The Old and the Cold

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Cold snap hypothermia risk for elderly

Conscious of how cold it is in many homes a few tips might help.

4 Nite-lite candles safely enclosed in lanterns are a good way of heating a small room like a bathroom when the central heating is off. At 3.50 Euros for 100 the candles which burn for four hours are very helpful.

Eight hour and more nite-lite candles are also available.

2 litre plastic milk containers keep water hot and are still warm in the morning if wrapped or covered.

Candles burners that would be safe for days would help keep water pipes safe from freezing. C'mon you heating guys. Poor people need new ideas.

Always bearing in mind the safety aspects. I'm experimenting with diy candle cookers that may be useful when the power electric goes.

firefly123

For the love of god be careful using nitelight candles. The base transfers heat and has been the cause of many fires. Naked flame is dangerous particularly if it's bring used to heat things (therefore placed close). We already had a fire death last night and another likely to die. We can't get to the scene at any speed with the ice. Wrap up warm and use central heat. Never be tempted to use candles to thaw pipes. Check on your older neighbours

yellowfish

For the love of god be careful using nitelight candles. The base transfers heat and has been the cause of many fires. Naked flame is dangerous particularly if it's bring used to heat things (therefore placed close). We already had a fire death last night and another likely to die. We can't get to the scene at any speed with the ice. Wrap up warm and use central heat. Never be tempted to use candles to thaw pipes. Check on your older neighbours

The old couple i help out, phoned me earlier to come round "quickly please" I went around in a rush, leaving a friend to carry on with the heavy work we were doing. On arrival i found that they had turned the tv over to the radio and were complaining they couldn't get a picture, i showed them how to push the guide button.
Old people are a national treasure, but very occasionally you think they might be taking the pis:)

Edit, I didnt pick up on your post properly, you do a good job and i would not whant to make light of your experiance.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Yes the safety aspects are very important but some of us grew up where gas pokers were used to light fires.

My mother moved coal fires from room to room on a shovel.

Most people I would guess turn off the central heating at night. That's when the temperature drops and rooms suddenly get very cold... even when electric blankets have warmed us up.
Many elderly people use cold bathrooms at night.

Candles that burn all night in a safe container would be most welcome in many homes.

Excellent smoke and noxious fume alarms cut down on the risks these days.

rash mulligan

Ya know what we should do with the old.
Raise the Carbon Tax on coal briquettes
and heating oil. That will teach them.
Look at how many many Polar Bears have
died of heat stroke or drowned in the past
three years. But no the elderly insist on
burning fossil fuels and putting all that
plant food (co2) into the air. Have they no
campassion ? Selfish bast*rds.

Expose the lot of them

Another childhood memory supressed, I think that was standard practice, the range in the kitchen was kept going 24/7 and if any of the other fires went out a load of burning coals were transported to those rooms to get the fire going again. This was also the way bedroom fires were lit, shovel loads of burning coal carried up 2-3 flight of stairs.

How did we survive?

rash mulligan

Yeah and no doubt she killed of hundreds of Polar Bears
in the process. Have you no remorse?

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Polar bears eat people.

The cold spell is to last to the New Year according to UK sources so good ideas to help bright and hazard conscious oldies are required.

Better be careful with this new pesky fangled electric machine! Desperate Dan had no such worries.

junius

Ya know what we should do with the old.
Raise the Carbon Tax on coal briquettes
and heating oil. That will teach them.
Look at how many many Polar Bears have
died of heat stroke or drowned in the past
three years. But no the elderly insist on
burning fossil fuels and putting all that
plant food (co2) into the air. Have they no
campassion ? Selfish bast*rds.
I think we'd be struggling to use tea lights for heating bathrooms or whatever in our homes but interesting ideas nonetheless if they could be totally safe. Can't help wondering what poor souls somewhere else in the world have to source raw materials, make, pack etc... 100 tea lights which can be sold in Ireland for €3.50 making a profit for the shop, transporters and all the middle men etc....along their way!
OK, probably not the least squeamish of links and little to do with tea lights for house heating but seeing as you brought up polar bears: Our modern world is not a pretty place!

Polar Bear on Vimeo

Last edited:

Mighty Medic

This going to be an increasing problem over the next few years,I predict we could see similar rates to the seventies or eighties.Particularly since bord gas and ESB are pricing themselves out of the market.Lets hope that im wrong and that,we still have fire services that haven't been decimated to the point of inefficiency if my prediction is true.

Oh and the polar bears would also be a tragedy.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Ah the days of gas mantle lighting and oil lamps are soon forgotten by the click generation.

Four nightlights in a glass lantern act as a heater for small rooms and if they were eight hour lights they would keep the room warm all night. Do the sums. Long lasting candles are available.

All you need is a safe metal container.

junius

Ah the days of gas mantle lighting and oil lamps are soon forgotten by the click generation.

Four nightlights in a glass lantern act as a heater for small rooms and if they were eight hour lights they would keep the room warm all night. Do the sums. Long lasting candles are available.

All you need is a safe metal container.
Must try it out - but you should have kept it quiet really. If FF gets a whiff of this the VAT will bring the prices up to 35 cents a candle!

New Threads

Most Replies