The Next Northern Ireland Election.

devonish

So Arlene thinks that the answer is unionist unity and somehow thinks that UUP voters transferring to the SDLP, Alliance or other parties is a result of Nesbitt's stance rather than being a reflection on the DUP and her in particular. The DUP showed little regard for the UUP or any other party when it was sitting pretty with 38 MLAs and a nice little carve up of power between it and SF.
It's hard to see where the UUP goes from here, personally I agreed with their election strategy but project fear prevented any material movement from DUP to them and given the thin margin now between the DUP and SF it is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible for the UUP to make inroads into the DUP vote in the near future.
I find it hard to visualise a merger of the two parties without significant fallout from the more moderate side of the UUP and a net loss of voters probably to Alliance.

cut the begs

they wont need one party in another election.that was sf best shot with a protest vote.nothings changed.

between the bridges

Commander of the North

Round tower

On Thurs. night a ex Unionist MLA was interviewed on BBC and he was not very complementary to either the leadership of the DUP and UUP, he predicted that neither of them would survive as leaders

blinding

Perhaps the Dup will Re-incarnate Ian Paisley(and his ilk) from the 1960s/70s ............

devonish

Perhaps the Dup will Re-incarnate Ian Paisley(and his ilk) from the 1960s/70s ............
No need for re-incarnation, they have Ian Paisley version 2, a free upgrade with some of the original bugs sorted out.

blinding

No need for re-incarnation, they have Ian Paisley version 2, a free upgrade with some of the original bugs sorted out.
Ian version 2 has seen some of the light .He just has to capture the light and get it to where the light don't normally shine............

Enigma Variations

Not a chance. The UUP is too broad a church to be subsumed into the DUP. And the TUV is basically Continuity DUP. Whilst sharing a lot of the principles, TUV don't think the DUP go nearly far enough...
I heard on Talkback today, for what feels like the zillionth time, further references today to the "unionist family" - David McNarry was the culprit this time, (and for good measure, he also referred to Sinn Fein as "bears" if I heard him right.) Mind you maybe he was referring to Arlene who has been going around like a bear with a sore head since Friday. :)
It struck me that language of hard-line unionism, when portraying themuns compared to usuns is characterised by fanciful ideas as to how they perceive the different sides.
Leaving aside Arlene's past references to "crocodiles" and "rogue nationalist and republican ministers", they frequently portray the wider strands of unionism as "family" with all the connotations of caring and nurturing that the word suggests, whereas nationalists are a "pan-nationalist front", implying confrontation & aggression.
Such negative characterisations of nationalists (in contrast to cuddly, lovable, family-orientated unionism) are of course symbolic of the slightly delusional state of mind of hard-line unionism, and are probably an accurate reflection of how far we still have to travel to attain mutual acceptance and respect. They are the ultimate proof, if anyone ever doubted it, of how dysfunctional the northern state actually is, and by extension a good indicator of why it will probably never work.

Mickeymac

I heard on Talkback today, for what feels like the zillionth time, further references today to the "unionist family" - David McNarry was the culprit this time, (and for good measure, he also referred to Sinn Fein as "bears" if I heard him right.) Mind you maybe he was referring to Arlene who has been going around like a bear with a sore head since Friday. :)
It struck me that language of hard-line unionism, when portraying themuns compared to usuns is characterised by fanciful ideas as to how they perceive the different sides.
Leaving aside Arlene's past references to "crocodiles" and "rogue nationalist and republican ministers", they frequently portray the wider strands of unionism as "family" with all the connotations of caring and nurturing that the word suggests, whereas nationalists are a "pan-nationalist front", implying confrontation & aggression.
Such negative characterisations of nationalists (in contrast to cuddly, lovable, family-orientated unionism) are of course symbolic of the slightly delusional state of mind of hard-line unionism, and are probably an accurate reflection of how far we still have to travel to attain mutual acceptance and respect. They are the ultimate proof, if anyone ever doubted it, of how dysfunctional the northern state actually is, and by extension a good indicator of why it will probably never work.

Their use of language to describe their Nationalist political oppononts will help to ensure a UI faster than even they could ever imagine.

theloner

Unionists in meltdown today all across the radio waves. My personal fave was yer man who said the CLMC 'didn't sign up for this'. Oh, and Jimmy Wilson was a hoot too with his yapping and yelping. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Se0samh

Never, never, NEVER NNEVAAR!...............;)

TiredOfBeingTired

Regarding a possible second election, I used the quote below after the indecisive 2016 Dail election.

Finally, I want to misquote slightly the war film "Cross of Iron"
A dejected Colonel Brandt: "What will we do when this war is over?"
An equally pessimistic Captain Kiesel: "Prepare for the next one".
Cross of Iron (1977) - Quotes - IMDb
http://www.politics.ie/forum/elections/246586-second-election-2016-a.html#post10068617

The continual war scenario didnt come to pass in Dublin.
Might it be more relevant to Belfast than Dublin?

TiredOfBeingTired

Ian v2 is becoming as sensible as his twin, who incidentally has been very quiet lately...

hollandia

Ian Paisley Jr before he got cut off, from talkback was making a point something along those lines, stating that he himself was guilty of combative language. I'm coming round to the idea that he has realised that persuasion is more achievable with a carrot than a stick.

New Threads

Most Replies