The one-stop Trump U-turn thread

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The thing about Trump's win is that he made some very big, clear promises, yet seems to be watering a number of them down already.

I was looking forward to the situation in which President Trump wouldn't be able to deliver many of the things that he promised because it wasn't practical to do so.

What I didn't expect was that he'd immediately climb down from some of his promises BEFORE he even takes office. He is choosing to do that even before he takes power. It isn't as if he is in power and has run into the practical road-blocks that prevent him from delivering his promises.

If he delivers none of the things that were contained in his very big, clear promises he is going to add to the sense of disillusionment about politics. Many of his supporters believed all the stuff that he said, and hoped that he'd be the man of principle that they were hoping for, as opposed to the normal establishment politicians. If he turns out to be just another flip-flopping politician once he takes over then the people who believed in him are going to be very upset. He will deserve every bit of the backlash that will come his way from those people.

There's going to be a lot of fun over the next 4 years.

So please post instances of Trump's U-turns on this thread to keep things tidy. There has been some discussion about his initial U-turns on various other threads, but I'm offering this one so that they are all in the one place.

wombat

If people talk sense to him and he listens, surely it will be to everyone's benefit?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
One of the first U-turns - relating to the promise to have Hillary Clinton locked up.

On other threads I've seen Trump defenders claim that Trump never promised anything of the sort. It's this sort of rabid denial that will be fun to watch for. Many conservative politicians and commentators in the US have even had a go at Trump already for his U-turn on this issue. In spite of that some Trump defenders on p.ie are defending him on the basis that the "lock her up" chants didn't actually mean "lock her up" but rather were some sort of a summary phrase about their views of the Clinton email issue. It's a stupid attempt at an argument, but then these people backed Trump for president and presumably will defend him all the way, no matter what he does.

Trump's 'jail Clinton' U-turn sparks conservative backlash - BBC News

An extract:

" Donald Trump supporters are lashing out at the president-elect for backing down from prosecuting Hillary Clinton over her use of a private email server.

His team said he would not keep his campaign pledge to try to have her jailed, and Mr Trump later said it would be too divisive to go ahead with.

The right-leaning legal organisation Judicial Watch said it was "a betrayal of his promise to the American people to 'drain the swamp' of out-of-control corruption in Washington"."

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
If people talk sense to him and he listens, surely it will be to everyone's benefit?

Yes indeed but that's not the issue.

The issue is that he made many bold promises, like getting Clinton locked up, and building that wall.

If he doesn't deliver on those promises then there is going to be a backlash against him from US conservatives. They were already p*ssed-off by establishment politicians. They will be even more pissed off if Trump fails to deliver the bold things that he promised. He'll show himself up as the same as the establishment politicians.

I don't recall him saying things like "I'll build a wall if it makes sense once I take office and have all the facts and figures at hand". He didn't include any qualifiers at all, like listening to sense.

Erudite Caveman

I'm of the opinion that most people who voted for Trump didn't want him to go as far as what he said he would on his campaign trail, but liked the fact that he offended the sh1te out of a lot of people who they feel are either desperate to be offended or deserving of being offended.

So, oddly enough, I don't expect a backlash against him from those who supported him for u-turns. It is possible that the biggest stroke of genius in his asymetrical campaign, was overpromising to an absurd degree - one where very few people actually thought he could or would do what he said.

Of course the loons will always be with us, but 60 something million of them didn't vote for him. They are as small a fringe as ever. For the rest, he just needs to shift the direction the country is taking away from navel gazing and wondering about who should use which bathroom, and make the average Joe feel like he is the focus of attention.

wombat

I don't recall him saying things like "I'll build a wall if it makes sense once I take office and have all the facts and figures at hand". He didn't include any qualifiers at all, like listening to sense.
It will be about the economy, if people feel their standard of living is rising, they won't worry about the goofier promises. Remember that Clinton got more votes and many Republicans didn't support Trump. The American President is deliberately restricted in what he can do, the original rebellion was to replace an autocratic king and they went to a lot of effort to make sure a president, no matter how popular could not act as one and Trump is not that popular.

between the bridges

Politician breaks election promise's, who'd thunk it...

Betson

One of the first U-turns - relating to the promise to have Hillary Clinton locked up.
I think he is getting an unfair rap on that one.

He said as president he is not interested in making it a priority or a personal crusade to lock her up , he never said he would stop or hinder any investigation into her , just that he is not going to looking for it.

And he is right , any president would be way out of order to interfere politically with the FBI etc in an investigation.

I think if he instructs the justice department (or his AG does) and state department to cooperate fully with the any FBI investigation into Clinton re foundation or emails , then I think that is the most he can do. Even the president should not have the power to jail someone without a proper investigation.

Prester Jim

Yes, true but what if he is surrounded by crazies like Flynn and and Bolton, will he be just as susceptible to their wonky arguments?
If he keeps the way he is going he will be less of a disaster of course.

Betson

I'm of the opinion that most people who voted for Trump didn't want him to go as far as what he said he would on his campaign trail, but liked the fact that he offended the sh1te out of a lot of people who they feel are either desperate to be offended or deserving of being offended.
I think there is bit of truth in that , one Trump voter interviewed the other night said he weighed up the two poor choices , and came to the conclusion that Trump was a bullsh1ter and that Clinton was out and out liar.

He said he went with the Bullsh!ter because you can easily see when he is bullsh!ting you but with Clinton you don't know when she is lying or not.

Wagmore

On other threads I've seen Trump defenders claim that Trump never promised anything of the sort. It's this sort of rabid denial that will be fun to watch for. Many conservative politicians and commentators in the US have even had a go at Trump already for his U-turn on this issue. In spite of that some Trump defenders on p.ie are defending him on the basis that the "lock her up" chants didn't actually mean "lock her up" but rather were some sort of a summary phrase about their views of the Clinton email issue. It's a stupid attempt at an argument, but then these people backed Trump for president and presumably will defend him all the way, no matter what he does.

Trump's 'jail Clinton' U-turn sparks conservative backlash - BBC News

An extract:

" Donald Trump supporters are lashing out at the president-elect for backing down from prosecuting Hillary Clinton over her use of a private email server.

His team said he would not keep his campaign pledge to try to have her jailed, and Mr Trump later said it would be too divisive to go ahead with.

The right-leaning legal organisation Judicial Watch said it was "a betrayal of his promise to the American people to 'drain the swamp' of out-of-control corruption in Washington"."
I think a lot of people misheard those "Lock her up" chants from Trump supporters. What they were really saying was "Lock her out" They were talking about the White House.It worked.😊

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

So, oddly enough, I don't expect a backlash against him from those who supported him for u-turns. It is possible that the biggest stroke of genius in his asymetrical campaign, was overpromising to an absurd degree - one where very few people actually thought he could or would do what he said.

Of course the loons will always be with us, but 60 something million of them didn't vote for him. They are as small a fringe as ever. For the rest, he just needs to shift the direction the country is taking away from navel gazing and wondering about who should use which bathroom, and make the average Joe feel like he is the focus of attention.

You may well be right there - lots of ordinary Trump supporters told the media that he didn't mean what he actually said via some of his sound-bite messages. I found that odd as they in their next breath would say that what they liked about Trump was that he meant what he said.

It all sounded makey-uppy to me. Many of his supporters must have rationalised in their own minds the diferences between what Trump actually said, versus what they think he meant. It's dangerous ground to be on. If lots of his supporters had their own ideas as to what he actually meant then I suppose everyone will have their own personal list of "things that he promised to do that I'm interested in". After that the amount of disappointment becomes personal, depending on what does/doesn't actually do in office.

The amount of backlash will depend on the amount of disappointment.

The hard right of course took his promises to be literal, so that's why they're already blowing off steam. That will continue if Trump goes more central with his policies while in office.

KEYHOLE KATE

He wouldn't prosecute Hillary after seeing the state of her when she collapsed at a 9/11 commemoration service. Now that he's President-Elect he will not concern himself with such mundane matters. The US Department of Justice might like to put an oar into the murky water. Hillary will probably sink without trace into the lap of luxury.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I think he is getting an unfair rap on that one.

He said as president he is not interested in making it a priority or a personal crusade to lock her up , he never said he would stop or hinder any investigation into her , just that he is not going to looking for it.

And he is right , any president would be way out of order to interfere politically with the FBI etc in an investigation.

I think if he instructs the justice department (or his AG does) and state department to cooperate fully with the any FBI investigation into Clinton re foundation or emails , then I think that is the most he can do. Even the president should not have the power to jail someone without a proper investigation.

He might have said that during his campaign though.

If it really wasn't that big a priority, why did he spend so much time talking about it?

Of course we know why he did it - a chance to bash Clinton - but the hard right took it as a serious high-priority issue.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Yes, true but what if he is surrounded by crazies like Flynn and and Bolton, will he be just as susceptible to their wonky arguments?
If he keeps the way he is going he will be less of a disaster of course.
A one-term less of a disaster though.

If the Dems come up with a decent candidate, how seriously are the people who voted for him because he promised bold action on a number of issues going to take him, if he fails to deliver? Do you think the hard right would back him again?

bonkers

It would be wrong for an election winner to institute proceedings against the loser. Let it go.
He said he was going to appoint a special investigator. Doubt very much the Trump knows the meaning of the word wrong.

darkhorse

Even the most sanctimonious of politicians can break their promises....

[video=youtube;yAS0c5AkiNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS0c5AkiNg[/video]

Catalpast

The thing about Trump's win is that he made some very big, clear promises, yet seems to be watering a number of them down already.

I was looking forward to the situation in which President Trump wouldn't be able to deliver many of the things that he promised because it wasn't practical to do so.

What I didn't expect was that he'd immediately climb down from some of his promises BEFORE he even takes office. He is choosing to do that even before he takes power. It isn't as if he is in power and has run into the practical road-blocks that prevent him from delivering his promises.

If he delivers none of the things that were contained in his very big, clear promises he is going to add to the sense of disillusionment about politics. Many of his supporters believed all the stuff that he said, and hoped that he'd be the man of principle that they were hoping for, as opposed to the normal establishment politicians. If he turns out to be just another flip-flopping politician once he takes over then the people who believed in him are going to be very upset. He will deserve every bit of the backlash that will come his way from those people.

There's going to be a lot of fun over the next 4 years.

So please post instances of Trump's U-turns on this thread to keep things tidy. There has been some discussion about his initial U-turns on various other threads, but I'm offering this one so that they are all in the one place.
As your the one making the claim

- then perhaps you should set out your stall here....

New Threads

Most Replies