The Next YFG National Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

bluejay101

calm down lads, was looking at the summer school thread and was only "taking the michael" with this thread. In my day (100 yrs ago) before ye kicked me out for being too old (grey hairs and male pattern baldness was a sign i suppose) there was never as much *************************ing from a summer school, although in my day only bout 20 would go.

Ryanf1

If its 18 months that takes us up to August 2010, another year away. A motion was put forward to changee the executive from 18 to 12 months at the last conference, but this was defeated.

Rocky

If anything the term should extended. Nothing gets done in the last 4 month. Sure have they done anything in the first 6 months?
18 months is fine. People lose complete interest if you make it longer then that and a year is too little as be the time you settle in, your running again.

However there is the problem now that there is no National Conference in the next college year. Last time there was a college year without a conference they had a small little conference in Dublin, but that wasn’t anywhere near as good as any conference, although it was better then nothing.

universidy

I think that the days of endless commentary on this minor internal party election are over. Its very much for the better. I've seen some slanderous crap written about what should be a fairly intimate affair. I've never thought any of it was particularly fair. If you want to discuss issues, do so with a candidate by phone, email etc or just go to a hustings.

Rocky

I wonder what'll be on the agenda this year? Conscription for the unemployed again, or something more palatable like banning trade unions? :roll:
I'm still working on my banning all left-wing organisations motion. Banning trade unions just isn't enough. We need to aim higher.

antiestablishmentarian

I'm still working on my banning all left-wing organisations motion. Banning trade unions just isn't enough. We need to aim higher.
Good stuff. Funnily enough some of your parties founders had similar ideas. I guess your approach is seeking to go back to the roots of FG yeah?

Rocky

Good stuff. Funnily enough some of your parties founders had similar ideas. I guess your approach is seeking to go back to the roots of FG yeah?

They actually didn't. Fine Gael never argued that we should ban all left wing organisations. The IRA argued that Fine Gael and CnaG before that should be banned and all their leaders throw in jail though.

antiestablishmentarian

They actually didn't. Fine Gael never argued that we should ban all left wing organisations. The IRA argued that Fine Gael and CnaG before that should be banned and all their leaders throw in jail though.
If you knew anything about the history of the SP, you'd know we have no truck with the IRA, their tactics or their nationalist-sectarian ideology. FG mightn't have said that but founding currents of FG had those ideas and went to Spain to put them into practice.

spotty

And so the time of year has arrived when Baby Blueshirts across the nation arise and follow Enda to some hotel where they will disgrace themselves with alcohol and and a tendency to kick the poor. Several young nerds will lose their virginity in the clammy surrounds of a dank hotel room with a person who is almost as desperate as they are themselves. Hundreds of young University students will stand and clap a speech by Enda Kenny that will be ten thousand times worse than an effort they could make themselves, even in their misguided youth. Pointless elections will be fought and squabbled over as if they were the White House, while motions that will never again see the light of day will be treated as civilisation-threatening. The Party's TDs will show up to buy a few drinks and win themselves the cheapest, easiest canvassers in the world. Ambitious nerds will be promised advancement, ugly ones promised popularity, and gay ones celebrated as examples of diversity.

The whole shameful, clammy, sweaty occasion will pass off largely unnoticed, and in years to come, those who were there will speak of it in hushed and shameful tones.

I for one am glad our Ógra conferences are nothing like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies