The non-progeny of Europe's political class.

gerhard dengler

I hope this is created in the correct section of this site.

Have you noticed that the political leaders of several of Europe's major countries have no progeny (children)?

Teresa May (U.K.) has no children.
Angela Merkel (Germany) has no children.
Emmanual Macron (France) has no children.
Paolo Gentiloni (Italy) has no children.
Mark Rutte (Netherlands) has no children.
Xavier Bettel (Luxembourg) has no children.

What does this tell us, if anything, about Europe and it's societal direction? Is it another signpost which indicates that Europe's indigenous population is dying away? Is it a political signal?

Hans Von Horn

Have you noticed that the political leaders of several of Europe's major countries have no progeny (children)?

What does this tell us, if anything, about Europe and it's societal direction? Is it another signpost which indicates that Europe's indigenous population is dying away? Is it a political signal?
We should reject leaders who have no Children. They have a different perspective on the future.

Congalltee

Trump has 5 children; what does that tell us about US society?
SFA, in my view.

The EU list includes some who has chosen not to have children and those who are biologically unable to children of their own or those who are in a same sex union (and would therefore have to adopt or find a willing surrogate or engage in unethical commercial surrogacy).

blinding

I suppose they are not selling out there own Children but it doesn't stop them selling out the indigenous people of their own countries......

gerhard dengler

I suppose they are not selling out there own Children but it doesn't stop them selling out the indigenous people of their own countries......
This is an interesting point.

Politics is about many things such as power. But politics at a certain point is also about legacies.

It is fashionable for many these days to consider stuff from the past as being redundant and useless. In the old days, it was a requirement that the political leader of a nation be married and have children, preferably. Part of that requirement was that the person seeking elected office be seen as someone who made personal sacrifices to become a family man. This was viewed as being responsible and honourable, by society generally.

It was also seen that by having a wife and children that a political leader would be more cognisant of creating a legacy whereby the question of "what sort of a future am I handing on to my children and other children" would be more tangible.

GDPR

This is the thing that I really hate about libtards, they seem to have absolutely no concern for the medium yet alone the long term future. Everything is about the immediate for them and their own subjective feelings.

tsarbomb

It shows that these leaders are less likely to have the interests of the next generation in mind. Nothing focuses your mind on the direction that the world is heading like having children.

Um, Varadkar.
The OP specifies leaders.

GDPR

Umm, the ability to do ones job and having children or not, are completely separate surely?

Dame_Enda

Hitler didnt have any children either.
There was a man who claimed to be Hitler's son from the WW1 period.

Maybe some electorates want a leader who can devote all their spare time to governing as opposed to childrearing.

GDPR

We should reject leaders who have no Children. They have a different perspective on the future.
100% . I thought I had a fairly set outlook on life. Then I became a dad at a relatively mature age and was proven completely wrong.

GDPR

Umm, the ability to do ones job and having children or not, are completely separate surely?
No idea if you have any kids of your own. However I found its a psychologically transformational event.

gerhard dengler

As explained earlier, politics includes many things including the creation of a political legacy. Political legacies, good or bad, boil down to the effect that they have on people.

New Threads

Most Replies