The Met Gala in 2018

GDPR

The NY Met Gala is an annual event which includes a themed ball. This year the theme was "Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination" and the resulting costumes were amazing, beautiful, ugly, ostentatious, elegant, heavenly, devilish, not really on theme - and so forth.

The ball is just one evening of a six month exhibition and the Vatican happily loaned 42 objects from its collection to the Met, and according to the Daily Beast

The Vatican Is the Real Winner of the Met Gala

The Vatican expected that some of costumes would be outrageous and did not mind apparently. After all, Rihanna has been regularly attending the Gala for several years, and Rihanna wearing something demure and saintly was unlikely:

Katy Perry looked a bit silly as an angel:

Anna Wintour looked elegant (as usual):

Scarlett Johansson wore Marchesa (which many thought was more shocking than some nearly nude costumes) but I say good on her:

but I thought the two best dresses (both by Versace) were worn by Gigi Hadid and Arianna Grande

Gigi's dress was supposed to imitate stained glass, while Arianna's depicted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel:

Lots of other dresses which I won't show, and some of the blokes' frocks were pretty good too. You can find them scattered throughout the WWW.

These worldly displays lasted only a night but they have given a lot of publicity to the six-months' long exhibition. The Daily Beast article concludes:

If Vatican conservatives bristled to see Madonna, a performer who was condemned by the church in 1989 for her song “Like a Virgin,” and Katy Perry, who is in an epic legal battle with a group of nuns in a California convent over property she wants to buy, grace the exhibit opening—dripping in crucifixes and donning angel wings—they didn’t say a word, at least not on the record. After all, the Met display will give a nearly six-month homage to Catholicism, which will last far longer than the sexy selfies and pagan paparazzi photos of the gala event.

What do you think?

Northsideman

Get up the bleedin yard.

Lets see them do Judaism or Islam................... on wait they will run and hide yet Catholicisim is the one they all hate for Intolerance.

Bill

I think you should stop reading the daily mail, putting up a link to the daily beast is fooling nobody.

GDPR

I think you should stop reading the daily mail, putting up a link to the daily beast is fooling nobody.
The only time I read the Daily Mail is when someone posts a link to it. I read the Daily Beast every day.

Would be nice to have some p.iesters who appreciate the dresses :(

GDPR

Lets see them do Judaism or Islam................... on wait they will run and hide yet Catholicisim is the one they all hate for Intolerance.
No doubt there would be outraged comments rather than accepting the gala as a bit of fun which reflects current fashion and zeitgist.

fat finger

Not sure what Katie Perry is up to here, she looks more like a mackerel half swallowed by a giant flatfish

silverharp

yet the internet looses its shiit when a teenage girl wears a chinese prom dress

Bill

The only time I read the Daily Mail is when someone posts a link to it. I read the Daily Beast every day.

Would be nice to have some p.iesters who appreciate the dresses :(
Some of them seem impractical.

Roisin3

The NY Met Gala is an annual event which includes a themed ball. This year the theme was "Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination" and the resulting costumes were amazing, beautiful, ugly, ostentatious, elegant, heavenly, devilish, not really on theme - and so forth.

The ball is just one evening of a six month exhibition and the Vatican happily loaned 42 objects from its collection to the Met, and according to the Daily Beast

The Vatican Is the Real Winner of the Met Gala

The Vatican expected that some of costumes would be outrageous and did not mind apparently. After all, Rihanna has been regularly attending the Gala for several years, and Rihanna wearing something demure and saintly was unlikely:

Riri killed it. She’s always the best. Right down to those little curls at the sides.

Mickeymac

No doubt there would be outraged comments rather than accepting the gala as a bit of fun which reflects current fashion and zeitgist.

Looks a lot of fun to me Grace, hope they dropped some dollars into the fund that alleviates child poverty.

RasherHash

Good point.

You will now be banned for a thousand years for sticking up for Catholicism.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies