• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The never ending hypocrisy of SF

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

The reports speak for themselves. Before posters reply with examples of DUP hypocrisy they should remember that the DUP are not knocking on doors in the ROI looking for a vote. If they were they would get the same response as given to SF representatives

Cdebru

The reports speak for themselves. Before posters reply with examples of DUP hypocrisy they should remember that the DUP are not knocking on doors in the ROI looking for a vote. If they were they would get the same response as given to SF representatives

How is it hypocrisy ? Did Doherty put up a banner ?

I believe the Shinners have called for a truth commission, this has been blocked by the DUP because they want to chase after people Downey, but aren't too happy when the same standard is applied to Paratroopers in Derry.
A truth commission sorts all of these out, come and tell the truth, what you did, when, for whom, or don't and face prosecution if the authorities catch you.

Strawberry

iiiiiiiiiiiii

I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of people in the ROI would fully agree with SF on removing that disgusting banner, regardless of what else they may think of them.

Northsideman

iiiiiiiiiiiii

I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of people in the ROI would fully agree with SF on removing that disgusting banner, regardless of what else they may think of them.
But that's not the question posed by the OP!

Strawberry

But that's not the question posed by the OP!
There was no question posed in the OP. There was a statement that SF are being hypocrites and will be looking for votes in the ROI.

To which I would point out that Pearse Doherty and friends will not lose any votes in Donegal by calling for that disgusting poster to be removed, even if people disagree with them on other issues.

Northsideman

There was no question posed in the OP. There was a statement that SF are being hypocrites and will be looking for votes in the ROI.

To which I would point out that Pearse Doherty and friends will not lose any votes in Donegal by calling for that disgusting poster to be removed, even if people disagree with them on other issues.
Yes they most likely will not lose votes but the is total and utter hypocrisy here, do you not agree?

Strawberry

Yes they most likely will not lose votes but the is total and utter hypocrisy here, do you not agree?
Maybe. I don't really care though, find me a political party that doesn't engage in hypocrisy before you expect me to switch my vote from SF.

Northsideman

Maybe. I don't really care though, find me a political party that doesn't engage in hypocrisy before you expect me to switch my vote from SF.
No maybe about it.

redneck

I would say that some of FFg have a sister party in the North- the DUP. To a lot of Southern Unionists, the DUP are their brethern. Their kith and kin in other words. An attack on the loyal Orangemen of N.I is an attack on their values. The leader of Fine Gael has traditionally been the leader of Southern Irish unionism eg John Bruton. More and more it seems like Michael Martin is fulfilling this role now.
So to get back to your point- are the DUP looking for votes down south, well they have people in FFg and Labour willing to do their bidding.

mangaire2

that British soldier & others should have been tried & received sentences decades ago for the murder of Irish people in Ireland.

you should change the thread title to -

The never ending hypocrisy of ol antidistinctyminty.

the fact that " the DUP are not knocking on doors in the ROI looking for a vote" has got nothing to do with it.

former wesleyan

I would say that some of FFg have a sister party in the North- the DUP.
To a lot of Southern Unionists, the DUP are their brethern
. Their kith and kin in other words. An attack on the loyal Orangemen of N.I is an attack on their values. The leader of Fine Gael has traditionally been the leader of Southern Irish unionism eg John Bruton. More and more it seems like Michael Martin is fulfilling this role now.
So to get back to your point- are the DUP looking for votes down south, well they have people in FFg and Labour willing to do their bidding.
Bullshyte. Of the steaming sort.

Antóin Mac Comháin

The reports speak for themselves. Before posters reply with examples of DUP hypocrisy they should remember that the DUP are not knocking on doors in the ROI looking for a vote. If they were they would get the same response as given to SF representatives.
The first article is dated the 18th of April, 2019, which is about an elected SF representative calling for the removal of a banner saying 'Portadown Stands With Soldier F', a British soldier facing prosecution for the attack carried out on Bloody Sunday, 1972, which was a march organized by the Civil Right Movement. In a representative democracy, politicians are answerable to the people, so if his constituents or the relatives of the people killed, asked him to call for the removal of the banner, I can't see how he is being hypocritical, for what Pearse Doherty said in the 2nd article, dated the 6th of November, 2018, about a completely unrelated issue..

Pearse Doherty: “That assertion was tested in the courts and he was subsequently released. That judgement should be respected by the British authorities. The issuing of an extradition warrant by the British authorities is wrong and follows a campaign to introduce an amnesty for British soldiers at a time when the spotlight is on them for their actions. John Downey has been a supporter of the peace process over many years. Yesterday he was at home with his family and he could have been contacted at any time.”

November 2013:

The details have emerged a day after Northern Ireland's attorney general, John Larkin, suggested ending any prosecutions over Troubles-related killings that took place before the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

A third former MRF soldier said: "If you had a player who was a well-known shooter who carried out quite a lot of assassinations... then he had to be taken out.

In 1972 there were more than 10,600 shootings in Northern Ireland. It is not possible to say how many the unit was involved in.

They're trying to ''float'' the idea that the British Army undercover units were targeting Republicans, and not Nationalists..
Why would the British want a Truth and Reconciliation process now, and not in 1998?
''The Worst Threat Is That I'm Going To Be Killed.. That I'm Going To Die Too'' - Rosemary Nelson, speaking to Ireland-On-Sunday on October 19th, 1997, about the threats made against her life by the RUC. The Human Rights Lawyer and mother of three children was assassinated on the 15th March 1999.

How is it hypocrisy ? Did Doherty put up a banner ?

I believe the Shinners have called for a truth commission, this has been blocked by the DUP because they want to chase after people Downey, but aren't too happy when the same standard is applied to Paratroopers in Derry.

A truth commission sorts all of these out, come and tell the truth, what you did, when, for whom, or don't and face prosecution if the authorities catch you.
Could've. Would've. Should've. An Amnesty and a T&R process was one of the three primary objectives of the Provisional Republican Movement, but those objectives were abandoned in favor of what the GFA delivered. I don't think it's hypocritical of Sinn Féin to be looking after one of their own, but the British began to float the idea of An Amnesty in November 2013, not November, 2018..

Last edited:

Antóin Mac Comháin

Every time a politician moves their lips, they are telling a lie, and SF are a political party, but I can't see how they are hypocrites for looking after one of their own. They all do it, but in this instance it's the relatives of non-combatants who are paying the price, and that's just wrong. Maybe the relatives of civilians who were murdered should get people who are politically neutral without any history of involvement with any wing of the Republican Movement to speak for them?

Sinn Fein ,as a political party are an anomaly. Sinn Fein is the Gaelic for 'Ourselves Alone. Yet they support mass immigration ,open borders and the New Plantation of Ireland,
They support a United Ireland Republic, which means a Nation Governed by the People and for the People. Yet they support the EU and control by unelected bureaucrats, who control our currency, Laws and open border policy.
They say they are Irish Patriots and yet supported the 8th Amendment and the killing of unborn babies and future Irish citizens.
Their silence on the relinquishing of Irish neutrality by a European Integrated Defence Force under PESCO has been deafening. This will mean Foreign troops and bases in Ireland eventually and involvement in Foreign wars.
They were also silent on the UN Migrant Pact which means migration as a Human Right. Ireland is then open doors to the 3rd World flow of migrants.
Who do Sinn Fein represent.? Certainly no discerning ,critical thinking Irishman.

Antóin Mac Comháin

Sinn Fein ,as a political party are an anomaly.
SF supported the preservation of the language and succeeded in that objective in the south. If they succeed in getting a majority with the Alliance and the SDLP in the north and a unitary state evolves from that they will no longer have a purpose, and they will become as irrelevant as Physical Force Republicanism became 25 years ago. It took 32 years for 'it' to happen in the south, and that process in almost complete in the 6 Counties. I can't imagine them ever being anything other than a minor party in an all-Ireland Parliament, and most smart Republicans always understood that it would be that way..

Their silence on the relinquishing of Irish neutrality by a European Integrated Defence Force under PESCO has been deafening. This will mean Foreign troops and bases in Ireland eventually and involvement in Foreign wars.
Well no, they were on the box giving it socks about neutrality last night, but at the end of the day, you can't control what individuals decide for themselves, and Independence in and of itself can never guarantee neutrality, so credit where credit is due, but technological advances means conflict will never produce the type of figures which participated in the world wars, which would gel people as it did in 1918, and who really cares about water charges that won't be paid anyhow?

Life is too short to be worrying about the immigrants that don't want to come to freezing cold Ireland..

'Life is too short to be worrying about the immigrants that don't want to come to freezing cold Ireland.'

This is a good definition of navel gazing, self absorption, selfishness and detachment from reality. A symptom of denial and delusion when the truth is too ugly.
Well, I guess you will not be concerned with the future of your children and grandchildren, who will have to live in the hell-hole that mass immigration, multiculturism and diversity produces.
As for war , the next one will be Nuclear, especially since the USA withdrawal from the ABM and INF Treaties , that no one mentions.

Last edited:

Antóin Mac Comháin

'Life is too short to be worrying about the immigrants that don't want to come to freezing cold Ireland.'

This is a good definition of navel gazing, self absorption, selfishness and detachment from reality. A symptom of denial and delusion when the truth is too ugly.
Nah, you're the one that has it all figured the wrong way..

As for war , the next one will be Nuclear, especially since the USA withdrawal from the ABM and INF Treaties , that no one mentions..
Until then, Capitalism will contend itself with barrel bombs and cluster bombs, because there's no profit in Nukes..

Sure there is big bucks in Nukes.The USA Military Industrial Complex has a budget exceeding a trillion dollars for its Weapons manufacturers and supporting its Empires over 800 bases worldwide. Lots of money to be made in death and destruction.

That is why they gotta keep the machine churning and have an enemy de jour whether, The Phoney war on terror, Russia, Iran, or Venezuela.

Last edited:

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

Meanwhile, back on the thread, the point I am making is that there is no concern for the victims of IRA violence to the point that SF demand that charges be dropped for one of their own. The relatives of those alleged to have been killed by Downey have the same sense of loss as the alleged victims of Soldier F. Pure hypocrisy. I get the point about Doherty having nothing to worry about in Donegal but his actions have been seen by voters throughout the ROI by people who may have thought it wrong to campaign in this manner.

His latest statement that the killers of Lyra McKee BESMIRCH THE NAME OF THE IRA shows how he sees the IRA as some sort of noble organisation rather than the organisation which killed more than a THOUSAND PEOPLE.

Popular Threads

Most Replies