The opposition should boycott all Dáil proceedings until a general election is called

turdsl

What a stupid proposal that flies in the face of democracy. Our constitution provides for a 5 year term and for the opposition to boycott the Dáil based on opinion polls would be utterly disgraceful, I seriously doubt any of our TDs would countenance this.

As for the bye elections our separation of powers between parliament and judiciary has served us well as we saw in Donegal (didn’t like the result of the election but that is the peoples prerogative). If the government is undemocratic as regards the other bye elections then our courts have set a precedent.
It would be silly to give Fianna Fail a free hand, they have insulted democracy, there would be no election in Donegal only Sinn Fein, It was a shame that the main parties sat on their backsides and did nothing, There is a precedent now thanks to Doherty and Sinn Fein. Now we hear today that the election may not be held until April.
God knows what will happen by then, they may even survive to the summer recess.

westie12

God knows what will happen by then, they may even survive to the summer recess.
With the brass neck these FFers have, it would not surprise me if they tried to last a full term to 2012 if they get the budget provisions voted through in the new year :mad:

YouOkNow

I must say the way they have been performing over the last 10 years as they watched FF make a mess of the country you would think they have been bycotting the Dail all that time.

hiding behind a poster

That might be a better idea. Would the Gardaí be called, can they be called? What can be done legally? Would the Dáil cameras be switched off? If I remember, the Ceann Comhairle is the one that has the final authority on the cameras on or off.:shock2:
I presume the CC would suspend the House. Even if he didn't, all you'd need is for the Government to sit on the Opposition benches but immediately have the House vote on moving the Opposition back to where they should be. It has to be in Standing Orders somewhere.
And of course they'd win that vote, which brings us back to the nub of all this - THE GOVERNMENT HAVE THE VOTES IN THE HOUSE.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies