The Minor Consequences of Brexit

Cobbler91

Cobbler91

The EU is a union of nearly thirty democracies in a continent with a history of imperial/totalitarian conflict.

There would be no border in Ireland if the imperial parliament which was governing a quarter of the population of the globe had implemented its own Acy giving self rule to the whole island of Ireland in 1912.

But it did not and imposed a border instead.

Northern Ireland was formed as a result.

Despite all that in 1989 Nationalist Ireland voted massively to recognise Northern Ireland until a majority wanted a change.

But Brexiteers have torn up that international agreement.

By denying the facts and indulging in racist contempt Brexiteers are doing major damage to relations on these islands and it is not wise.
Of which it will merely add to in time and you will be thrown under the bus of ever closer union when Mr Varadkar has served his purpose of either forcing the UK to handover Northern Ireland or force the UK to accept a woeful deal.

Imperial Parliament? Catchy... I think that's a very one sided view of the matter and ignoring a large number of facts such as the discontent in Northern Ireland which needed to be resolved unless you wanted a civil war right off the bat of being granted Dominion status. You also ignored that little thing known as World War One...

Do you mean 1998? In terms of the Good Friday Agreement, the EU (much like our leader of the opposition) is conspicuous by its absence. You should be thanking America for that. In fact, I don't recall the EU/EEC doing anything in general in the Northern Irish conflict.

shiel

Of which it will merely add to in time and you will be thrown under the bus of ever closer union when Mr Varadkar has served his purpose of either forcing the UK to handover Northern Ireland or force the UK to accept a woeful deal.

Imperial Parliament? Catchy... I think that's a very one sided view of the matter and ignoring a large number of facts such as the discontent in Northern Ireland which needed to be resolved unless you wanted a civil war right off the bat of being granted Dominion status. You also ignored that little thing known as World War One...

Do you mean 1998? In terms of the Good Friday Agreement, the EU (much like our leader of the opposition) is conspicuous by its absence. You should be thanking America for that. In fact, I don't recall the EU/EEC doing anything in general in the Northern Irish conflict.
First of all thank you. It is of course 1998. My error.

Do you think that membership of the EU is a 'woeful deal'?

All sovereign states have vetoes in matters of vital national interest.

In relation to the Act giving self rule to the whole island with a parliament in Dublin if the 'discontent in Northern Ireland' was going to stop it then the imperial parliament had no reason to spend two years hard work passing the Act.

They could just have told Redmond leader of the Irish party no can do.

If the most powerful parliament in the world spent two years passing an Act one would expect it to implement it.

They were keeping law and order for quarter the population of the globe. What Churchill at the time called half a province should have been no problem.

Using ww1 as an excuse is so much hogwash.

The Act was still on the statute books after the war was over.

Imposing the border has ensured conflict ever since and led to the GFA.

It also led to a major international frontier now and the tearing up of an international treaty by the Brexiteers.

TippSkyBlue

To the OP - surely you can order from an EU Amazon Branch?
Yes you can. I have been ordering from the German site, amazon.de for years, since before brexit, as I objected to being ripped off with the currency exchange with the UK site.
When you access amazon.de, the page comes up in german, but there is a language selector button at the top of the page, so you can change the language to english.
Your logon details, saved payments and delivery address are still the same as for the UK site.
You are billed in euros, and in my experience the goods are usually cheaper (including postage) than from the UK site. If there is a no deal brexit, then it will definitely be much cheaper.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies