The next Garda Commissioner

Disillusioned democrat

ger12

This appointment has to come from outside of Ireland.

That's gonna cost.

enuffisenuff

Norah didn't get paid enough so that's why she was such a fookin disaster? Makes sense now..

Sister Mercedes

That's 50% more than the salary of the New York Police Commissioner, who serves a population of 8 million and manages about 50,000 cops.

Old Mr Grouser

You have to hand it to our politicians - they know how to turn a crisis into an opportunity to spend more tax payers money.

They've decided that the next Commissioner they buy needs to be paid €300k to stay bought.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-could-offer-salary-of-300-000-to-attract-garda-chief-1.3217514

The obvious response to doing a crap job is obviously to throw more money at the problem.
If that's what's needed. :D

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Sister Mercedes

I think the salary should remain the same. They can offer a relocation package, housing etc to someone coming from overseas. But I don't want to pay 300k and just see one of Noirin's old deputies getting the job.

And wait for Ingrid Miley to turn this into a demand for huge pay increases for all senior PS.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
You have to hand it to our politicians - they know how to turn a crisis into an opportunity to spend more tax payers money.

They've decided that the next Commissioner they buy needs to be paid €300k to stay bought.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-could-offer-salary-of-300-000-to-attract-garda-chief-1.3217514

The obvious response to doing a crap job is obviously to throw more money at the problem.
I actually agree with putting up the salary. The job has to be attractive to a foreign heavyweight.

In fact, it appears to be signalling that they're casting the net very broad.

I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).

Sister Mercedes

I'm not so enthused about hiring someone from way overseas. We'll attract 2nd rate candidates who didn't get the top job back home. I wasn't impressed with the Australian they hired to run Anglo/IBRC.

The PSNI is where I would be looking.

Disillusioned democrat

This appointment has to come from outside of Ireland.

That's gonna cost.
Sure - but remember all the bull excrement about having to pay the top bankers to attract the best, and lo and behold they were under our noses all the time - Richie Boucher for example.

If this turns out to be an "internal" candidate we'll have just cost the state another €120k needlessly.

Also IF it's an external candidate get's the job let's make the €300k the "all in cost" and not offer a €150k pension on top of that - I'm sure the candidates from beyond our shores don't even know how ridiculous our public sector (especially AGS) pensions are.

Old Mr Grouser

I actually agree with putting up the salary. The job has to be attractive to a foreign heavyweight ...
Yes. It has to be someone who's ready to tell one and all - government, media, politicians - to take a running jump.

Disillusioned democrat

That's 50% more than the salary of the New York Police Commissioner, who serves a population of 8 million and manages about 50,000 cops.
It's just funny money - our politicians believe the answer to everything is to pay more, more more...especially if there's something in it for them.

Imagine how much control they'd have over a shmoe earning €300k at their discretion.

Roberto Jordan

Thats more than the commisioner of the NYPD , a larger force policing a larger population with higher crime rates and more vociferous third party, political, press & public scrutiny is paid.........
Given Jimmy O'Neil is of pretty obvious extraction they should be able to tempt him or someone other son of Erin pretty easily with that moolah ( or a hell of a lot less.....)

The normal irish equation it seems is at play:
lawyers/ doctors/ politicians and a bunch of public servants make as much or more than other developed nation equivalents.....a whole different bunch of public sector along with most other professionals ( myself included when i was irish based ) make a hell of a lot less....go figure....

Disillusioned democrat

I actually agree with putting up the salary. The job has to be attractive to a foreign heavyweight.

In fact, it appears to be signalling that they're casting the net very broad.

I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).
Or...they're justifying the high salary and then - amazingly - find the best candidate right under their noses all along, but now they have a very very grateful Comish compromised by the scale of the salary.

Fullforward

Yeah yeah, but this is Ireland!

Roberto Jordan

You got there before me.... poor james...I shoudl swing by police plaza to see if he is calmed down at the affront of someone commanding afoce of which 4o to 50% of the members must be stationed in small towns and villages earning that much more than him...

Then again this is a police force which pays members in the Corca Dhuibhine gaelteacht more than some one in an innner city station....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies