• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The mountain activities appreciation society

Dadaist

This thread is dedicated to the full range of sports and activities that people get up to in the mountains of Ireland and farther afield. I mainly mountain climb and hike myself, but I'd love to hear about all the other goings on, such as hill running, rock climbing, mountain biking etc.

Feel free to share routes, loops (I do love a good mountain loop) and specific areas for the activity you do. People are always on the lookout for locations they have never tried before.

With the inherent dangers associated with going into mountain areas, if people want to post experiences where they have got lost, got into dangerous situations etc. Any examples would be helpful for beginners to avoid problematic situations and for more experienced practitioners who can just as easily get into trouble from time to time.

I believe it is not too far off the hill running season, so if people want to post information about competitions for it and all other mountain sports, by all means do.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
There's a book called "The upper lakes of County Wicklow". Probably out of print now, but back in the 90's I made it a mission to go to each one of them. Sturdy boots, a flask of tea and a box of hang sangwidges. Bliss.

Dadaist

There's a book called "The upper lakes of County Wicklow". Probably out of print now, but back in the 90's I made it a mission to go to each one of them. Sturdy boots, a flask of tea and a box of hang sangwidges. Bliss.
Bliss indeed. Funny, I am about 60/70% through my present mission of climbing every peak in Wicklow. I have a day off tomorrow and I'm going to try and hit Lugnaquilla in the sun. I have never seen the plateaux on a clear day, without any thick cloud.

MaireadKelly1

Went to Glendalough with my daughter at the end of last March. We did the walk round by the two lakes. Had our picnic!
The weather was fantastic - temperatures in the high 70s! Really!! Views from "on high" were fabulous!!!

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Bliss indeed. Funny, I am about 60/70% through my present mission of climbing every peak in Wicklow. I have a day off tomorrow and I'm going to try and hit Lugnaquilla in the sun. I have never seen the plateaux on a clear day, without any thick cloud.
Jammy get! Would love to be back there. You walked the Spink yet? Turlough Hill (under the fence you go!) Tonlagee (Arse to the wind; what a great and appropriate name) and Mullaghcleevaun? The cliff ridge of Cloghernagh above the gorgeous valley of Glenmalure? (Eagles and Ravens abide) You should try the wicklow way too. I took a week off to do it in the 90's too. It's a great walk. Fair play.

MaireadKelly1

Donard is the only climb I've done in the Mourne's. I must plan a weekend up there. It's my brothers favourite range of it's size.
Would love to do this. Often go to visit family in Newry - love the drive on a fine day. Beautiful part of the country.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Went to Glendalough with my daughter at the end of last March. We did the walk round by the two lakes. Had our picnic!
The weather was fantastic - temperatures in the high 70s! Really!! Views from "on high" were fabulous!!!
You should head up to the abandoned mining village at foot of the Glenelo valley. (Waterproof boots required) You can head on over from there on towards Turlough Hill. The place is magical and haunting in the depths of Winter.

vanla sighs

Hiked in the MacGillycuddy Reeks as a teenager, Sea Scouts (what Sea Scouts were doing hiking up mountains I still don't know), long time ago. Spent a short time near a small town (village) called Agioi Deka in central Crete, (worked harvesting olives with local farmers and hitching my way around the island), loads of mountains there, lovely scenery, barren and dry enough but really nice. Got a cab, did it the easy way, from Blagoevgrad in Bulgaria to the Macedonian border once, mountains there, nice. Was in Val D'Isere in the French Alps once (in summer), absolutely stunning place.

Last edited:

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Lucky enough to live near the Reeks, Mangertons, Brandon group etc. so out hiking and climbing most weekends.

MaireadKelly1

You should head up to the abandoned mining village at foot of the Glenelo valley. (Waterproof boots required) You can head on over from there on towards Turlough Hill. The place is magical and haunting in the depths of Winter.
We did get as far as the mining village. No wellies neeeded that day! It was unseasonally hot. (80 degrees in March!!)
We were so glad of the cool breeze when we had climbed way up above the lakes!! Round trip took us about three
hours. Originally thought I was going for a leisurely walk in Glendalough, but should have known better! My daughter
had previously done the Wicklow Way shortly after her return from Australia. As you know, it takes about a week.
She had done it in very warm summer weather (we are still talking about Ireland!!) with a knapsack on her back. So,
the Glendalough climb was just a doddle for her!!

Dadaist

Jammy get! Would love to be back there. You walked the Spink yet? Turlough Hill (under the fence you go!) Tonlagee (Arse to the wind; what a great and appropriate name) and Mullaghcleevaun? The cliff ridge of Cloghernagh above the gorgeous valley of Glenmalure? (Eagles and Ravens abide) You should try the wicklow way too. I took a week off to do it in the 90's too. It's a great walk. Fair play.
All of the above. The top of the cliff ridge of Cloghernagh was one hell of a sight for sore eyes once, when me and couple of others got lost in a white out on our decent loop from Lugnaquilla. Walking along the path on top of the cliffs and and being only able to see about 20m of the drop over the edge, straight into the adyss of clouds, was both daunting and exhilarating.

Well, clear day Lug here I come. I say clear, with Lugnaquilla you just never can tell, she can be a cantankerous beast!

Astral Peaks

Good idea for a thread, well done that man.