionals in that 20%. An exemption should be created for those people in subjects where there are shortages of teachers, except of course for the Irish language.

In STEM subjects, critical shortages are reported in the Irish media. I've heard anecdotally from a newspaper editor that county Donegal has only one physics teacher.

So it is scandalous that highly qualified teachers from the EU and immigrants in STEM professions who would like to enter teacher training colleges are shut out of teaching by the onerous Irish language requirement. Are Irish parents whose children are deprived of a STEM education supposed to put up with this to support the myth that Ireland will become a Gaelic speaking country,reversing the decline of the language since the mid 18th century about 270 years ago?

PS In small secondary schools where teachers have to teach a variety of subjects, the teacher without Irish is at a disadvantage in competing for a job. In Irish language and Gaeltacht schools as well as primary schools, the schools are at a disadvantage in recruiting STEM teachers.
A young boy has been arrested for questioning over the murder of Elizabeth Heidi who was killed last week at a deserted farmhouse near her home in Leixlip.

The boys believed to be 13 years old had been questioned previously and have now been arrested to facilitate further questioning after Gardai received results of DNA tests.

Please keep your Hang them high type comments for the pub over the weekend but do try to think how you would feel if your young teenage son or daughter had been murdered, Also try to imagine that your young teenage son or daughter had been arrested over the murder of another young teenager?

How would you cope?

It's not irrelevent at all, it's legal in the country their going to & its legal for Irish people to travel for an abortion (in line with the X Case)

The Gardai have nothing to act on.
http://www.thejournal.ie/ana-kriegel-4033526-May2018/ said:
Two boys arrested over Ana Kriegel murder · TheJournal.ie

Does the HSE not employ laboratory technicians who could have carried out the test in this country?

I believe that outsourcing of cancer testing has put a death sentence on Ms Phelan.

Why was the testing outsourced in the first place?

McTell

Twitter
No
OP

The Mendicity Institution is 200 years old this year

It helps out the Poor and Homeless of Dublin..///

No no no, it was always the Mendacity Institution

petunia

William_O'Harris

The legalisation of abortion in Britain came into effect only 19 years before Thatcher's last general election, which she won by a landslide.
Even if there'd been a massive number of abortions in the 2 years after legalisation, and even if there'd been a massive correlation between party politics and abortion rates, and even if 18 and 19 year-old didn't vote at much lower rates than older voters, there still wouldn't have been enough of them to make even a slight difference to Thatcher's premiership.
Follow through SOAS>>

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies