• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Old IRA

Tir Eoghain

I have been looking for the link of the interveiws and testaments of Volunteers who fought in the War for Independence.

The papers were released before Christmas.

Go raibh maith agat.

between the bridges

james5001

Remember when reading them that some of them are not Gospel, ie some witnesses said things to make others look worse/better.

james5001

Clanrickard

dent

This is the index of witnesses.

Click on the PDF icons and you can read the type written statements.

BMH Witness Statements: Browse Names

Some of the accounts are extremely exciting and read like an Ian Fleming or Alistair Maclean adventure! :D
The father of my mother's first cousin is included in this, and I was able to email the PDF to her. She didn't know the half of what he was involved in, especially his time in the British Army in France, at Loos, Ypres and the Somme. She did mention that he had no time for Frank Busteed, who was the Vice O.C.

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0713.pdf

Cellach

I think, to be fair, that was tongue in check. If I am correct he is actually referring to the more modern branches, or Northern Branches , the Provo's and the Old IRA (The Stickies) Could be wrong of course
If only. I think the reference was to the fact that the four men arrested were all in their forties and thus 'old'. The Stickies are also the 'Official' rather than the 'Old' IRA.