• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The MP, the football club and the fascist manager.

Iphonista

The Labour MP for South Shields, David Milliband has resigned from his position as vice-chairman of Sunderland FC over the appointment of Paolo di Canio as new manager. Apparently, di Canio has been seen in the past giving some Roman salutes to fans. He also described himself as a fascist but insists he is "not a racist".

Are we not getting a little hung up on symbols like salutes? I don't recall di Canio ever making a racist statement and let's face it, there are CEOS, managers etc. out there that actually are racists but no-one seems to be resigning from those companies.

Milliband is leaving British politics to take up a position with a charity in the USA. Is he just using this "controversy" to justify a move he'd be making soon any way?

David Miliband Quits Sunderland Over Di Canio

Mods, this issue is about more than football. It's a general question of whether one endorses someone else's position by working with them or in their company or being associated with them.

dresden8

It's a strange day when one can defend oneself as a fascist.

If any of this is true.

I don't follow football so I don't know the ins and outs of the macho wánkfest.

Boy M5

I presumeyou know what a Roman Salute is?

Northtipp

The MP for South Shields, David Milliband has resigned from his position as vice-chairman of Sunderland FC over the appointment of Paolo di Canio as new manager. Apparently, di Canio has been seen in the past giving some Roman salutes to fans. He also described himself as a fascist but insists he is "not a racist".

Are we not getting a little hung up on symbols like salutes? I don't recall di Canio ever making a racist statement and let's face it, there are CEOS, managers etc. out there that actuall are racists but no-one seems to be resigning from those companies.

Milliband is leaving British politics to take up a position with a charity in the USA. Is he just using this "controversy" to justify a move he'd be making soon any way?

Mods, this issue is about more than football. It's a general question of whether one endorses someone else's position by working with them or in their company or being associated with them.
@arturpetrosyan: #Sunderland will now probably become the English #Zenit and go on without any black players in the team. #DiCanio http://t.co/uCHTf6S8Uh

Iphonista

It's a strange day when one can defend oneself as a fascist.

If any of this is true.

I don't follow football so I don't know the ins and outs of the macho wánkfest.
What objectionable views does he hold?

Mr. Bumble

The MP for South Shields, David Milliband has resigned from his position as vice-chairman of Sunderland FC over the appointment of Paolo di Canio as new manager. Apparently, di Canio has been seen in the past giving some Roman salutes to fans. He also described himself as a fascist but insists he is "not a racist".

Are we not getting a little hung up on symbols like salutes? I don't recall di Canio ever making a racist statement and let's face it, there are CEOS, managers etc. out there that actuall are racists but no-one seems to be resigning from those companies.

There is no 'apparently', he does give fascist salutes I'm a fascist, not a racist, says Paolo di Canio - Telegraph. The history of fascism is wedded to racism, and fascism has destroyed countries and nations in the recent past - not least Di Canio's homeland. If Di Canio tries to portray fascism as non-racist then he's either uneducated or he's a liar. Milliband was right to resign.

Iphonista

There is no 'apparently', he does give fascist salutes I'm a fascist, not a racist, says Paolo di Canio - Telegraph. The history of fascism is wedded to racism, and fascism has destroyed countries and nations in the recent past - not least Di Canio's homeland. If Di Canio tries to portray fascism as non-racist then he's either uneducated or he's a liar. Milliband was right to resign.
Something tells me that if he'd said he was a communist, everything would be fine.

Ribeye

Saw this earlier on the Tweet Tweet,

Is Di Canio the guy who pushed over that wimp ref?

Even if he is a fascist, it's a bit rich of Millipod the Elder,

Given that he has the blood of hundreds of thousands of innocent people on his hands,

Btw - it wouldn't be a good time for anyone to try to justify the Iraq invasion, as I'm watching The Hurt Locker in tv3 and iv had a bottle of wine,

You have been warned,

Mr. Bumble

Something tells me that if he'd said he was a communist, everything would be fine.
That would be the voices in your head. See a psychiatrist if they persist.

grumpydunphy

Mods! MODS!!!

Can we please have this thread lightly related to foreign footballing matters removed from the front page please!!! petunia

Standards, like..... petunia

Northtipp

Made me laugh;

@CharlesLawley: Replacing Martin O'Neill with Paolo Di Canio is like stopping your sober mate from driving your car & getting a hen on crystal meth to do it

Mr. Bumble

Mods! MODS!!!

Can we please have this thread lightly related to foreign footballing matters removed from the front page please!!! petunia

Standards, like..... petunia
The OP is right. It's essentially a political matter especially with Milliband's involvement.

darkhorse

Perhaps also surprising that di Canio accepted the position of Sunderland Manager with Milliband as Vice-Chairman - given Millibands role as Head of Policy Unit under Tony Blair and Foreign Secretary under Gordon Brown. While he might not like diCanio's roman salute, he seems ok with involvement in the prosecution of the Iraq war in various roles.
A bit of old pompous claptrap if you ask me ..

Sync

It's a pretty reasonable position from Milliband, but one that's made easier by the fact that he's off the New York imminently to live.

One would wonder what level of due diligence the club engaged in over the appointment. They're sponsored by Invest Africa and Di Canio's a fascist lunatic.

Iphonista

That would be the voices in your head. See a psychiatrist if they persist.
Nope.That would be the left-wing bias in much of the media.

And why is it A Bad Thing for the Italians to admire their imperial heroes while it's perfectly fine for the French and British to do it? Hmmmm.

parentheses

The Italian fascists were not quite in the same league as the nazis, though.

The Italian army and Fascist officials actually saved a lot of Jews during the war.

Popular Threads

Most Replies