• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Old GOP is now Dead

Oreo Livermore

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00zdbS66kc]YouTube - Rand Paul's Victory Speech (Full)[/ame]

This is the victory speach by Rand Paul. It is unlike any other I have seen. He is different than when he was campaigning yesterday. Many said he would now move to the centre. Well I might call it centre but most readers here would believe that now he has gone fromright wing to extreme right.

It is important to recognise what has happened here. The Paulites have taken over the party. They had 13000 votes in 2008. Today they had 206000.

Note that Ron Paul was no longer the focus of attention. That is a change. Maybe Rand does not wish to be seen to be as liberal as his father.

The Establishment all came out against him. Mitch McConnell now can count the days till he is dumped as the phoney liberal he is. Cheney, Giuliani and all the other phonies were against him.

Actually the only one of real note who supported him was Jim deMint.

Bunning and Palin endorsed him too.

A big endorsement he got was from James Dobson who switched from Grayson after he realised he was lied to. This is very important for the presidential race in 2012. He speaks for the evangelicals who Ron Paul will need in 2012.

Rand Paul directly blames the GOP for much of the problems facing the country.

The clock has been switched back 50 years and the Eastern Establishment are going to get the boot.

Rand Paul is the new Barry Goldwater. Goldwater failed to win the presidency but the Paulites are going from strenght to strenght.

No more RINOs. The GOP are now back to a Constitutional Party

A great night for the Paulites.

Ron Paul has finally won a state. 49 to go

rhonda15

Fantastic news to wake up to! :)

This is just the beginning!

Cassandra Syndrome

Excellent news. Peter Schiff is running for Senate in 2010 as well.

grafter1

Great news - it's going to be an interesting next few years in american politics

bogmanjoe

I see Specter was caught offside.
It really is time to clean out the shed.
I hope all carear politians are tossed out on their
ass whether they be Republican or Democrat.
Time for the people to take back THEIR country.

Squire Allworthy

This is good news.

The more people elected who are not in the pockets of vested interests the better. (of whatever hue). However it would take a major upheaval to root out the corruption that manipulates the political system.

Rand Paul needs to brush up on his speech delivery.

imokyrok

I see the two democrats in their primary both had more actual votes than Rand. I guess it will be all down to Kentucky voter turnout in November. The Dems need to keep Pauls policies in the media - like getting rid of The Americans With Disabilities Act.

CookieMonster

It's great news. The key to this is others who would have seen staying slithering about the centre as a valid and safe way to gather support will not think again.

Good news all round. :D

bogmanjoe

Squire:
"Rand Paul needs to brush up on his speech delivery."

I respectfully disagree. I think if Obama has shown us anything
it is that we need to move away from the superficial cosmetics of politics
and into something more realistic and natural if you will.

Like Chris Christie for example. When asked at a restaurant if he
would be interested in running for Governor. He responded with
mouth full " You want me to run for Governor? Yeah f*ck it why
not. I,ll run for Governor."

Brilliant!! The revolution is on.

imokyrok

Squire:
"Rand Paul needs to brush up on his speech delivery."

I respectfully disagree. I think if Obama has shown us anything
it is that we need to move away from the superficial cosmetics of politics
and into something more realistic and natural if you will.

Like Chris Christie for example. When asked at a restaurant if he
would be interested in running for Governor. He responded with
mouth full " You want me to run for Governor? Yeah f*ck it why
not. I,ll run for Governor."

Brilliant!! The revolution is on.
Oh dear! He'll have whiny teens writing him "tut, tut" letters if he's not careful. ;) Joe Biden Sends 'F-Bomb' Apology Letter To Kentucky Teen Brandon Halcomb

eoinod

Worst possible news.

GOP are fast turning into a fringe party completely devoid of intellectualism thereby robbing the sane electorate of what is still the world's only true superpower of any choice.

The death of the party of Eisenhower, Nixon and Teddy Roosevelt is a sad sad thing.

atlantic

Great stuff ,the people are waking up .

owedtojoy

Worst possible news.

GOP are fast turning into a fringe party completely devoid of intellectualism thereby robbing the sane electorate of what is still the world's only true superpower of any choice.

The death of the party of Eisenhower, Nixon and Teddy Roosevelt is a sad sad thing.
Agreed.

Nate Silver is probably the best political prognosticator around and here is his take on Kentucky. Like Silver, I think Paul is just an opportunist who will quickly blend into GOP-Senate grey, if he gets anywhere.

Reading some other reports, Rand Paul is hated so much by the Grayson faction that they may not turn out for him e.g. there is already a rumour that Paul ungraciously refused to take Grayson's concession telephone call. It seems Grayson is putting on a "united" face but the polls say his Repubican supporters are 43% against Paul in a general election.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: What Tuesday Really Meant

Kentucky -- Republican Senate primary

The results: Rand Paul defeats Trey Grayson, 59-35.

The conventional wisdom: This was a stunning repudiation of the Republican establishment.

The reality: Because of Paul's impressive 24-point margin of victory, almost any explanation you might proffer probably contains some element of truth. But for all his libertarian and tea-party dressing, Paul in fact ran on a fairly conventional, conservative platform. He's pro-life, anti-gay marriage, anti-immigration ... there are only the faintest hints of libertarianism here. This was probably a good thing for him because Kentucky, which has traditionally been socially conservative but economically moderate, is pretty much kitty-corner to the libertarian side of the political quadrant. This was actually very clever, in a lot of ways -- Paul's last name (and decision to affiliate himself with the tea party) gained him national attention and fundraising and earned media, but to people in Kentucky, he ought to have been a very comfortable choice who was somewhat more fresh-faced than his rival. The branded product beat the generic one.

Paul might have some trouble in general election, especially after somewhat underwhelming turnout in the primary (Democratic turnout was actually 60 percent higher, although Democrats enjoy a substantial registration advantage in Kentucky). But that's more because of his inexperience and standoffishness and less because of his platform.

Kentucky -- Democratic Senate primary

The results: Jack Conway defeats Daniel Mongiardo, 44-43.

The conventional wisdom: What? The Democrats had a primary too?

The reality: Yes, they did -- and it was the closest race of the night, with Conway taking an early lead from a substantial advantage in Louisville and Lexington but Mongiardo, who was stronger in rural areas, nearly closing the gap by the end of the night. Conway had polled somewhat better in general election matchups so this is a result most national Democrats will be pleased with -- although the way that Attorney Generals have been going lately, maybe he'll prove to be a bit jinxed

Oreo Livermore

If he did not take Grayson's call it is even better news. The schmuck can go back and be a democrat again.

Paul will not bend and he will not blend. The Paulites are finished with the old republican brand, they can leave.

Teddy Rosevelt is why this country is the way it is today. He sold it out to The Money Trust

Cassandra Syndrome

Eisenhower, Nixon and Roosevelt? War hungry sociopaths.

This is another nail in the coffin of technocratic tyranny. Great news.

owedtojoy

Eisenhower, Nixon and Roosevelt? War hungry sociopaths.

This is another nail in the coffin of technocratic tyranny. Great news.
I do not know a lot about Teddy Roosevelt, I hated Nixon, but I do know Dwight D. Eisenhower led a military invasion that guaranteed a shmuck like you the right to a democratic vote in a relatively prosperous country, and the liberty to be able to call him names.

You could show a bit of respect, and a modicum of gratitude.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies