• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Nurses Fight Back!

An anti-health cuts website set up by the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organistion is attracting huge online traffic from beleaguered health care workers who are campaigning to keep their jobs and make the health system work.

www.stophealthcuts.ie is full of scary information regarding the effects the health cuts thus far is having on us, the people, as well as the loss of jobs for nurses, junior doctors, midwives and all those actually involved in treating people as opposed to creating paperwork. I see another 19 beds have gone from the Male Surgical Ward in Mayo General Hospital this week, thus bringing a total closure of 1,300 hospital beds nationwide to date.

The Nurses, as well as an open letter to the Minister for Health (excuse me while I choke) also write of the heart breaking experiences they witness everyday of the year due to cut backs. There is also a very scary bit on the new Fair Deal Scheme regarding nursing homes for the elderly and the rip off going on there not to mention the huge delays in processing applications for those waiting for accommodation in nursing homes.

I wish I could link yiz in to this website but you all know what I'm like regarding technology. I'm still trying to figure out where all these shagging emails I keep getting from weird people are coming from and everytime I try to bin them they hop back on again. Strange. Anyway, look at the website when you have a chance but take the blood pressure tablets first.

Last edited:

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Maybe it is finally happening Lazurus, and people are going beyond the normal routes for communicating anger and using new technology to connect with people.,

For the past decade every time the nurses tried to organise a fightback against what was going on in the health services, they were lead by the nose by their unions and into discussions which ran up a cul de sac

This gives people outside the profession a chance to see what is really happening

spidermom

Thanks for posting this Laz!

Not a big fan of the INMO..but thats another story..this link on their page however tells it the way it is...!!

nakatomi

Cannot say I am a fan of them either, they shaft their fellow nurses in the emergency departments all the time.

asset test

I have to say I am a bit ambivalent about nurses.

Have you EVER seen a nurse running to look after a patient? Trundle, trundle with the drugs trolley, the bp monitor, the temp thing, around and around, and at a leisurely pace too.

Have you ever seen the nurses crowded around the desk and when you ask for info, they blink as if you have asked them to explain qauntum physics.

Have you ever seen fully qualified nurses handing files to the consultant from a trolley in the opd. and that is it. 10 to 5. What the F? easy gig. I could do that and I don't know my Augmentin from my Ativan.

Sorry but I have experience of this over many years.

I do have time for the A+E staff, and for the clinical staff in theatres etc. and those actually working in opd and places like warfarin clinics (hell on wheels).

But in the general wards. Sorry, no. Not in my experience anyway. No doubt there are some who are great, but the general impression for me, is less is more. Sorry, I know I will get a blast for what I have just said, but I have seen it over the last ten years with relatives in hospital.

Halo

Have you EVER seen a nurse running to look after a patient? Trundle, trundle with the drugs trolley, the bp monitor, the temp thing, around and around, and at a leisurely pace too.

Have you ever seen the nurses crowded around the desk and when you ask for info, they blink as if you have asked them to explain qauntum physics.

Have you ever seen fully qualified nurses handing files to the consultant from a trolley in the opd. and that is it. 10 to 5. What the F? easy gig. I could do that and I don't know my Augmentin from my Ativan.

I do have time for the A+E staff, and for the clinical staff in theatres etc. and those actually working in opd and places like warfarin clinics (hell on wheels).

But in the general wards. Sorry, no. Not in my experience anyway. No doubt there are some who are great, but the general impression for me, is less is more. Sorry, I know I will get a blast for what I have just said, but I have seen it over the last ten years with relatives in hospital.
i have friends from the north that are nurses and they've been telling me for years that they'd love to get their hands on a post in the south because of the enhanced wages their counterparts receive.

Im not saying they are overpayed but surely there should be scope to take a bit from them, pay off some debt with it and maybe use some of the leftover money to employ an extra nurse or two as they're always saying that they're understaffed.

That would mean, more nurses, better public services, less debt and nurses with wages probably still higher than their uk counterparts!

Whats wrong with this!

politicaldonations

i have friends from the north that are nurses and they've been telling me for years that they'd love to get their hands on a post in the south because of the enhanced wages their counterparts receive.

Im not saying they are overpayed but surely there should be scope to take a bit from them, pay off some debt with it and maybe use some of the leftover money to employ an extra nurse or two as they're always saying that they're understaffed.

That would mean, more nurses, better public services, less debt and nurses with wages probably still higher than their uk counterparts!

Whats wrong with this!
That is not the trade union way my friend. They dont really care about overall service provision and performance and overall wellbeing of country. they only care about pay and conditions of EXISTING members. Extortionists that use sacred cows like the nurses to muddy the waters.

greengoose2

Tell us then what you are engaged in to earn your living. Do you run around feverishly, sweating like a pig from the massive energy you produce? Are you an absolute delight for your employer?

It's funny how everybody knows the other person's job better than their own. Maybe the nurses have to observe laid down procedures. Maybe they look after more than the unique whinger who can't read the number on the door.

Do tell us from what platform you are qualified to harp on nurses from. Oh, don't forget that lady who sits behing the desk on the way in. She's called a r.e.c.e.p.t.i.o.n.i.s.t. She can answer a lot of questions you may have to ask. The hospital pay her to do this. She may get bored if nobody asks her questions. :rolleyes:

b.a. baracus

Nurses are hugely overpaid. The INMO can run propaganda campaigns until they are blue in the face but the simple fact is that the vast majority of expenditure in the health service is staff costs which are far too high. Of course nurses are not alone, consultants and health professionals are also hugely overpaid.

Compare and contrast wages here with those in the NHS. If we had NHS wages here we could not only afford no cutbacks we could afford extra services.

Don't fall for INMO propaganda.

greengoose2

Nurses are hugely overpaid. The INMO can run propaganda campaigns until they are blue in the face but the simple fact is that the vast majority of expenditure in the health service is staff costs which are far too high. Of course nurses are not alone, consultants and health professionals are also hugely overpaid.

Compare and contrast wages here with those in the NHS. If we had NHS wages here we could not only afford no cutbacks we could afford extra services.

Don't fall for INMO propaganda.
I fervently hope that you are not hugely overpaid. I'm sure you can give us an idea of how to manage our households on a modest wage. On what criteria can we gauge you wage?

Cato

I fervently hope that you are not hugely overpaid. I'm sure you can give us an idea of how to manage our households on a modest wage. On what criteria can we gauge you wage?
Well, if it's any help, my wife and I managed our household budget solely on social welfare for nine months. We even managed to save a little.

Cato

That's a good enough platform to crib about overpaid taxpayers at leat. petunia
Ara, I'm not really having a go at nurses, but with discipline and planning one can get by on a little.

Mar Tweedy

Think this is worth reposting here.

Hospital Closed Beds as of September2010

Total 1,378

Aras Mahair Pol CNU, Castlerea 10 - long stay beds for elderly closed due to non replacement of staff

Aoibhinn, Cardonagh 4- Alzheimer's beds closed

Bantry General Hospital 14 - surgical ward beds closed

Beaumont Hospital 62 - beds closed

Belmullet District Hospital 10 - care of the elderly beds closed

Bethany House (Care of the Elderly) Carlow 38 - beds closed

Connolly Hospital 2 - (1 ICU & 1 CCU beds closed) 30 - beds closed

Elective Orthopaedic Hospital, Croom 24 - beds closed

Ennis General Hospital 27 - surgical beds closed

John Sullivan Memorial Home, Cavan 14 - beds closed

Kilcreen Hospital, kilkenny 20 - beds closed

Letterkenny General 28 - beds closed

Lifford Hospital 10 - beds closed

Lisdarn Hospital, Cavan 15 - beds closed

Loughloe House 26 - beds closed (to be closed over 2 months)

Mayo General Hospital 16 - male surgical beds closed

Mercy University Hospital, Cork 31 - surgical ward beds closed
6 - Male surgical beds (St Patrick's Ward)
6 - Paediatric beds (St Anne's Ward)

Merlin Park, Galway 34 - medical ward beds closed
9 - Orthopaedic Day Ward
27 - beds closed
Monaghan General 56 - beds and a high care unit

Midlands Regional Hospital Mullingar 41 - beds closed
12 - day ward beds closed
Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore 86 - beds closed

Naas 24 - beds closed

Nenagh General 30 - beds closed

Ofalia House, Edenderry (Care of the elderly services) 12 - beds closed

Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin 25 - orthopaedic ward beds closed. Equivalent of One Theatre - reduced capacity and outpatients reduced by 15%.

Our Lady’s Hospital, Navan 18 - medical beds closed

Pathways (Care of the Elderly Services, Cavan) 6 - beds closed

Plunkett CNU, Boyle 9 - beds closed

Portiuncula Hospital 13 - beds closed (St John's Ward)

Ramelton N.U., Donegal 8 - beds closed

Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital 10 - recovery beds closed

Sacred Heart, Castlebar 36 - beds closed

Sligo General Hospital 66 - beds closed

South Tipperary General 21 - beds closed 1 - ICU bed closed

South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork 27 - beds (female medical ward)

St. Anne's, Clifden 10 - beds closed

St Brendan's Home, Loughrea 12 - beds closed

St Colmcille's, Loughlinstown 23 - beds closed (medical ward)
11 - beds closed (children's ward)
St. Columbanus Home, Killarney 19 - care of the elderly beds closed

St. Francis CNU, Galway 8 - beds closed

St Vincent’s, Athlone/ St Mary’s, Mullingar/ St Joseph’s, Longford (Care of Elderly Facilities) 40 - beds closed

St John's, Enniscorthy 7 - beds closed

St. John’s, Limerick 6 - beds closed

St Joseph’s Hospital, Dungarvan 2 - beds closed (St Michaels ward)

St Joseph's, Stranolar 19 - beds closed

St Luke’s General Hospital, Kilkenny 26 - pre-discharge beds closed
9 - in-patient beds closed
14 - gynae beds closed
2 - medical beds closed

St Patrick's Hospital, Waterford 19 - long stay beds closed

St Vincent’s Hospital, Athy 26 - bedded care of the elderly ward

St Vincent’s Hospital Mountmellick 12 - beds closed

Tallaght Hospital 10 - paediatric beds closed
31 - beds closed (Burkett Ward)

University College Hospital, Galway 8 - Paediatric beds closed
8 - beds (St Mary's Ward)
15 - beds closed (St Monica's Ward)
2 - ICU beds closed
1 - ICU bed closed (cardiac/ thoracic)
28 - Beds closed (St Michael's Ward)

Virginia Health Centre, Cavan 4 - beds closed

Waterford Regional Hospital 3 - beds closed

Wexford General Hospital 14 - gynae beds closed
25 - bedded ward closed

b.a. baracus

Almost everybody in Ireland is overpaid, me included. Of course the price of basic goods, services and housing is also too high. A lot of people fell for the fallacy that this country was a rich country, that we somehow deserved the wages we were paying ourselves. Remember the Government gloating at our international ranking almost at the top of the list of wealthy countries? Of course this was complete baloney - we were in the midst of a massive property bubble and our "wealth" was in fact backed by obscene levels of personal debt. The chickens have now come home to roost and we are running 20 billion plus deficits. The reset button needs to be pressed, but how?

Nurses are overpaid. Nurses (when they could get jobs) were coming straight out of training and earning 32k basic plus allowances - that must equal an average income of at least 36k at 21-22 years of age straight out of education. It only goes up from there and the CNM grades are extremely well paid. Britain, also veering towards an economic basketcase, pays its nurses c 20k straight from college and scales are shorter and allowances are less. You might think your wages are modest, to people with a view which extends outside this banana republic they are not. But you are not alone. Consultants on 240k a year vs c120k in Britain. Bananas.

greengoose2

Almost everybody in Ireland is overpaid, me included. Of course the price of basic goods, services and housing is also too high. A lot of people fell for the fallacy that this country was a rich country, that we somehow deserved the wages we were paying ourselves. Remember the Government gloating at our international ranking almost at the top of the list of wealthy countries? Of course this was complete baloney - we were in the midst of a massive property bubble and our "wealth" was in fact backed by obscene levels of personal debt. The chickens have now come home to roost and we are running 20 billion plus deficits. The reset button needs to be pressed, but how?

Nurses are overpaid. Nurses (when they could get jobs) were coming straight out of training and earning 32k basic plus allowances - that must equal an average income of at least 36k at 21-22 years of age straight out of education. It only goes up from there and the CNM grades are extremely well paid. Britain, also veering towards an economic basketcase, pays its nurses c 20k straight from college and scales are shorter and allowances are less. You might think your wages are modest, to people with a view which extends outside this banana republic they are not. But you are not alone. Consultants on 240k a year vs c120k in Britain. Bananas.
So are you going top tell us how to manage the household expenditure on a modest wage? When you give us the answer we can discuss. Sweeping statements and generalities as per your post are not really fit for debate. ;)

wexfordman

Had a look at it, very sceptical about it and it's mother, would rather a more independent source, so won't be paying it much attention tbh?