• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The oddities of Internet advertising.

dresden8

On Youtube on another tab from p.ie.

Interested in IBEC? the banner headline.

On another tab youtubing "I don't like Mondays" I see "Interested in IBEC".

Anybody who know me knows I follow the mendacious bastards. But I ain't a fan of IBEC.

Seems odd it would follow my interest into the Rats.

Big brother eh?

jmcc

Probably behaviour based advertising. This is Google's comparison of your recent browsing history with its ads and the system selects ads that in which it "thinks" you might be interested.

dresden8

FFS, now it's IBEC on Ashes to Ashes.

BB is definitely watching.

dresden8

Life on Mars?

Mortgage problems?

www.aib.ie

I didn't realise how all pervasive it is.

And I'm a conspiracy theorist nut.

darkhorse

Google are good (i.e. geniuses) at determining which ads to present to which people
What is your problem?
If you werent interested in such topics then the ads would be different

Ribeye

I'm getting ads for Horseriding lessons, coz of my posts on the horseburger thread:)

pippakin

Of course I simply could not resist this thread. You would be amazed, or not, at the number of adverts I get. If I ever need sleeping tablets I will know exactly where to get them...

Redfly

Twitter
redfly
On Youtube on another tab from p.ie.

Interested in IBEC? the banner headline.

On another tab youtubing "I don't like Mondays" I see "Interested in IBEC".

Anybody who know me knows I follow the mendacious bastards. But I ain't a fan of IBEC.

Seems odd it would follow my interest into the Rats.

Big brother eh?
It's all part of interest based advertising and "remarketing".

Here's a quick intro on remarketing:
[video=youtube;k6dTtcYBBFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dTtcYBBFI[/video]

As for interest based ads, you can opt out here:
Google Ads Preferences

This is for Google only though. You'll have to opt out of remarketing and interest based advertising per network.
On most new ads, there's a little blue "arrow" type thing at the top right hand corner of it. It's tiny. (This is not available with all ads.ad networks so you might not see it on all ads) If you hover over it, it should expand a little to reveal the word "ad choices". If you click that word "ad choices" it should bring you to the page of the ad network that allows you to opt out.

I know how annoying it is. Sometimes you visit a website to write a complaint and all you see is ads for their products for months later. What's more annoying is when you go to a site, make the purchase, then you see ads for weeks advertising the same product you just bought.

The ad networks know a lot more about you than you think. Simple ad blockers don't do much to prevent that.

alloverbartheshouting

I'm getting ads for Horseriding lessons, coz of my posts on the horseburger thread:)
You'd love the ads for pretty much everything on threads relation abortion, the pope or RCC-run schools....

Prepare the Furby Death Squad ...

Ribeye

You'd love the ads for pretty much everything on threads relation abortion, the pope or RCC-run schools....

Prepare the Furby Death Squad ...
It'll have to wait till the morning, they're all tucked up,