The old (new?) Debate Central

Just took a peek over at the old (new?) Debate Central.

Turns out I haven't posted there in a very long time.

Seems a lot of the good posters (Roisin, Sidewinder, Slabbering) have moved on.

But the usual crowd is still there (Harpo, Blair Mayne, Sevenmagpies).

In fact, Blair Mayne and Sevenmagpies are like a bad husband & wife comedy team there.

Time 7m made an honest woman of BM.

KeyserSoze1

Who were you on it?

Yeah, the place is a complete ********************hole now. A tedious, unfunny little ********************hole.

Sonny or Sonny1

As I recall, I was just plain Sonny or Sonny1.

And I have to agree with you, the place isn't as dynamic as it used to be.

Politics.ie = Toyota, DC = Hyndai

What has this got to do with the six counties?
Almost all of the debate on Debate Central by Roisin, Sidewinder, Slabbering, Harpo, Blair Mayne and Sevenmagpies was all about the six counties. In fact, as I recall, DC identification was as a six county debate board much like this one.

SamVimesBoots

Ah, DebCen, them were the days :lol:

Anyone remember those moments of BlairMayne comedy gold - "That's Amazing" and who could forget his "windows" theory of how the Planters civilised the native savages. Harpo's 317 sock puppets. 7M's endless soul-destroying obfuscation and pettifoggery. The sheer barking-mad lunacy of old Nevin.

It was an anarchic zoo, great craic at its height.

KeyserSoze1

Anyone remember those moments of BlairMayne comedy gold - "That's Amazing" and who could forget his "windows" theory of how the Planters civilised the native savages. Harpo's 317 sock puppets. 7M's endless soul-destroying obfuscation and pettifoggery. The sheer barking-mad lunacy of old Nevin.

'That's Amazing' ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So bad it was truly brilliant. I even have it saved on my com. Wanna see it again?

KeyserSoze1

Well don't say that you didn't ask for it...

blairmayne2
(Cyborg)
04/29/06 01:11 PM

That's Amazing

Hello and welcome to That's Amazing with me Cathal Hooper on TG4. I would just like to state right from the start that this programme is not sponsored by the Daily Ireland. We intended to bring this programme to you in Irish but we can't speak it and most of you would have been following the programme via the subtitles anyway.

On a packed show tonight we shall be hearing how the French copied the Irish Tricolour. Why the English are bastards and how the Irish helped save civilisation. We shall be discussing how the IRA helped to inspire the good people of the world into overthowing the yoke of evil Brit imperialism and how the Japanese army marched into Singapore singing 'The Boys of Kilmichael', in Irish of course. The Japanese army were of course great fellows. Just like our gallant allies in Germany.

Bob will be telling us how to identify legitimate targets and also explaining that the evil Brits sent Gusty Spence on a daring mission into the Malvern Arms in 1966 as a prelude to forming organisations which they used to murder innocent Catholics. He will also be explaining how the dumb Prods worked for the Brits and meekly went to prison at their bidding in order to keep it quiet.

We will be hearing from an eminent Texan historian.

Who will be explaining in great detail how the Irish soldiers who made up half of the British army were secretly plotting to destroy it, but never quite got around to doing it and instead helped them to conquer vast tracts of the world.

Our resident token Prod Mr Huge Anal will be pontificating on how the Labour party is not really in the ********************, as everything is Maggie Thatcher's fault. He will also be telling us how thick and useless his fellow Proddies are and how wonderful, cuddly and cultural Irish republicans are.

Mr Taggart from Tyrone will be telling us how ******************** Protestants are and also were you can get tickets to watch dogs mauling themselves to death.

We shall be hearing from a one hundred year old Cork Protestant, who will be telling us how the IRA used to come and guard his home every night in case bad men tried to hurt his family, and also how they took the family car but used to come back on a Sunday and give them a lift to Church.

The GOC of the illegal Free State Army will be explaining why marching isn't really relevant to the modern armed forces which is why they don't really bother with it anymore. And he'll be telling us all about his big tanks.

Stand by for more revelations on the Roger Casement saga as we interview some old dears who swear that he shagged the life out of them and we'll be hearing from the African man who befriended him as a boy. He'll be explaing that when Casement talked about a big hard black poker he was in fact talking about a mantlepiece instrument and not the African man's ****. In case there is any further doubt about Roger's sexuality we shall also be hearing from the evil Brit who forged his diaries so well that they continue to outwit modern technology.

Don't miss next weeks programme in which we shall be hearing how the Irish invented the wheel and where we shall be finding out if bats are really blind or are in fact just taking the piss.

Good ol' DebCen

All of them proof of the futility of persuasion as a strategy to unite Ireland but certainly fun to poke fun at.

SamVimesBoots

God help me, I actually went and tracked it down to have a look.

I see in the Alternate Reality that Eleanor, Harpo and Blair inhabit that I left DebCen because the Provos decommissioned. WTF??! As I recall I left when Julie's board blew up and just never bothered going back after the hiatus.

And they call me mad. 7M seems to be as joyless and depressing as ever too.

Would I go back? No. The joke was funny once, taking the piss out of howling backwoods rural Unionism, but I think the world has moved on since then.

KeyserSoze1

God help me, I actually went and tracked it down to have a look.

I see in the Alternate Reality that Eleanor, Harpo and Blair inhabit that I left DebCen because the Provos decommissioned. WTF??! As I recall I left when Julie's board blew up and just never bothered going back after the hiatus.

And they call me mad. 7M seems to be as joyless and depressing as ever too.

Would I go back? No. The joke was funny once, taking the piss out of howling backwoods rural Unionism, but I think the world has moved on since then.
Oh aye that's right, I forgot to tell you that there. And apparently Slab was a sectarian killer because his da's mate knew a Provo. Aye, had to put Blair Mayne and Harpo on ignore a few weeks ago or I would have died of tedium. As you say, funny once.

Slabbering & Sidewinder

Oh aye that's right, I forgot to tell you that there. And apparently Slab was a sectarian killer because his da's mate knew a Provo. Aye, had to put Blair Mayne and Harpo on ignore a few weeks ago or I would have died of tedium. As you say, funny once.
Anyone know what happened to Slabbering?

He was one of the few rational human beings on Debate Central.

I really enjoyed reading his postings there much like I enjoy reading Merle Haggard here.

If he doesn't know about this Politics.ie site then someone should tell him.

And it's long time to get Sidewinder back here too...he was also with the enlightenment.

KeyserSoze1

Anyone know what happened to Slabbering?

He was one of the few rational human beings on Debate Central.

I really enjoyed reading his postings there much like I enjoy reading Merle Haggard here.

If he doesn't know about this Politics.ie site then someone should tell him.

And it's long time to get Sidewinder back here too...he was also with the enlightenment.
Something tells me Sidey may already be back...

Aye Slab was a great poster. I don't know if he knows of this place, haven't seen hide nor hair of him about the net in a couple o' years it must be.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies