• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The NZ forecaster predicting the weather

Aristodemus

I've heard this guy on the Matt Cooper show a couple of times. He is generally wheeled out at this time of the year to entertain us all on his prognostications for the year ahead. Oddly, he is never invited back on when he is, usually, proven totally wrong in his forecasts.

Weather guru Ken Ring says we're in for a summer scorcher - Weather - Independent.ie

The only thing that he has going for him is that his forecasts are for exact dates. Looking at the list he is very specific,which is unlike the old "John Joes" that RTE usually go to up in the hills of Donegal.
I remember one year when Cooper pressed him and he specified a week in July as being exceptionally sunny. It was the week of the Oxigen festival at Punchestown which was a complete washout. In addition, there was a major incident in Dublin Bay involving youngsters sailing which necessitated a major emergency operation, and just to complete the nationwide misfire, there was the major drugs haul from a boat that capsized off Cork. No doubt tonight on RTE this will be reported as if its gospel. The story would be better if they analysed what he had forecast for us last year

Northtipp

Have a look at the last four years and book the Algarve quickly.

sic transit

It's January 2nd , the second day of the longest part of the year without a public holiday. We need something to look forward to, even bunkum.

Astral Peaks

[video=youtube;HMAt8ZXqtbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAt8ZXqtbc[/video]

owedtojoy

I've heard this guy on the Matt Cooper show a couple of times. He is generally wheeled out at this time of the year to entertain us all on his prognostications for the year ahead. Oddly, he is never invited back on when he is, usually, proven totally wrong in his forecasts.

Weather guru Ken Ring says we're in for a summer scorcher - Weather - Independent.ie

The only thing that he has going for him is that his forecasts are for exact dates. Looking at the list he is very specific,which is unlike the old "John Joes" that RTE usually go to up in the hills of Donegal.
I remember one year when Cooper pressed him and he specified a week in July as being exceptionally sunny. It was the week of the Oxigen festival at Punchestown which was a complete washout. In addition, there was a major incident in Dublin Bay involving youngsters sailing which necessitated a major emergency operation, and just to complete the nationwide misfire, there was the major drugs haul from a boat that capsized off Cork. No doubt tonight on RTE this will be reported as if its gospel. The story would be better if they analysed what he had forecast for us last year
We used to have the total charlatan Piers Corbyn, using a method no one had seen, and a success rate of 50%, wheeled out annually by the Daily Mail to tell us we were all going to be de-vast-at-ed by a massive Snowmageddon.

And then they called climate scientists "alarmists"! :)

Iarmhi Gael

Was thinking over the Christmas holidays where that Donegal Postman was with all his predictions over Christmas. Severe Cold snap my a5se.

Shqiptar

Lies lies, all lies. These long range weather forecaster are charlatans.

There are so many complex variables that make up our weather. There's no way they could predict 6 months ahead.

Johnny Zordan

That guy said 2 years ago that summer 2011 would be the hottest since 1976. We all know how that worked out. I don't know why the media here give him so much attention. I guess he has to be right some year though we do get about 2 decent summers per decade.

EvotingMachine0197

Lies lies, all lies. These long range weather forecaster are charlatans.

There are so many complex variables that make up our weather. There's no way they could predict 6 months ahead.
Even 10 days ahead is far fetched IMO, given the degree of natural chaos in the climate systems.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Could we not just hope.. I'd love an absolute scorcher... I mean just to show my bad luck with the weather, the last great summer in Ireland was in 1995... and I had just moved to Africa !!!

I used watch Sky News in the morning before work.. and it was hotter in Ireland than Johannesburg FFS...

I want 1995 again ...

Shqiptar

I spent the summer of 1995 stuck in an office in the Treasury Building in Grand Canal Street in Dublin. We were working mornings, evenings, nights, weekends, bank holidays....

Shqiptar

That guy said 2 years ago that summer 2011 would be the hottest since 1976. We all know how that worked out. I don't know why the media here give him so much attention. I guess he has to be right some year though we do get about 2 decent summers per decade.
In that case, we're owed four pretty sharpish because the last decent one was in 1995.

Shqiptar

Just this once, our Katastrophic Kiwi might be right. So far this year, there's been a preponderance of easterlies. Now, in January-March, that means weather that's colder than usual and drier. Shuffle forward a few months and preponderant easterlies would usually mean long dry warm spells.

I'd settle for a frigid March (and April) if we get a balmy June, July and August.

Goa Tse

I'd love a hot summer, (who wouldn't?) especially with the cold weather right now, but seriously like post #11 says, we can't even predict 10 days ahead with satellites etc. Then again, it's the Irish media they're well renowned for giving air time to spoofers.

Aristodemus

Thought I would give an update on this man's forecasts. When he was on the radio I made a note of the specific dates he earmarked as exceptionally good for the weather. He said that April 16th to April 26th would be absolutely superb. He was way off. Starting last Tuesday 16th the weather here, in Kildare, has been horrific. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were some of the worst I have experienced in a long time. Freezing cold, driving rain, and wind speeds gusting up to 100kph. Pity Pat Kenny didn't phone him back to ask for an explanation. I will keep you updated as to his next "balmy" forecast which comes in May.

Aristodemus

Well that time has arrived again. This balloon from NZ forecast that this week, commencing 12th May would be glorious. Proof, if any more were needed that he is a charlatan. Why does Kenny not invite him back for a review?

Windowshopper

Absolute hocus pocus,