The opposition should boycott all Dáil proceedings until a general election is called

MDaniel

The opposition should boycott all Dáil proceedings until a general election is called. This way we'll know they mean business. Maybe they are quite happy to let Fianna Fáil being in charge of the crisis and are afraid to be in government with no real power since the IMF and the EU are the real government

Tea Party Patriot

The opposition should boycott all Dáil proceedings until a general election is called. This way we'll know they mean business. Maybe they are quite happy to let Fianna Fáil being in charge of the crisis and are afraid to be in government with no real power since the IMF and the EU are the real government
What a stupid proposal that flies in the face of democracy. Our constitution provides for a 5 year term and for the opposition to boycott the Dáil based on opinion polls would be utterly disgraceful, I seriously doubt any of our TDs would countenance this.

As for the bye elections our separation of powers between parliament and judiciary has served us well as we saw in Donegal (didn’t like the result of the election but that is the peoples prerogative). If the government is undemocratic as regards the other bye elections then our courts have set a precedent.

DownTheyGo

I started a post on same issue and made some remark later on down, seems it was removed by p.ie! I surely encourage all opposition to no longer recognise the government in power for the people no longer accept them as their government of choice, democracy 101.

TommyO'Brien

Are you serious? :eek:

Hand over unchallenged control of everything to Cowen for three months and let him do whatever he wants without challenge or question as he used the FF and Green TDs to rubberstamp everything.

Are you stark raving mad?

Mushroom

Hand over unchallenged control of everything to Cowen for three months and let him do whatever he wants without challenge or question as he used the FF and Green TDs to rubberstamp everything.

Which is precisely what will happen irrespective of what the opposition does.

DownTheyGo

A vigil of 100,000 people outside the Dail. How can this be done.
A vigil staged with people coming together now will take on a life of it's own and cannot be ignored. The IMF/EU vis-a-vis FF aim to turn people of this country to a flock of sheep; FF the Shepherd. Good luck to them.

lying eyes

The goverment have the numbers - polls have no authority. On the other hand Mr>Cowen knows that he has no moral authority to manage this country - no matter what he says the vast number of the population DO NOT BELIEVE HIM or any of his front bench. Therefore untill there is a general election There will be no confidence to move ahead and get on with future developement.

MDaniel

What a stupid proposal that flies in the face of democracy. Our constitution provides for a 5 year term and for the opposition to boycott the Dáil based on opinion polls would be utterly disgraceful, I seriously doubt any of our TDs would countenance this.

As for the bye elections our separation of powers between parliament and judiciary has served us well as we saw in Donegal (didn’t like the result of the election but that is the peoples prerogative). If the government is undemocratic as regards the other bye elections then our courts have set a precedent.
In normal circumstances I would have agreed; however, in view of the fact that the government had to be brought to court to declare a by-election in DSW and that other by-elections are still pending, I would say that not declaring these by-elections is already a denial of democracy.
On top of that, surely, having a General Election, with 3 seats vacant, the Greens saying they want an election, would be the best of reinforcing the electorate trust in our democracy and Irish State.
I thought, mistakenly maybe, that these points should have been obvious, especially the denial of by-elections which undermine democracy and the legitimacy of the government.

MDaniel

Are you serious? :eek:

Are you stark raving mad?
You mean it would be different from the current situation:roll:. With all the world media here, this could have an enormous impact. The original boycott of Captain Boycott had a profound and lasting impact on our fate as a nation.

super pedestrian

If The opposition didn't show up in The Dáil, FF would happily carry on as normal. They might even get some of their own TD's to sit on the opposition benches and give speeches about what a wonderful job the Government is doing and how handsome Biffo is looking.
Opposition TD's should come in very early one day and sit on the Government benches and refuse to move. Probably won't amount to anything but I like seeing FF'rs wound up.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

You mean it would be different from the current situation:roll:. With all the world media here, this could have an enormous impact. The original boycott of Captain Boycott had a profound and lasting impact on our fate as a nation.
Tommy's a FGer. Don't expect him or his ilk to grow a pair any time soon. ;)

lying eyes

A vigil of 100,000 people outside the Dail. How can this be done.
I don't understand why they are not there and more. When this budget is more clear, there might be some hope, but against that I think the population are waiting for the General Election. It is their only chance to tell these people, listen to us.

DownTheyGo

I don't understand why they are not there and more. When this budget is more clear, there might be some hope, but against that I think the population are waiting for the General Election. It is their only chance to tell these people, listen to us.
The point is we want a general election called now, with a date in January - not March or April or anytime after that. Simples.. :evil:

MDaniel

Opposition TD's should come in very early one day and sit on the Government benches and refuse to move. Probably won't amount to anything but I like seeing FF'rs wound up.
That might be a better idea. Would the Gardaí be called, can they be called? What can be done legally? Would the Dáil cameras be switched off? If I remember, the Ceann Comhairle is the one that has the final authority on the cameras on or off.:shock2:

Tea Party Patriot

They might even get some of their own TD's to sit on the opposition benches and give speeches about what a wonderful job the Government is doing and how handsome Biffo is looking.
I can just imagine Oggy being glued to his television watching that :lol::lol::lol:

Mondo

Kenny and Gilmore should call a press conference for world media outside dail at noon today asking for the people of Ireland that want an election to gather and join them outside the Dail immediately.

100,000+ would gather within an hour or two and Cowen would be on his way to the park by dinnertime.

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies