The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See

SirCharles

The original title is "Arithmetic, Population and Energy".
It's 8 episodes, but well worth watching it through to the end if you want to understand the meaning of growth as the driving factor in our economy.
The conclusion is that our capitalist system, as it exists, is a dead concept because it is unsustainable.
But watch and judge yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY&feature=PlayList&p=88D980B67657B93B&index=0&playnext=1"]YouTube- The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See (part 1 of 8)[/ame]

If Autoplay doesn't work for you here the links to all parts of the film:

Last edited:

Agnotologist

I watched part but have not the time for the rest at the moment. Interesting!

zerodayronin

good on ya

Seen it before, but a good piece on sustainability.

TonyBird

This is the most important video you will ever see ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnoD3NUux3M]YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #9: Nobel. health care. United Nations.[/ame]

SirCharles

Seemingly some posters are more interested in derailing threads than contributing anything to the subject. If you think you are that funny why don't you go and 'contibute' your jokes in the zoo?

The last 25 years the world population has doubled.
The exploitation of our planet's oil resources tripled last century in only 25 years and is reaching peak now.
If we don't take the problems serious immediately and take countermeasures soon our children will experience catastrophic conditions.
The unsustainable way we are living nowadays will destroy the livelihood of humankind and many other species on our beloved planet.

gayguy2000

sigh... humans are powered by greed. Nothing will change, we'll consume ourselves into destruction. The apocalypse is nigh, i just hope not in my lifetime.

Brehon

Website
www.irishliberalparty.org
The piece on oil I found the most interesting where in 1980 more people where using oil per capita or something. Anyway peak oil has already happened 30 years ago. The multipler effect of GDP growth also shows how unsustainable growth is, tell it to chinese! When will it crash over there?

The class look like they want to go straight to the pub and get locked.

Brehon

Website
sigh... humans are powered by greed. Nothing will change, we'll consume ourselves into destruction. The apocalypse is nigh, i just hope not in my lifetime.
that's human nature for sure. Almost every civilization in the past expended its resources and that was the cause of them failing from south east asia, north africa, middle east, central and south america and Rome failed for economic reasons as well, hyperinflation, price instability, the coinage system failed because it was devalued so much over the 3rd, 4th and 5th centuries.

Basically the way I see human society panning out over this century and next century is eventual expenditure of world resources, massive 70% decline in population over a 30-50 year timeframe, small group of technologically advanced societies that keep others out. Maybe I should write a sci-fi novel?

unless there is mass exodus of people to Mars by somehow using technology to sustain live there, unlikely, the above will happen.
I love to come back in a few thousand years to see what happened.

Evestown2

As the Prof says. Mans greatest failure is his inability to understand the exponential function.

This probably is the most important video you will ever see. although for most is is the most inportant video they will never see.

Tombo

As the Prof says. Mans greatest failure is his inability to understand the exponential function.

This probably is the most important video you will ever see. although for most is is the most inportant video they will never see.
Well then the Prof's greatest failure is his inabiilty to understand technological progress, economies of scale and the negative income elasticity of population growth.

This is probably one of the dumbest videos you will ever see.

Brehon

Website
that's human nature for sure. Almost every civilization in the past expended its resources and that was the cause of them failing from south east asia, north africa, middle east, central and south america and Rome failed for economic reasons as well, hyperinflation, price instability, the coinage system failed because it was devalued so much over the 3rd, 4th and 5th centuries.

Basically the way I see human society panning out over this century and next century is eventual expenditure of world resources, massive 70% decline in population over a 30-50 year timeframe, small group of technologically advanced societies that keep others out. Maybe I should write a sci-fi novel?

unless there is mass exodus of people to Mars by somehow using technology to sustain live there, unlikely, the above will happen.
I love to come back in a few thousand years to see what happened.

SirCharles

Well then the Prof's greatest failure is his inabiilty to understand technological progress, economies of scale and the negative income elasticity of population growth.

This is probably one of the dumbest videos you will ever see.
Oh, Professor Tombo has spoken again. Which wise expertise.
I doubt you even watched the whole video.
Would have wondered me if you hadn't sqeezed some shyte out of your head on this subject.

SirCharles

The piece on oil I found the most interesting where in 1980 more people where using oil per capita or something. Anyway peak oil has already happened 30 years ago. The multipler effect of GDP growth also shows how unsustainable growth is, tell it to chinese! When will it crash over there?

The class look like they want to go straight to the pub and get locked.
You only show us that you didn't really watch the video.

Hope that people with your attitude never reproduce. Would be a good step into a more sustainable future.

owedtojoy

You only show us that you didn't really watch the video.

Hope that people with your attitude never reproduce. Would be a good step into a more sustainable future.
The pessimistic view is the one originated by Thomas Malthus - ultimately, population is limited by the resources, and overpopulation, war and/ or famine is inevitable.

The opposing view is that of the Cornupcopians led by Julian Simon - technology and human ingenuity will always avert the Malthusian meltdown.

My own view is that netiher is correct. The Cornucopians are apallingly naive. Malthusians are too bleak in thier outlook. At least Malthus did try to take resource and environmental factors into his economic outlook (cruel and all as it was - the British Gov used it to shrug off the Famine).

There are examples of human societies which have suffered Malthusian collapse, and those which have averted it. Usually, a strained situation is turned into a disaster by a sudden event, which happens before longer term mitigation can take place - the blight and the Great Famine, for example. Demographic historians now see many social changes (like trends in later marriage, smaller families and emigration) happening BEFORE the Famine, but the blight changed everything.

A good book which looks at these issues is Jared Diamond's Collapse. Examples of societies which suffered collapse because of environmental disaster are the Anastazi of SW US, the Maya, the Greenland Viking colony, and the Easter Islanders. He also suggests the Rwanda genocide arose partly from Malthusian competition. Contrary examples are Japan, Holland, Bali and Tikopia in the Pacific Ocean.

Societies which survive do so by effective decision making and focusing on what they need to survive as a community.

Tombo

Oh, Professor Tombo has spoken again. Which wise expertise.
I doubt you even watched the whole video.
Would have wondered me if you hadn't sqeezed some shyte out of your head on this subject.
You really do have to accept that this is a very old broken record. We have been "doomed to run out of resources" in petpetuity since recorded time began. You know I have been chastised more than once before supposedly "ignoring the inevitable", around 1975 in particular when someone called me irresponsible and ignorant for suggesting that the world would not run out of oil by the year 2000.

It is just the medium of communication of such alarmist drivel that has progressed, from sandwich boards to press to radio, television and on to youtube - surely the font of all knowledge in the universe. :lol:

Tombo

The pessimistic view is the one originated by Thomas Malthus - ultimately, population is limited by the resources, and overpopulation, war and/ or famine is inevitable.

The opposing view is that of the Cornupcopians led by Julian Simon - technology and human ingenuity will always avert the Malthusian meltdown.

My own view is that netiher is correct. The Cornucopians are apallingly naive. Malthusians are too bleak in thier outlook. At least Malthus did try to take resource and environmental factors into his economic outlook (cruel and all as it was - the British Gov used it to shrug off the Famine).

There are examples of human societies which have suffered Malthusian collapse, and those which have averted it. Usually, a strained situation is turned into a disaster by a sudden event, which happens before longer term mitigation can take place - the blight and the Great Famine, for example. Demographic historians now see many social changes (like trends in later marriage, smaller families and emigration) happening BEFORE the Famine, but the blight changed everything.

A good book which looks at these issues is Jared Diamond's Collapse. Examples of societies which suffered collapse because of environmental disaster are the Anastazi of SW US, the Maya, the Greenland Viking colony, and the Easter Islanders. He also suggests the Rwanda genocide arose partly from Malthusian competition. Contrary examples are Japan, Holland, Bali and Tikopia in the Pacific Ocean.

Societies which survive do so by effective decision making and focusing on what they need to survive as a community.
You aren't even as dumb as a bag of hammers.

SirCharles

Wisely spoken (or better written) your last sentence.
Wouldn't you agree that we have to challenge overpopulation as well as overcomsumption of world's resources then?

The birth rate in developed countries has been going downwards.
Germany for example has a decreasing native population.
Wouldn't it make sense to support the so called third world and the countries intermediate to become developed too?

Would it also not make sense to tackle peak oil, climate change and within the concluding aftermath? I think we can agree that steady growth causes future problems and soesn't solve them.

You really do have to accept that this is a very old broken record. We have been "doomed to run out of resources" in petpetuity since recorded time began. You know I have been chastised more than once before supposedly "ignoring the inevitable", around 1975 in particular when someone called me irresponsible and ignorant for suggesting that the world would not run out of oil by the year 2000.

It is just the medium of communication of such alarmist drivel that has progressed, from sandwich boards to press to radio, television and on to youtube - surely the font of all knowledge in the universe. :lol:
Climate scientist know today more than 20 years ago. Only a handful of scientists of the 60s, 50s and even before that had the vision to foresee the situation we are now in. But these couldn't be seen in the mainstream media. They are gaining more respect now, as this often is the case.

Despite the fact that the vast majority of the climate scientists are proclaiming climate change there are more inputs of the climate sceptics to be seen in fora like YouTube et al. Where does that come from? Seemingly they have more money as their lobyists are mostly corporations making high profits in doing 'business as usual'. Also people don't want to change their livestyle. It is much easier to get told that 'everything is fine' instead of accepting prognoses which can hardly be recognised now (I think this is just changing) and which are frightening and demand inconvenient action.

One example is CFC. Scientist in the 50s already found out that chlorofluorocarbon depletes the planet's ozonosphere which protects the earth's surface from the penetration of certain kinds of ultraviolet radiation. But it takes about 30 years until that gas has risen and does its impact for a lifetime of about 100 years. This problem had just been ignored until 1987 where CFCs were banned by the Montreal Protocol, and production should be finally abolished by this year. Amongst other things the well-known 'ozone whole' has caused an increase in skin cancer. More here

We should have learnt from all that. Ignoring the problems and just going back to 'business as usual' will fail in the result that our children and granchildren will have to pay an evil higher price for that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies