The mystery of the woman with a 'mobile phone' in a 1928 film clip

LeDroit

The woman is not a feckin time traveller. She's a middle aged woman embarrassed about being on camera. She's covering her face in a self conscious way and then turns to someone off camera and smiles while presumably saying 'I'm mortified Bridie!'.

This thread is important though. It illuminates a need in human beings to see a complex conspiracy in the most banal of events.

owedtojoy

Surely we would know. I mean, if somebody were to develop time travel, even an experimental lab under the pentagon or wherever, it's impossible to say that that technology would stay a secret for the rest of the existance of humanity. Given that, like any technology, assuming it worked, would over time become an every day thing, like air travel, and thus people would be popping back and forth in time ever second of the day. And given that, why would my son's son's son's son not come back from 2245 and tell me tonight's lotto numbers so that I would win, add in some investment advice and allow me to great a vast fortune off which he and his grandparents and their grandparents could live off of.
Digression, but Mack Reynolds wrote a short story on that theme... can't remember the name.

A banker in 15th century Venice gets a mysterious visitor who gives him a purse of coins, asking him to invest them and giving him advice about the current politics of Europe.

A century later he turns up with proof of identity. His money has grown into a considerable fortune, but he advises the banker (actually, his grandson) to move to Amsterdam and invest in Dutch trading companies.

One hundred years later, he advises a move to London and re-investment in the British Empire. A century after that, he advises investment in the new Industrial Revolution and in the new USA. By this time, the bank is so rich and the fortune so large, the bank's directors are running the world behind the scenes.

Come the 20th century, they have now twigged that the original coins are American dollars and that the mysterious visitor is a time traveller. They call the world's foremost physicist, Professor X (forget the name). He tells them that time travel is possible but it would take an enormous effort to construct a time machine - a sort of Manhattan Project and Moonshot to the power of a million.

As they wait for the traveller to arrive on his due date, who walks in but Professor X claiming to be the "mysterious stranger"! He proves his identity, and demands that the entire forture (most of the world's wealth) be cashed in so he can build a time machine, go back in time and invest some money to build up the fortune .... to build a time machine.

The theme of the story is the futility of human endeavour and human history. Pessimistic, but well worked out.

Last edited:

blinding

I (a fellow time traveller) was due to meet this "ladyie" for a blind date.

I was a bit nervous and remained in the shadows. When I perused this vision of loveliness I became a lot more nervous. I to my shame bottled it and had to recourse to the old mobile and concoct a diplomatic reason for the old no show.

I/we were just a little careless with the old time traveller protocols. I just felt it my duty to clear up this mystery and all I have to say is beware of the blind date lottery !

Cai

Can I have her number as she is one hot babe.

She sure has dainty feet and well she could do some interesting stuff with that nose.

This combined with her classic bulldozer gait makes her damned attractive to me.
She presumably resides in a cemetery somewhere.

gweedore

i think this clip proves the moon landings were faked and 9/11 was a cia black op
maybe

Propforward

Surely we would know. I mean, if somebody were to develop time travel, even an experimental lab under the pentagon or wherever, it's impossible to say that that technology would stay a secret for the rest of the existance of humanity. Given that, like any technology, assuming it worked, would over time become an every day thing, like air travel, and thus people would be popping back and forth in time ever second of the day. And given that, why would my son's son's son's son not come back from 2245 and tell me tonight's lotto numbers so that I would win, add in some investment advice and allow me to great a vast fortune off which he and his grandparents and their grandparents could live off of.
Ok say there was a technology that existed that allowed time travel - do you think it would be commercially available? Or as some kind of tourist industry.
It's more powerful than all the bombs in the world.

It would be used by a single entity to change the present and it would be used as a permanent control - if people became aware of it, it would be known in the future so
the circumstances of how they became aware would be removed.

Essentially The time traveller or the controller of the technology becomes God.

RahenyFG

this offers an explanation of the clip[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCERaUBHoe0&feature=related]YouTube - Secrets of the Charlie Chaplin Time Traveler Cell Phone Simpler Explanation[/ame]

Riadach

Tooth ache using an icepack?

I'd say she's just hiding her face from the camera (trying not to have her soul sucked away!).. and the people filming said something to her (probably about hiding her face), which is why she turned to look at them and say something... Back then, with no audio being recorded, the people behind the camera were probably screaming and shouting directions at those on camera...
Exactly what I thought, Simon. Embarrassed by the cameras, but trying to get a look at what was going on anyway.

Jesus what a sad life I'm leading now. This actually intrigued me. I'm going to hang myslf.

Cassandra Syndrome

Time travel is impossible. If it were to become possible, why haven't we seen any time travellers from the future in our history at all?

Ard Eoin

imagine her embarrasement...when...back in her own time...she sticks the film on...and sees the faux pas shes after making!...

none of the other time travellers will forgive her that one...

she'll be kicked out of the club!...

blinding

Time travel is impossible. If it were to become possible, why haven't we seen any time travellers from the future in our history at all?
Maybe the time travellers set some moral code that they could not go back to any time that FFail existed for fear of contamination. This one in the picture got some thing wrong and ended up in 1928 purely by accident and is obviously taking a few chances in contacting homebase before the FFailers can contaminate her/him.

TommyO'Brien

Judging by her attire she must have come from the past rather than the future. Possibly the 1890s.
Older people often dress in the style they were used to in their early adulthood. If the woman in 1928 was in her seventies, she sense of clothes would have developed in the late Victorian period.

I have a picture of my great-grandfather taken in the 1920s shortly before his death, when he was in his seventies. He was wearing the sort of clothes a Victorian farmer would wear.

Fenian Óg

I saw someone mention in another thread on this that it was probably something called a crystal transmitter or something?

Anyway, some type of old time handheld radio that she's probably singing along with.

New Threads

Top Bottom