• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The new Civil Servant Career break scheme

gazdub

What do people think of the new Civil Service career break scheme that was announced yesterday? I think it is a good idea and will cut the pay bill down a good bit if enough people take up the option. I got an email about it this morning and I am considering taken up the option and maybe go back to college.

Basically the offer is a 3 year career break where you will be paid up to a max of 12,600 (depending on your salary) a year for the 3 years. The money is paid quarterly in arrears. I think that Permanent TSB announced something similar a few months back. Dont know how successful it was though.

wexfordman

Are yo allowed take up alternative employment during this period ?
Wold your position be filled by a contractor or tem position (or is this prevented by the freeze ?)

gazdub

No you cant take up other employment in Ireland and your position would not be filled due to the recruitment freeze.

wexfordman

Do you have a link to any official details or reference to the scheme ?

Conor

No you cant take up other employment in Ireland.
I'm a bit surprised by that. Can you copy and paste the email you got? It must have more detail than was published yesterday.

wexfordman

I'm a bit surprised by that. Can you copy and paste the email you got? It must have more detail than was published yesterday.
i thought existing career break schemes in the ps also prevented work in private sector also ? I could be wrong, just my impression

alonso

Yeh but you're paid nothin for existing career breaks and are therefore under no obligation to the employer. This is different. The career break idea is possibly the only good one to come out of yesterday - although it only applies to permenent employees obviously and sure tonnes of the CS and PS are temporary. It alos seems to only apply to the Civil service not the entire public sector.

The early retirement scheme may also be worthy esecially if the stinking carcass that is the top echelons and mnagement of the public sector is weeded out (with many exceptions i hasten to add) - thems what got us into this mess

Conor

It alos seems to only apply to the Civil service not the entire public sector.
"Consideration is being given to the early extension of these measures (or their equivalent) to other appropriate areas of the public service", it says.

bobbysands81

Do you have a link to any official details or reference to the scheme ?
This is the content of the e-mail...

Annex E: Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break Scheme and Shorter Working Year Scheme
The Government has decided to offer civil servants two new work-life balance schemes, as detailed below.

Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break scheme

• As a once off measure, under a Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break scheme, civil servants who take a career break for 3 years will be paid an incentive payment of 33% of gross pay to a maximum of €12,500 per year (for a person working full time, reduced pro rata for any person on reduced working hours).

• The payment will be payable quarterly in arrears for 3 years.

• The career break will have to start by 1 September 2009, with limited exceptions (e.g. for those on maternity leave or where for business needs a later starting date is required).

• A career break may be allowed for family reasons, other domestic purposes (e.g. care of a relative), travel abroad, self-employment and educational purposes.

Shorter Working Year scheme
• In addition, the existing scheme permitting civil servants to take unpaid leave to balance their working arrangements with outside commitments, including the holidays of their children, (‘Term Time’) is being revised and will now be called the Shorter Working Year Scheme.

• Under the terms of the scheme, unpaid special leave will available for periods of 2 to 13 consecutive weeks to any civil servant.

• If requested, administrative arrangements can be made to have the reduced salary spread over 52 weeks.
Departments will be taking action to minimise the effect of these schemes on service delivery as far as practicable.
Consideration is being given to the early extension of these measures (or their equivalent) to other appropriate areas of the public service.

bobbysands81

i thought existing career break schemes in the ps also prevented work in private sector also ? I could be wrong, just my impression
You're correct they do but you can set up your own business during a career break and afaik work for a family business.

gazdub

I dont have the official copy as I am on a weeks leave but the email I got said the following

Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break scheme

As a once off measure, under a Special Civil Service Incentive Career Break scheme, civil servants who take a career break for 3 years will be paid an incentive payment of 33% of gross pay to a maximum of €12,500 per year (for a person working full time, reduced pro rata for any person on reduced working hours).
The payment will be payable quarterly in arrears for 3 years.
The career break will have to start by 1 September 2009, with limited exceptions (e.g. for those on maternity leave or where for business needs a later starting date is required).

Shorter Working Year scheme

In addition, the existing scheme permitting civil servants to take unpaid leave to balance their working arrangements with outside commitments, including the holidays of their children, (‘Term Time’) is being revised and will now be called the Shorter Working Year Scheme.
Under the terms of the scheme, unpaid special leave will available for periods of 2 to 13 consecutive weeks to any civil servant.

wexfordman

yes, what is the status of pension and lenght of service ?

gazdub

If it is like the normal career break it will mean that you have broken your service so will have to work back the time you were off in order to get a full pension.

Lloyd-Apjohn

Why should they be paid for a career break? Why can't they take the break, not get paid, or if they must be paid get a single lump sum of about €10k and then have the option to extend the career break up to 3 years but with just the one payment, get no pension benefit and be glad that they have a job to come back to.

I thought that was the whole point of a career break - that you paid your own way during it? Just shows the mentality hasn't changed a jot. The comfy public sector attitude has to be blown wide open.

Conor

Why should they be paid for a career break? Why can't they take the break, not get paid, or if they must be paid get a single lump sum of about €10k and then have the option to extend the career break up to 3 years but with just the one payment, get no pension benefit and be glad that they have a job to come back to.

I thought that was the whole point of a career break - that you paid your own way during it? Just shows the mentality hasn't changed a jot. The comfy public sector attitude has to be blown wide open.
If they take this offer, the government saves money. If they don't take this offer, the government doesn't save money. The worse the offer is, the fewer the people who'll take it, and hence, the less money saved.

Proposition Joe

If they take this offer, the government saves money. If they don't take this offer, the government doesn't save money. The worse the offer is, the fewer the people who'll take it, and hence, the less money saved.
The trick of course is to ensure that the offer is just generous enough so that enough public servants take it.

The career break terms sound about right, though the pro-rata reduction in the 12.5k ceiling for those on job-share is a bit of a sting in the tail.

The early retirement scheme on the other hand sounds over-generous, equating to a severance payment of circa 10 weeks pay per year of service (spread over the 15 years from age 50 to 65).

wexfordman

The trick of course is to ensure that the offer is just generous enough so that enough public servants take it.

The career break terms sound about right, though the pro-rata reduction in the 12.5k ceiling for those on job-share is a bit of a sting in the tail.

The early retirement scheme on the other hand sounds over-generous, equating to a severance payment of circa 10 weeks pay per year of service (spread over the 15 years from age 50 to 65).

STING IN THE TAIL!!!! Jesus god almighty, we have a governmnt admitting it has an overstaffed ps, falling revenues left right and centre, we cant afford to pay them, so what do we do ?

Do we do the right thing and make people redundant ?
No, we give them a 3 yr holiday and pay them what, 30% of salary....

JESUS WEPT!!!!!!

Last edited:

Conor

How did you calculate that? At a (very) rough guess, I would have thought it far less.