The Mystery Train is back on track

statsman

So, after the recent departure of Carl Corcoran from The Blue of the Night, the big news from LyricFM is that John Kelly's Mystery Train is returning to the airwaves this autumn. The show will go out Mon-Thurs from 7 to 9 (or 11, depening on who you believe) in the evening, and also at 7 on Sunday. I assume this means the end of Blue and also a change for the Purple Vespertine show that currently airs Fri-Sun form 10 - 1 AM presented by Ellen Cranitch. Also, there's no indication as to what will happen to Kelly's JK Ensemble afternoon show.

Still, it's great to have the Train back; it should never have been axed in the first instance.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2017/0811/896752-the-mystery-train-returns-john-kelly/

Last edited:

Golden Phoenix

Sounds like competition for John Creedon's 8 to 10 pm slot on Radio 1.

Interesting to hear that Ivan Yates will soon be back on weekday radio doing the Mon-Fri Drivetime slot on Newstalk. Ivan always comes out smiling!

im axeled

Sounds like competition for John Creedon's 8 to 10 pm slot on Radio 1.

Interesting to hear that Ivan Yates will soon be back on weekday radio doing the Mon-Fri Drivetime slot on Newstalk. Ivan always comes out smiling!
easy for him to smile, became bankrupt, while drinking whisky, at the time noonan wanted folks to dump their sky boxes to suppoert the bank he gave a hit to, kept his td pension, then had a local motorway upgrade by purchasing a lump of the family farm

Wagmore

So, after the recent departure of Carl Corcoran from The Blue of the Night, the big news from LyricFM is that John Kelly's Mystery Train is returning to the airwaves this autumn. The show will go out Mon-Thurs from 7 to 11 in the evening, and also at 7 on Sunday. I assume this means the end of Blue and also a change for the Purple Vespertine show that currently airs Fri-Sun form 10 - 1 AM presented by Ellen Cranitch. Also, there's no indication as to what will happen to Kelly's JK Ensemble afternoon show.

Still, it's great to have the Train back; it should never have been axed in the first instance.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2017/0811/896752-the-mystery-train-returns-john-kelly/
I find Kelly incredibly smug, obsequious when interviewing those he rates and highly earritating

borntorum

So, after the recent departure of Carl Corcoran from The Blue of the Night, the big news from LyricFM is that John Kelly's Mystery Train is returning to the airwaves this autumn. The show will go out Mon-Thurs from 7 to 11 in the evening, and also at 7 on Sunday. I assume this means the end of Blue and also a change for the Purple Vespertine show that currently airs Fri-Sun form 10 - 1 AM presented by Ellen Cranitch. Also, there's no indication as to what will happen to Kelly's JK Ensemble afternoon show.

In that link it says it will be on 7-9, so maybe Blue of the Night will not be axed.

It would be nice if they got Donal Dineen on after midnight but that might be a bit too much for what is still a classical station

stopdoingstuff

[video=youtube;Uto9t8k-Flg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uto9t8k-Flg[/video]

statsman

In that link it says it will be on 7-9, so maybe Blue of the Night will not be axed.

It would be nice if they got Donal Dineen on after midnight but that might be a bit too much for what is still a classical station
Don't mind me, I can't read.

statsman

[video=youtube;Q_eE0NPArEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_eE0NPArEY[/video]

farnaby

This displaces the Lyric Concert then? Strange substitution, not one the purists will like.

The Lyric website needs an update - never the easiest to navigate, with no news of the upcoming changes to the schedule.

statsman

This displaces the Lyric Concert then? Strange substitution, not one the purists will like.

The Lyric website needs an update - never the easiest to navigate, with no news of the upcoming changes to the schedule.
They tend to introduce whole-scale changes in September. Last time thy did this they eliminated Jazz Alley, Gloria, Reels to Ragas and three nights of Blue. The Lyric Concert slot will be a big miss; I wonder if they plan to move that to the 2PM slot?

statsman

Mind you, they could move the concerts to 9 PM.

Mitsui2

So, after the recent departure of Carl Corcoran from The Blue of the Night, the big news from LyricFM is that John Kelly's Mystery Train is returning to the airwaves this autumn. The show will go out Mon-Thurs from 7 to 9 (or 11, depening on who you believe) in the evening, and also at 7 on Sunday. I assume this means the end of Blue and also a change for the Purple Vespertine show that currently airs Fri-Sun form 10 - 1 AM presented by Ellen Cranitch. Also, there's no indication as to what will happen to Kelly's JK Ensemble afternoon show.

Amen to the last sentiment. Mystery Train was sui generis

One of my abiding radio memories will always be the programme Kelly did in response to Johnny Cash's death.

DaveM

One of my abiding radio memories will always be the programme Kelly did in response to Johnny Cash's death.
Haven't listened to him since the 1990's when he was on Today FM if memory serves (he moved to RTE and was replaced by Tom Dunne?). He did a very entertaining show one evening where it was the battle of the record collections between him and his guest for the evening Elvis Costello.

As I get older my inner curmudgeon has decided I won't like any music that I haven't heard before and now I survive on a diet of podcasts. Anyone who doesn't like that can go stand with the kids playing in the street outside my house so I can shout angrily at you all at the same time.

statsman

Yes, that was a particularly splendid episode.

New Threads

Most Replies