The Minor Consequences of Brexit

bactrian

Job losses, financial challenges, business closures are all major issues which will occur after Brexit. These are hugely important and will affect most of us either directly or indirectly(if not us ,close relatives will be directly affected).

There are other, small ,things which will affect us after Brexit . These "small things" are going to be very irritating and I wondered what P.ie might predict that these will be.

For me:

I buy a lot of books from amazon UK . After Brexit I will have to pay VAT on the import of these books. Not a big problem you think .Except that these imports will be stopped in the an Post system and I will have to pay an Post their cost of dealing with the stopped package and payment of tax. On an €30.00 import from the USA I paid €10.00 an Post charges.

Post Brexit I won't be buying books from amazon UK.

I know that many people go online , order clothes, try them on and then return some or all . The EU consumer regulations allow this.
After Brexit, any clothing coming from the UK will require the payment of VAT + an Post charges , and EU regulations will not apply on Right to Return.

What other irritants do you think will occur?

McTell

Twitter
No
How will we get by without pork pies, scotch eggs, marmite, dundee cakes, cornish pasties... all the stuff you don't need to eat.

Dearghoul

Well after Brexit, the UK will lose its AOC rights to certain foodstuffs. Don't know about pasties but anyone anywhere in the world will be free to call their pork pie a 'meton mowbray' pork pie if they want.

HenryHorace

All first world problems and a small price to pay for the enforcement of democracy. If Brexit is defeated all elections may as well be cancelled and just let the elite run the show.

Dearghoul

All first world problems and a small price to pay for the enforcement of democracy. If Brexit is defeated all elections may as well be cancelled and just let the elite run the show.
First world problems.
The title of the thread is the minor consequences of Brexit so it's not concerned with the all too obvious and devastating economic trough opening up before the UK.

'Minor', you see.

Did you even read the first sentence of the OP?

Pyewacket

The elite are running the show in the UK. That is why 160 000 Tory members are going to vote for the next PM, one of whom has said he will prorogue parliament in order to get Brexit through. I mean, **** representative democracy, Dictator Boris will make the laws from now on.

You guys really bought a pig in a poke, didn't you?

McTell

Twitter
No
So its simple, we turn that pig in a poke into pork pies. Renamed Cork pies.

Marmite - MacMite

Battenberg cake - Císte an tsléibhe batten

....you get the picture

HenryHorace

The elite are running the show in the UK. That is why 160 000 Tory members are going to vote for the next PM, one of whom has said he will prorogue parliament in order to get Brexit through. I mean, **** representative democracy, Dictator Boris will make the laws from now on.

I believe in the will of the people being enforced. No excuses.

Talk Back

Job losses, financial challenges, business closures are all major issues which will occur after Brexit. These are hugely important and will affect most of us either directly or indirectly(if not us ,close relatives will be directly affected).

There are other, small ,things which will affect us after Brexit . These "small things" are going to be very irritating and I wondered what P.ie might predict that these will be.

For me:

I buy a lot of books from amazon UK . After Brexit I will have to pay VAT on the import of these books. Not a big problem you think .Except that these imports will be stopped in the an Post system and I will have to pay an Post their cost of dealing with the stopped package and payment of tax. On an €30.00 import from the USA I paid €10.00 an Post charges.

Post Brexit I won't be buying books from amazon UK.

I know that many people go online , order clothes, try them on and then return some or all . The EU consumer regulations allow this.
After Brexit, any clothing coming from the UK will require the payment of VAT + an Post charges , and EU regulations will not apply on Right to Return.

What other irritants do you think will occur?
Off you go - only you are not taking the occupied 6 counties of Ireland with you.

One way or another - the defacto border between Ireland as a whole and Britain will be in the Irish Sea.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes

It has been the practise of populists everywhere to persuade people that now, they, the ordinary folk, are running the show, having snatched power from the unaccountable bureaucrats and Eurocrats. (Likewise with Trump, Salvini..even Berlusconi back in the day) So its the ordinary voter who will decide the trajectory of Brexit, apparently, not the puce-faced Conservative Party membership, scared of being outflanked to the right by Farage, not the Golf Club membership in the East Midlands, not the entitled Old Etonian club. not the ERG, not the financiers eager to make Britain the new Singapore. Really?

shiel

Bullshit.

People in democracies change their minds.

shiel

I believe in the will of the people being enforced. No excuses.
Brexit is the result of decades of anti-EU propaganda by the gutter London media.

In a continent in which imperial/totalitarian powers waged war for centuries tearing up an agreement to cooperate with nearly thirty democracies in matters of mutual interest is racist.

Tearing up the Good Friday Agreement which drew a line under centuries of colonial rule and re-imposing the border on the island of Ireland is racist.

Cobbler91

Brexit is the result of decades of anti-EU propaganda by the gutter London media.

In a continent in which imperial/totalitarian powers waged war for centuries tearing up an agreement to cooperate with nearly thirty democracies in matters of mutual interest is racist.

Tearing up the Good Friday Agreement which drew a line under centuries of colonial rule and re-imposing the border on the island of Ireland is racist.
Oh dear...

There were many factors for why Britain left the EU and I think the media (a lot of which is nauseatingly pro-EU) had little to do with it. It is also the wrong thread to go through such an argument.

Kind of ironic when you hear EU politicians talk of making the EU an empire so they've got their imperial ambitions sorted. Also, free movement favours White Europeans. Is that not racist?

As to the border, I'm quite intrigued as to who is going to build it. Neither the British or Irish governments have said they will build one, so what's going to happen? I would probably wet myself laughing if the EU made Ireland build one in the event one is needed...

In regards the question, as a Brit I may have to fill out a form and pay some money to go to the EU, but I had to do all those things when I went to China and America and they were the best trips of my life so that won't put me off anyway.

Dearghoul

Your yellow press is virulently, anti EU to the point of lying about it on a daily basis.

Examples of EU politicians talking of making the EU an empire please?

shiel

Oh dear...

There were many factors for why Britain left the EU and I think the media (a lot of which is nauseatingly pro-EU) had little to do with it. It is also the wrong thread to go through such an argument.

Kind of ironic when you hear EU politicians talk of making the EU an empire so they've got their imperial ambitions sorted. Also, free movement favours White Europeans. Is that not racist?

As to the border, I'm quite intrigued as to who is going to build it. Neither the British or Irish governments have said they will build one, so what's going to happen? I would probably wet myself laughing if the EU made Ireland build one in the event one is needed...

In regards the question, as a Brit I may have to fill out a form and pay some money to go to the EU, but I had to do all those things when I went to China and America and they were the best trips of my life so that won't put me off anyway.
The EU is a union of nearly thirty democracies in a continent with a history of imperial/totalitarian conflict.

There would be no border in Ireland if the imperial parliament which was governing a quarter of the population of the globe had implemented its own Act giving self rule to the whole island of Ireland in 1912.

But it did not and imposed a border instead.

Northern Ireland was formed as a result.

Despite all that in 1998 Nationalist Ireland voted massively to recognise Northern Ireland until a majority wanted a change.

But Brexiteers have torn up that international agreement.

By denying the facts and indulging in racist contempt Brexiteers are doing major damage to relations on these islands and it is not wise.

Last edited:

jmcc

From what I remember of buying books via Amazon UK, the billing was via Amazon's Luxembourg company. Amazon UK was originally another company (Bookpages.co.uk) run by Simon Murdoch until it was acquired by Amazon in the late 1990s.

Amazon does not have an active Irish website on its dot ie and it just redirects to the UK website. After Brexit it might even redirect to the German Amazon site or a stand-alone Irish site. Amazon will probably try to make things as easy and seamless as possible for Irish customers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies