The National Lottery is 30

General Urko

The national lottery celebrated its 30th birthday yesterday, which in modern Ireland seems to be the adult age.petunia
I was wondering what do my fellow P.iesters think of it?

https://www.lottery.ie/winning-ways/news/national-lottery-30th-birthday

I think in my own case, I usually do it when it's The Eiromillions over €100 Million or if i'm in a syndicate, it's only a bit of craic.
To others it's a tax on idiocy and could also provide a let out from proper state funding of sports and other good causes.
Interestingly, one good friend of mine, who is most likely a millionaire now, entirely due to his abilities and talents, never ever did it. And other friends of mine, who are virginally tight with money,never did it, unless they might have got a lotto ticket as a present.
We had a national one here before The UK and in it's early days, I remember a few young lads, down from Ulster for a rugby international, doing it in a shop and they were quite hesitant in asking if it was possible, akin to young lads in my day buying rubbers and skin mags!petunia
Also if you had a massive win, what would you do with it, well it's a chance to dream. I would but my local LOI football club, play loads of golf, travel and ride!petunia

General Urko

Oh and didnt a Blueshirt TD day resign the whip back in the day, when it was introduced by that disaterous coaltion back in the day?

benroe

I don't play, never have, i'm with Voltaire when he said it was a tax on stupidity.

SeanieFitz

I don't play, never have, i'm with Voltaire when he said it was a tax on stupidity.
I do buy a ticket (quick pick) a few times a year and I have never won anything more that a few euro

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a tax on stupidity but it shocks me to see she amount of money some people spend on it on a weekly basis. It could be argued that it is a tax on the poor

Last edited:

LookWhoItIs

The national lottery celebrated its 30th birthday yesterday, which in modern Ireland seems to be the adult age.petunia
I was wondering what do my fellow P.iesters think of it?

https://www.lottery.ie/winning-ways/news/national-lottery-30th-birthday

I think in my own case, I usually do it when it's The Eiromillions over €100 Million or if i'm in a syndicate, it's only a bit of craic.
To others it's a tax on idiocy and could also provide a let out from proper state funding of sports and other good causes.
Interestingly, one good friend of mine, who is most likely a millionaire now, entirely due to his abilities and talents, never ever did it. And other friends of mine, who are virginally tight with money,never did it, unless they might have got a lotto ticket as a present.
We had a national one here before The UK and in it's early days, I remember a few young lads, down from Ulster for a rugby international, doing it in a shop and they were quite hesitant in asking if it was possible, akin to young lads in my day buying rubbers and skin mags!petunia
Also if you had a massive win, what would you do with it, well it's a chance to dream. I would but my local LOI football club, play loads of golf, travel and ride!petunia
We have a syndicate thing in the office, at $5 a month or so - I see it as an insurance cost, would hate to be the only f@cker at my desk of a Monday morning if they won.

But for sure its a tax on the poor - In the US a huge deal is made of the fact that lottery money goes to fund 3rd level education - the irony been that the biggest sale numbers by far are in poor hoods where most will never get past high school, so in practice you have poorer families subsidizing the college cost of wealthier kids.

O'Quisling

It should never have been privatised; another legacy of the Charvet Shirts.

"Never waste a good crisis! " Faced with the fallout of the Credit Crunch combined with idiosyncratic Irish economic woes the Soldiers of Nepotism responded with austerity policies and even more Neo Liberalism.

What always brings a smile to my face is the footage of Irish nurses activating the machine on the Sweepstakes - the predecessor to the Irish National Lottery. What are they more honest?

General Urko

Taking about a lad always missing opportunities, I once dreamed of lotto numbers and didn't bother writing them down when I woke up, the 3 I remembered came up that night and I hadn't bothered to do it!
A bit like Man Utd letting a young Paul Pogba go and paying outrageous money to get him back and really in that case only proving their original decision was corect!petunia

Congalltee

It was good for:
- politicians shlush fund for pet projects
- a last minute gift which can be stuffed into a card
- the media covering Ireland's newest millkionaire
- employees of lotto and successor
- the big winners.

Crap for all others. Varadkar should have had nothing to do with its anniversary.

General Urko

It was good for:
- politicians shlush fund for pet projects
- a last minute gift which can be stuffed into a card
- the media covering Ireland's newest millkionaire
- employees of lotto and successor
- the big winners.

Crap for all others. Varadkar should have had nothing to do with its anniversary.
Well it provides a fleeting chance to dream as well.petunia

Err, one of my closest friend loves small punts on horsies and gets great and enormous enjoyment even when he loses.

I hate this "tax on idiots" thing, but it can be turned on its head. If someone wants to pay a couple of Euro they can enjoy that dream if the draw random numbers and don't invest until for the six months while their dream night be alive. They might have dream for a full year for five euro. Imagine that!

Those who advocate against betting never take into consideration the pleasure that is often derived from it when it is controlled.

General Urko

If I won the Euromillions, I wouldn't live here, but I would fund my hoped for referendum, which is total reform of the pension system, so those that are benefitting all the way to bank from it now, will be pulled back and every citizen can have a decent pension ala New Zealand!
This would go part of the way towards having a real society!

General Urko

Err, one of my closest friend loves small punts on horsies and gets great and enormous enjoyment even when he loses.

I hate this "tax on idiots" thing, but it can be turned on its head. If someone wants to pay a couple of Euro they can enjoy that dream if the draw random numbers and don't invest until for the six months while their dream night be alive. They might have dream for a full year for five euro. Imagine that!

Those who advocate against betting never take into consideration the pleasure that is often derived from it when it is controlled.
I heard a well known thundering gobshyte who essentially became a multimillionaire from people with gambling addiction problems say a compulsive gambler wants to lose!

razorblade

Ive never played it to be honest, must give it a go sometime, you never know i might strike lucky.

LookWhoItIs

The problem with most of those who spend more than they should on tickets is not that they are having a bit of crack or a dream as the promoters like to sell it as - but they genuinely believe they have a real chance of winning

fergal1790

I did the lotto draw a few times when it started up(I had also bought a few lottery tickets when they came out). When the government decided that the lottery was going to fund public health and other things which should be funded by the government through taxation but instead they are funded by many of the poorest in society following a distant dream, then I decided never to buy into the lotto scam ever again!

benroe

I play poker, I like to have some control over the outcome of my gambling, the only thing i know about horses is its dangerous to stand behind one.

Do you think its healthy for tens of thousands of people to spend hours fantasizing about being handed an obscene amount of money only to be constantly disappointed, do you think many people lie on their death beds lamenting that they had not bought enough lotto tickets or spent enough time fantasizing about buying luxuries?

LookWhoItIs

I did the lotto draw a few times when it started up(I had also bought a few lottery tickets when they came out). When the government decided that the lottery was going to fund public health and other things which should be funded by the government through taxation but instead they are funded by many of the poorest in society following a distant dream, then I decided never to buy into the lotto scam ever again!
Its no accident that goverments choose cuddly causes for their lottery proceeds such as education and healthcare

Sister Mercedes

The lottery was the beginning of people thinking they didn't need to work to make a lot of money. The property market was just the next step in that thinking. Today it's personal injury compensation and whiplash claims.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

The problem with most of those who spend more than they should on tickets is not that they are having a bit of crack or a dream as the promoters like to sell it as - but they genuinely believe they have a real chance of winning
And if they are over 18 years of age then that's an 'adult' decision they make.

I only ever play when its over 10 on the national and 100 on the euro version.

Might as well waste money on no chance of winning the big bucks as wasting it on smaller sums?

€5 every month or two gives me a few minutes of pleasant daydreaming I might someday be in a position to bribe a FG minister and make my 'fortune' on a dodgy phone deal?

Plebian

They took a moderately positive once in the week gambling experience that benefited the state and some good causes and they turned that into a privatised multi-draw, mega-hard to win, mega expensive experience.

Better to do your local development lottery and keep the cash where you can see it improving your environment.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies