The new immigrant communities - a much-needed boost for Irish Christianity

Wascurito

I notice increasingly at Sunday mass how worshippers from African or Asian backgrounds are assisting with the service in numbers far out of proportion to the sizes of their communities. Both of the readers today were young people with identifiably local accents but were clearly of south Asian ethnicity, as was one of the Eucharistic Ministers.

The girl doing the Prayers of the Faithful was of Filipino extraction. On other Sundays, I've seen young African teenagers taking on similar roles. Meanwhile, anecdotal evidence from the local Church of Ireland and Presbyterian church suggest that they're experiencing a boost in numbers for the same reason. The Baptist Church is a relatively recent arrival but - by all accounts - nearly half of its attendees are of a non-Caucasian ethnicity.

Perhaps, right-wing, anti-immigrant elements might bear this in mind since they very often are the ones bemoaning the decline in religious observance here.

PBP voter

It's so funny to see Niamh and Osin turn their back on the church and then when they are fast approaching middle age run back to it to get married.

Wascurito

It's so funny to see Niamh and Osin turn their back on the church and then when they are fast approaching middle age run back to it to get married.
When it comes to glamour, a registry office can't hold a candle to a church.

ionsniffer

I notice increasingly at Sunday mass how worshippers from African or Asian backgrounds are assisting with the service in numbers far out of proportion to the sizes of their communities. Both of the readers today were young people with identifiably local accents but were clearly of south Asian ethnicity, as was one of the Eucharistic Ministers.

The girl doing the Prayers of the Faithful was of Filipino extraction. On other Sundays, I've seen young African teenagers taking on similar roles. Meanwhile, anecdotal evidence from the local Church of Ireland and Presbyterian church suggest that they're experiencing a boost in numbers for the same reason. The Baptist Church is a relatively recent arrival but - by all accounts - nearly half of its attendees are of a non-Caucasian ethnicity.

Perhaps, right-wing, anti-immigrant elements might bear this in mind since they very often are the ones bemoaning the decline in religious observance here.
I don't think people are "anti-immigrant". they want proper controls over immigration.
last time I was at mass it was pretty much empty. Did notice a big Filipino family there.

Wascurito

I don't think people are "anti-immigrant". they want proper controls over immigration.
last time I was at mass it was pretty much empty. Did notice a big Filipino family there.
Oh, I think some people are.

What would be "proper controls"? Bearing in mind the controls in place already for anyone from outside the EEA?

razorblade

Exactly its quality not quantity keep the numbers reasonable and compatible.

former wesleyan

Clanrickard

I don't go to church but I do see some fit well dressed African women going in of a Sunday morning. More of them I say.

Clanrickard

petaljam

I don't go to church but I do see some fit well dressed African women going in of a Sunday morning. More of them I say.
Expect an increase in witchcraft rituals then : The Vatican, exorcism and witch-hunting in Africa/
The Catholic Church has not really been at the forefront of the witch craze in Africa. Though the church has always maintained the belief in the devil and the practice of exorcism, the Vatican had not come out expressly this way to endorse the process of expelling the devil.

But the position of the Catholic church in Africa on witchcraft and exorcism has been ambivalent. Many churches have appropriated charismatic forms of Christianity in order to halt the loss of members to Pentecostal churches. Some ‘charismatic’ Catholics priests ‘unofficially’ practice exorcism, but it is the Pentecostal churches that are mainly into the business of preaching about the devil, deliverance and witch-hunting campaigns.

But with this new development at the Vatican, things are going to change. Catholic churches in Africa will now be officially joining the witch-finding ministry. We should expect to see many churches across the continent becoming witch-hunting centres. Witch-hunting catholic priests, who have been practicing on the margins, will be mainstreamed. And this will surely be an unfortunate development for the cause of enlightenment in the world

Boy M5

When it comes to glamour, a registry office can't hold a candle to a church.
Or a wine and candle ceremony complete with sub Guest on Ray D'Ar$ey show "poetry"

Last edited:

Boy M5

Why?

Most Africans I know are far more competent, sophisticated, nuanced and straightforward than thearrogant fools I have to put up with.
The only articles I've ever read about exorcism came out of Europe and North America,

Hell Sky had a TV drama about an Essex exorcism.

https://cruxnow.com/all-things-catholic/2016/09/17/famed-exorcist-proved-dont-play-clerical-game/

Last edited:

Brenny

I took a walk down Thomas Street in Limerick yesterday where some bunch of wack-jobs, armed with a loud speaker that was turned up to 11, were gathered around a small Marian statue conducting a public recital of the Rosary. Multiculturalists will be delighted to know that there were some non-Irish involved in this good, old fashioned, vulgar display of religiosity that harks back to the days of the Confraternity.

Boy M5

I took a walk down Thomas Street in Limerick yesterday where some bunch of wack-jobs, armed with a loud speaker that was turned up to 11, were gathered around a small Marian statue conducting a public recital of the Rosary. Multiculturalists will be delighted to know that there were some non-Irish involved in this good, old fashioned, vulgar display of religiosity that harks back to the days of the Confraternity.
What is "wrong" with praying the rosary?
Ever been to a funeral?

petaljam

Why?

The only articles I've ever read about exorcism came out of Europe and North America,

Hell Sky had a TV drama about an Essex exorcism.
Sorry no idea what you're saying.

I was being a little tongue in cheek, given the row about the imam in Dublin who wanted to "import" local practices into Irish society, but it is actually true that African versions of Christianity have often included ideas of witchcraft - and that there have been deaths of children in England through African immigrant performing "exorcisms".

The Vatican didn't officially approve, so they were mainly seen as part of the pentecostalist religions, but that is now changing it seems.
Because the RCC was losing out to the pentecostalists by not providing these "services".

SO it's not completely farfetched to suggest that these practices may become more common in Catholic churches in Ireland with a high proportion of African immigrants.

Boy M5

Sorry no idea what you're saying.

I was being a little tongue in cheek, given the row about the imam in Dublin who wanted to "import" local practices into Irish society, but it is actually true that African versions of Christianity have often included ideas of witchcraft - and that there have been deaths of children in England through African immigrant performing "exorcisms".

The Vatican didn't officially approve, so they were mainly seen as part of the pentecostalist religions, but that is now changing it seems.
Because the RCC was losing out to the pentecostalists by not providing these "services".

SO it's not completely farfetched to suggest that these practices may become more common in Catholic churches in Ireland with a high proportion of African immigrants.
I don't care about some fella running a minority outfit in an industrial estate or shop.

I prefer fundamental points (not fundamentalism - of whatever stripe. I am witnessing a lot of advanced social liberal fundamentalism on this site. With casual racism and ageism thrown in).

Read my post. Exorcism made within the OECD, NATO, EU.
No black fellas involved.

No suh massa. I'll get your flat white, just as soon as your eye brows stop arching at the auld wan reading the Universe.

Brenny

What is "wrong" with praying the rosary?
Ever been to a funeral?
Time and place for everything. Why would a crowd use a loud speaker to publicly recite the Rosary in a busy shopping street on a Saturday afternoon? What's the purpose of this? Do you think this is the same as a recital at a funeral?

Boy M5

Time and place for everything. Why would a crowd use a loud speaker to publicly recite the Rosary in a busy shopping street on a Saturday afternoon? What's the purpose of this? Do you think this is the same as a recital at a funeral?
Beacause it's a beautiful form of praying in a country where most of the populace declare some form of adherence to the catholic (universal) faith.

What's wrong for asking for succor at the hour of your death?

Or maybe you are intolerant?

New Threads

Most Replies