The mother of all icebergs leaving the Larsen Shelf and wetting your toes tonight.....

Spirit Of Newgrange

For some time now this crack in the ice shelf has been growing and expanding. Even as we approach mid-winter in the Southern seas, the experts are saying that the 'calving moment' of the giant berg is imminent. Approximately the size of Samoa ( that is Meath plus Louth to yourself ), there are reports of cliffs of ice that descend hundreds of metres to the sea.

And just a few questions spring to mind :

- how significant is this ?
- to what extent does it imperil our sea levels ?
- can the ice packs recover this event ?
- is there an historical precedent to explain these phenomena ?

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.

The world

D

Deleted member 17573

For some time now this crack in the ice shelf has been growing and expanding. Even as we approach mid-winter in the Southern seas, the experts are saying that the 'calving moment' of the giant berg is imminent. Approximately the size of Samoa ( that is Meath plus Louth to yourself ), there are reports of cliffs of ice that descend hundreds of metres to the sea.

The world

This has been puzzling me as I assumed that calving was temperature driven and would, therefore, occur in Summer. Are there other influences at work here?

bmw1

I cant answer that but recently speaking to a couple of US republican supporters and they deny flat that global warming exists . These people believe everything the pope believes except for this,
I find it hard to see but that alot more ice shelves will calf before these folk wise up.

eventually then is that some scheme or chemical will have to be devised to freeze it again in 50 yrs time

Sadly,People tend to be reactive rather than proactive

Wagmore

I blame Eamon Ryan's facility for expelling methane through his mouth

EUrJokingMeRight

How much will evaporate before causing the ocean temperature to cool drastically?

Swings and roundabouts and all that.

RasherHash

The world
It's not wetting our toes yet, did you exaggerate that bit?

redneck

Beginning of the End stuff?

eoghanacht

Climate change wha?

Wascurito

Don't worry about global warming.

The Earth is flat.

The water will just spill over the edges.

benroe

The world
This is a tad alarmist, the ice is already displacing water so it won't raise the sea level at all and as for the temperature, I don't know, how much cooler would a swimming pool be if you added an ice cube?

JCR

This kind of event will happen all the time now. And the truth is nobody either knows or is saying publically where things are going with this. The only thing that has been said really as far as I'm aware of is that if Artic Methane sees the light of day its curtains in terms of warming.

Fractional Reserve

This kind of event will happen all the time now. And the truth is nobody either knows or is saying publically where things are going with this. The only thing that has been said really as far as I'm aware of is that if Artic Methane sees the light of day its curtains in terms of warming.
Where did you get that info from?

PC Principle

The world
Yawn.

Who cares.

Sipping margaritas by my pool in 47c heat right now.

Loving life right now.

What ever will be will, be dum dum.

LadyLou

The problem is, that people alive now all over the world don't care.

Why should they? They will be long dead before the full effects of the earth's warming

will be felt.

And if you are young....................Great grand children, who are they and why

should we care. We won't know them. Not important to todays population.

Spirit Of Newgrange

New Threads

Most Replies