• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The mystery of the woman with a 'mobile phone' in a 1928 film clip

TommyO'Brien

A bit of a mystery has been tantalising US television viewers, you tube viewers and some of the print media in the last few days. It involves a clip of a woman walking down the street past an advertising for the last film of a prominent actor, talking into an apparent mobile phone. Nothing odd in that you may think - except that the clip is 82 years old, dating from 1928! :eek:

The image captured shows the old woman walking down the street, past some odd stuffed animals that were displayed on the sidewalk to advertise Charlie Chaplin's new film, The Circus, released in 1928.

Various theories have been trotted out - what she has in her hand is a Siemens 1924 hearing aid, an ear trumpet, an actual mobile phone, or most bizarrely of all, that the cameraman had captured a supposed 'time traveller' who had travelled back from the start of the 21st century with a mobile phone to 1928 and happened to be captured walking past ad advert for the latest Charlie Chaplin movie. :p

Time-travel may be theoretically possible according to people like Stephen Hawking, but the difficulties even in getting a human being to travel one second make it effectively impossible. So that can be ruled out.

But what then is she doing? What is in her hand? And why does she look like she is talking into what is in her hand?

An old style ear-trumpet can be ruled out. One slightly convincing argument is that it is a 1923 Siemens hearing aid, a big bulky thing that had to be held up to someone's ear the way people today use mobile phones.

But the hearing aid solution does have two problems with it -

• Those hearing aids were only used to listen to speech, not ordinary sounds. So why would someone be holding a hearing aid up to their ear while walking down the street?
  • Even more mysteriously, why did she appear to be talking into it? The last two frames of her, when zoomed in on, show her appear to be talking into whatever is in her hand. But most bizarrely of all, the last frame shows her facial expression change as it would if you were involved in a conversation on a phone and reacting to what someone had said.
BTW, the image captured shows the old woman walking down the street, behind some odd stuffed animals that were displayed on the sidewalk - maybe an antiques shop, or shop selling stuffed animals, or a movie theatre showing a film with animals was nearby. An old man is walking along, followed by the old woman appearing to talk to something in her hand. It comes from the extras attached to a DVD release of Chaplin's 'The Circus' - showing the film being advertising on its release.

So far no-one has come up with a convincing solution that explains everything.

See what you think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIrpEMbQ2M&feature=related]YouTube - Time Traveler Caught on Film - Time Traveler Cell Phone - Charlie Chaplin Time Traveler[/ame]

CookieMonster

scratching her ear.

Oppenheimer

Ah, to times more simple and uncluttered.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w]YouTube - Women: Know Your Limits! Harry Enfield - BBC comedy[/ame]

blinding

Can I have her number as she is one hot babe.

She sure has dainty feet and well she could do some interesting stuff with that nose.

This combined with her classic bulldozer gait makes her damned attractive to me.

Okay all this may have been to discourage (it would'nt have worked with me mind) nusiance male attention (a particular hazard to time travellers).

Could somebody be winding us up ! ! !

lobby

Well, even to consider the nonsensical idea that she was a time traveller accidentally caught on camera, just possessing a mobile phone in 1928 wouldn't allow you to use it. There were no masts, networks, or anything else required for it to work. So it would've been useless.

Unless it's from a much more advanced time in the future and doesn't require any network..........

blinding

Well, even to consider the nonsensical idea that she was a time traveller accidentally caught on camera, just possessing a mobile phone in 1928 wouldn't allow you to use it. There were no masts, networks, or anything else required for it to work. So it would've been useless.

Unless it's from a much more advanced time in the future and doesn't require any network..........
This may explain the over sized shoes and the big nose and their could be all kinds of things going on under the hat an coat.

Its all beggining to come clear to me now. Inside that outfit there may be a self contained time travel machine !

Dorris

Is Bollíx an ainm ar an program seo, it's a ringer, Youtube allows people to occupy their own bowels with a lively like camera angle.

Twin Towers

Another thought is that they were short of female extras and that is instead a man trying best as he can to cover his face.

Podolski1.5

Judging by her attire she must have come from the past rather than the future. Possibly the 1890s.

blinding

I think she is FFail's most valued economic advisor and she is advising Bluffo on how to run the economy.

It was her economic advice that led to the great depression (hence the disguise)

FFail, we can be assured will stop at nothing to do the best for us.

Simon.D

I'd say she's just hiding her face from the camera (trying not to have her soul sucked away!).. and the people filming said something to her (probably about hiding her face), which is why she turned to look at them and say something... Back then, with no audio being recorded, the people behind the camera were probably screaming and shouting directions at those on camera...

sgtharper

Toothache?

owedtojoy

An early version of "talk to the hand"?

Who was operating a mobile network in 1928? They need radio masts and infrastructure to transmit the digitized signal. I doubt if the analogue technology they used back then was capable of handling a mobile phone signal.

Maybe its a disguised Spock talking to the Enterprise somewhere in orbit?

needle_too

This thread is a waste of pixels....

Propforward

An early version of "talk to the hand"?

Who was operating a mobile network in 1928? They need radio masts and infrastructure to transmit the digitized signal. I doubt if the analogue technology they used back then was capable of handling a mobile phone signal.

Maybe its a disguised Spock talking to the Enterprise somewhere in orbit?
Its funny how people try to conjure up vague objections on technical grounds to why this is not a time traveller.

Firstly a person who can travel through time could probably work out how to set u a quick voip wireless network with a few well placed routers around a city - even with commercially available equipment now i could set up full network coverage around a low lying city like LA in a few days.

Secondly someone who has mastered time travel has probably mastered and contained some kind of wormhole technology where the device may allow them to talk directly to the future.

Science fiction has an uncanny knack of becoming science fact when someone sees an application and has enough money to throw at it.

The funny thing about timetravel is that it could be happening every day and we'd never know.

CookieMonster

The funny thing about timetravel is that it could be happening every day and we'd never know.
Surely we would know. I mean, if somebody were to develop time travel, even an experimental lab under the pentagon or wherever, it's impossible to say that that technology would stay a secret for the rest of the existance of humanity. Given that, like any technology, assuming it worked, would over time become an every day thing, like air travel, and thus people would be popping back and forth in time ever second of the day. And given that, why would my son's son's son's son not come back from 2245 and tell me tonight's lotto numbers so that I would win, add in some investment advice and allow me to great a vast fortune off which he and his grandparents and their grandparents could live off of.