• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Nauru Files

Half Nelson

"The largest cache of documents to be leaked from within Australia’s asylum seeker detention regime details assaults, sexual assaults and self-harm "

Australia detains asylum seekers on the remote Pacific island of Nauru. The Guardian has come by leaked documents, which record a litany of abuse, assault and maltreatment of these asylum seekers, many of them children.

The lives of asylum seekers in detention detailed in a unique database - Guardian

More than half of the 2,116 reports – a total of 1,086 incidents, or 51.3% – involve children, although children made up only about 18% of those in detention..
2,000 leaked reports reveal scale of abuse of children in Australian offshore detention

petaljam

I wa just about to start a thread on this, but I see somebody got there first.

I've seen the Australian approach mentioned a couple of times on here as being something European countries could emulate. I imagine this will put an end to that, or I'd hope so anyway.

Truly horrifying. I don't even know what to say about some of the incidents described here.
And of course it should probably also be linked with the treatment of Aboriginal minors in child detention centres on the mainland of Australia too http://www.unicef.org.au/blog/july-2016/five-ways-to-stop-abuse-children-detention

McTell

Twitter
No
All sorts of problems now on the old dumping ground - sorry, asylum facilities - of Norfolk island:

Nocookies | The Australian

Too far to swim, cobbers.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
"The largest cache of documents to be leaked from within Australia’s asylum seeker detention regime details assaults, sexual assaults and self-harm "
Is there something implicit in this report that fingers Australia's policy as being at fault here? Something along the lines of 'this wouldn't be happening if they were let come to Australia' or are you just sharing news? Refugees suffer everywhere. The difference with the activists in the Guardian is that they're trying to use this suffering as a tool to achieve political objectives (effectively hand control of immigration policy to people smugglers) they seek to advance.

The same problems are reported in refugee camps in Germany and elsewhere. Overall, Australian policy has drastically reduced the human trafficking business which means less ppl in camps, less drowning at sea, and less abuse and avoidable human suffering in camps like this one in PNG.

petaljam

Is there something implicit in this report that fingers Australia's policy as being at fault here? Something along the lines of 'this wouldn't be happening if they were let come to Australia' or are you just sharing news? Refugees suffer everywhere. The difference with the activists in the Guardian is that they're trying to use this suffering as a tool to achieve political objectives (effectively hand control of immigration policy to people smugglers) they seek to advance.

The same problems are reported in refugee camps in Germany and elsewhere. Overall, Australian policy has drastically reduced the human trafficking business which means less ppl in camps, less drowning at sea, and less abuse and avoidable human suffering in camps like this one in PNG.
Well, maybe I've been reading the Guardian too much, but it's my understanding that Australia's policy is particularly brutal, with a much higher rate of abuses, due in no little part to the isolation of Nauru. I can't go looking just now, but since that assertion has been made, with links given, is there any evidence that it's not worse than Germany or anywhere else?

(I believe Ireland may well have a particular problem too, BTW, with the way direct provision operates - but that could be an effect of my using the Irish media and even spending time on here rather than on German sites! That isn't the case for Australia, not afaiac anyway.)

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Well, maybe I've been reading the Guardian too much, but it's my understanding that Australia's policy is particularly brutal, with a much higher rate of abuses, due in no little part to the isolation of Nauru. I can't go looking just now, but since that assertion has been made, with links given, is there any evidence that it's not worse than Germany or anywhere else?

(I believe Ireland may well have a particular problem too, BTW, with the way direct provision operates - but that could be an effect of my using the Irish media and even spending time on here rather than on German sites! That isn't the case for Australia, not afaiac anyway.)
Australia's policy is tough and fair. It's this: "We can see that asylum has been commandeered by people smugglers and has become for most (not all) a route to economic migration by the back door. We see the problems this is creating in Europe. We don't want that here. So, here's what we're going to do. We're going to increase hugely our humanitarian intake (those who apply through the UNHCR for asylum from abroad) and come down heavy on the racket of "the dog ate my passport" shenanigans Europeans are daily browbeaten into accepting is their moral duty. As a result, Australia has one of the lowest 'undocumented' arrivals in the world and the highest refugee resettlement in the world. I think this is great and Europe should follow suit. Of course, the harridans who support open borders will shriek but... let them shriek. They want open borders but are too dishonest to admit it. So they try the moral blackmail route of accepting unlimited numbers being shipped in by people smugglers who are making billions out of it. A lot of it winding up in the hands of religious fascists.

I don't have those figures PJ (about relative levels of abuse). There isn't a census committee doing the rounds measuring this. If you read the tripe the open borders movement get in the Irish dailies all the time you'll get a sense for what's motivating the Guardian in this case.

Krusty Cork

The narrative with a lot of refugees/asylum seekers is that they are fleeing war, persecution etc and all they want is a safe environment

That is not true. Refugees/asylum seekers want to go to very specific places

One asylum seeker says “Anywhere but Nauru,” but won't go home

Nocookies | The Australian

In that article conditions are described as "the centres are stark, ­secure and spartan. There’s an air-conditioned mess and recreational areas, and three meals a day are laid on."

Sounds bit like direct provision

Even though education is provided “They are not teaching us enough,” “They teach us nothing.”

“We pay our money for Australia to come — not to here.

Far from perceptions in Australia, it seems that to the extent there is racism on Nauru, it is seen most often not in attitudes towards refugees but in the latter’s attitudes towards islanders.

As we talk to a group of Somalian and Iranian refugees, a Nauruan woman approaches in high dudgeon. “Why are you talking to them?” she demands. “They are just rubbishing Nauru, we know they just talk ************************.”

Yet tough as life is for refugees and asylum-seekers on Nauru — for a complex variety of reasons — they have access to better healthcare and other services than many remote and rural settlements in Australia. And they do fare better in many respects than their Nauruan hosts.

Refugees tell us some Iranian and Iraqi children now speak a little Nauruan.

Some parents share this with pride; others cringe at the thought. It shows they’ve been here too long.

Would it be like that for learning English and using English in Australia?

At a mother and babies session by the beach, Nauruan women sneer at refugee claims of rape. They call them lies. The police commissioner refers to an investigation into one rape claim made by a Somalian refugee and aired uncritically in September by the ABC. “The investigation into that has come to a conclusion,” Commissioner Corey Caleb says. “That was just a set-up, in reality nothing happened.”

Nauru’s President Baron Waqa is perturbed, too, saying: “Sometimes these claims are not true, and they’ve been proven not true by the police.” Adeang describes them as “fabricated” and is focused on the consequences. “It damages the relations between our two communities, the refugees and asylum-seekers and Nauruans,” he laments.

Local consider the claims false. Are they Guardian reporting claims as facts?

Half Nelson

The report does appear to have stirred things up -
The UN high commissioner for refugees said it was “gravely concerned” by the allegations raised and said all refugees and asylum seekers should be moved off Nauru “to humane conditions”
The extensive misery and abuse inflicted on refugee and asylum seeker children and their families on Nauru has again been laid bare through thousands of leaked incident reports, underscoring the need for the Turnbull Government to find an immediate resettlement solution, global aid agency Save the Children says
"Australia needs to stop this systematic and institutionalised abuse of children,”
Cavalcade of leaked incident reports from Nauru again underscores urgent need to resettle refugee and asylum seeker children from the island - Save the Children Australia
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/10/nauru-files-widespread-condemnation-of-australian-government-by-un-and-others

ShoutingIsLeadership

The much lauded Aussie immigration system.

Animals wouldn't be treated this way.

Krusty Cork

I wonder do animals get Free accomodation, 3 meals a day, free education and English lessons?

There are plenty of people in Ireland who do not have a guaranteed 3 meals a day due to poverty and homelessness etc

The Aussie system isn't perfect but in a lot of cases the refugees are better treated than the island natives

Clanrickard

tsarbomb

This is certainly sad and the Australian authorities should act in order to do away with these abuses. What I would be cautious about though is the open borders brigade using this example to claim that there is no alternative to simply opening up the borders of a country and letting any Tom Dick or Harry in. Remember that the Australian system ensures that there are very few undocumented migrants (who typically tend to be treated horribly for the rest of their lives).

There seems to be problems with the migrant centre which should be dealt with, but the system itself is sound.

Felixness

Are we supposed to be shocked by sob ''stories''? These are people who paid to get to Australia and who aren't happy about being detained on an island. They will say anything if it gets them asylum in Australia. The Australians are right, keep them out of Australia.

Half Nelson

Are we supposed to be shocked by sob ''stories''? These are people who paid to get to Australia and who aren't happy about being detained on an island. They will say anything if it gets them asylum in Australia. The Australians are right, keep them out of Australia.
Apparently so. A few young people have even said "watch as I set myself on fire".

Spanner Island

Australia detains asylum seekers on the remote Pacific island of Nauru. The Guardian has come by leaked documents, which record a litany of abuse, assault and maltreatment of these asylum seekers, many of them children.

The lives of asylum seekers in detention detailed in a unique database - Guardian

2,000 leaked reports reveal scale of abuse of children in Australian offshore detention
Maybe this is why some Brexiteers wish to emulate the Aussie model?

I'm sure there's a few perverts among them... although what island would they use to keep it all hush hush?

Probably somewhere remote off Scotland...

truthandjustice

Hopefully Australia will continue to show a good example on how to deal with lying "refugees ". Chancers the lot of them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies