The new Property Tax that is coming in - what would happen if people refused to pay?

bobbysands81

As a protest, what would happen if people, en masse, refused to pay the new Property tax?

I mean a proper organised refusal to pay as a protest against the Government whereby thousands and thousands of people just refuse to pay it?

niropiro

En masse? Such a refusal would have to be organised with a national committee and local branches the length and breath of the country. No such organisation exists or is even likely to exist.
Pure fantasy.
Next...

former wesleyan

They'd be kneecapped ?

PUFF DADDY

If it is a flat rate and if it comes in while they keep stamp duty, this mama aint paying the same flat rate as some guy in a "mansion", I don't care, I have had enough. They have been spinning this for 2 yrs like the child benefit options (means/tax)/water rates and have done nothing on progressing it fairly. So they can stick their flat rate up their asses.

God I am angry today.

i paid stamp duty of 5 grand on my house 5 years ago.hence i have already paid property tax. if they expect me to pay a second time then i will be needing my 5 grand back, simple as.

PUFF DADDY

I wonder if they play it like a temporary flat rate tax until they have the mechanisms in place to base it on value of properties and spin that we are all in this together.

STILL NOT PAYING IT

bobbysands81

En masse? Such a refusal would have to be organised with a national committee and local branches the length and breath of the country. No such organisation exists or is even likely to exist.
Pure fantasy.
Next...
You don't need "committees" for people to stand up themselves and say they've had enough.

When's the "tipping point"? Cos it has to be fairly close at the moment...

asset test

I think it will be self assessed like the 2nd home tax.

If you don't pay, the bill will roll up (with interest:eek:) until the property is sold, you die, or you pay it.

The same principle should apply to the cash poor, asset rich too. No excuses, everyone pays.....eventually. A step towards this mantra of "we are all in it together".

Well I tells ya, if some pensioner Biddy in Ballsbridge does not pay now because she cannot afford it, then the successors to her estate should pay.

Like Puff, I am one angry person today. Don't know why, just am p*ssed off big time.

Catalpa

I'll pay on the same day as the Roma family across the road pay a property tax on the private house they occupy!

- 12th of never in reality.

Given the difficulty the Government had bringing in the Water Charges some years ago I think this one will find it impossible to levy a property tax on people's homes.

If there is one then tax the urban landlords to the hilt and leave ordinary workers alone.

Its quite simple really

- any person in occupancy of a private dwelling or Council/Corpo house or flat gets to designate one property as their home

-and anything else is taxed at incremental rates depending on how many properties they own.

Skrynesaver

Charge goes on property until tax is paid, so you can't sell your house (don't laugh now, you may want to emigrate)

Dreaded_Estate

i paid stamp duty of 5 grand on my house 5 years ago.hence i have already paid property tax. if they expect me to pay a second time then i will be needing my 5 grand back, simple as.

Would you refuse to pay you motor tax or fuel taxes because you have already VRT?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
You don't need "committees" for people to stand up themselves and say they've had enough.

When's the "tipping point"? Cos it has to be fairly close at the moment...
I assume you think a property tax would be a bad thing?

I think it might be one bit silver lining that may emerge from this crisis. The end of Fianna Fáil being another.

neiphin

En masse? Such a refusal would have to be organised with a national committee and local branches the length and breath of the country.
that would be handy for the garda
have a wacking good time at those meetings

meriwether

Its a comfort to me that I have no money and no assets.

If I was in charge, I'd levy a 200 flat rate on all properties, BUT levy a 1500 flat rate on every sibsequent house you own after that.

The ordinary bloke won't suffer too much, but landlords and large property owners will pay quite a bit.

Plus, it will fukk Frank Fahey right up.

William D

We need a property tax --badly need to widen the tax base, provide stability of receipts to Government and place a lid on madness of property market . But not to fund an oversized out of control public sector --sort that out and then introduce a property tax.

The OD

That all? I paid thirty grand and they think I am paying any more then roll on Mountjoy, I wont be paying it.

Ever.

Unless........ I decide to fake an injury when in Mountjoy, sue the testes off them and use some of the money fraudulently obtained to pay it.

Sounds terrible I know, but if they want to try to get me to pay for their f*ck ups, then all bets are off. I only fight one way - dishonestly and dirty.

'orebel

Its a comfort to me that I have no money and no assets.

If I was in charge, I'd levy a 200 flat rate on all properties, BUT levy a 1500 flat rate on every sibsequent house you own after that.

The ordinary bloke won't suffer too much, but landlords and large property owners will pay quite a bit.

Plus, it will fukk Frank Fahey right up.
No it won't. He'll just up the rent €125 a month, as will all landlords including yours.

Most Replies