The old movies ... suggestions ...

ger12

I have a stash of old movies, with leading actors from Doris Day, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, Jimmy Stewart to Henry Fonda.

The dialogue is still so sharp, the lessons still to be learnt. I really gotta make time to watch them.

A truly fine comedy is My Favourite Wife (1940), Irene Dunne and Cary Grant are super as he prepares to marry having lost his wife at sea years before, turns out she wasn't dead and returns, the court scene in the first half of the movie is still sharp and funny over 70 years later.

I dusted off another movie today I had been meaning to watch, The Best Man (1964), Henry Fonda is the leading candidate at a presidential convention, it's really good stuff for all ye political anoraks, even today it resonates.

So, two movies, one funny one serious, any other old movie hacks out there?

[video=youtube;qiR8p9P3CRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiR8p9P3CRc[/video]

[video=youtube;jrFvKMLDg0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrFvKMLDg0U[/video]

Last edited:

jmcc

The Frontpage (there's a 1970s remake too).

ger12

Ellen Ripley

Yes, Ger.

My Dad was a big fan of the Hollywood greats from the golden age of the '40's and 50's, and of the Westerns from that era. I grew up knowing all about the movie careers of Spencer Tracy, Bogart, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper, and the leading ladies of the day Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Olivia DeHavilland etc..
Many of the supporting actors from that time were fine character players--Charles Bickford, Joel McCrea, Randolph Scott, et al.

As a kid I enjoyed the old-style courtroom dramas most, I remember being particularly impressed by Witness for the Prosecution (Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power--the b'stard set her up!!) and 12 Angry Men (both 1950's)

Although a music lover, I was never too fond of Musical films --so not a fan of Doris, sorry.

I haven't watched any of them in a while, but if it had been a LC subject I could have got an A+ at the time..

Memories, memories.

ger12

Last edited:

between the bridges

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot...

alloverbartheshouting

The Great Escape, The Third Man, The Searchers, Gone with the Wind, The Maltese Falcon, Citizen Kane, Les Enfants du Paradis, The Lavender Hill Mob, Black Narcissus, Kind Hearts and Coronets...

Then there's the 60s/70s and thereabouts - Room at the Top, Easy Rider, Chinatown, Network, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Apocalypse Now...

Ellen Ripley

Anything with Edward G Robinson, really; a fine actor and an all-round good egg IRL too, apparently.
As with like Gene Hackman he never seemed to feature in a 'turkey', and stole any film he acted in, although he had a squashed-up face and was never a leading man)

Great in Double Indemnity, a film noir with Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

Catalpast

I have a stash of old movies, with leading actors from Doris Day, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, Jimmy Stewart to Henry Fonda.

The dialogue is still so sharp, the lessons still to be learnt. I really gotta make time to watch them.

A truly fine comedy is My Favourite Wife (1940), Irene Dunne and Cary Grant are super as he prepares to marry having lost his wife at sea years before, turns out she wasn't dead and returns, the court scene in the first half of the movie is still sharp and funny over 70 years later.

I dusted off another movie today I had been meaning to watch, The Best Man (1964), Henry Fonda is the leading candidate at a presidential convention, it's really good stuff for all ye political anoraks, even today it resonates.

Yes The Best Man was an excellent politico movie....

GDPR

Anything with Humphrey Bogart in it, never made a bad one.

Catalpast

Shed loads of movies on Youtube these days Folks

- esp Film Noir

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies