The orange order is not a religion.

McSlaggart

We all know that the orange order is sectarian. One of its criteria for joining is that you must be a protestant. The order does hold prayers and religious symbols. This does not make an orange hall any more a place of worship that a school.

The order does receive a considerable amount of public funding to keep up its buildings. Currently the order has not been addressing the issue of closing halls and concentrating on making the most out of public funding by spending the money upgrading its building to modern multipurpose standards. (Traditionally orange halls provided a wide range of services to the wider community such as having dances etc.)

I think its time that we stopped treating the orange order as some sort of special religious organisation. The order need to start addressing its current waste of public funds and plan how it can address outstanding issues before getting more public funds.

Hillmanhunter1

We all know that the orange order is sectarian. One of its criteria for joining is that you must be a protestant. The order does hold prayers and religious symbols. This does not make an orange hall any more a place of worship that a school.

The order does receive a considerable amount of public funding to keep up its buildings. Currently the order has not been addressing the issue of closing halls and concentrating on making the most out of public funding by spending the money upgrading its building to modern multipurpose standards. (Traditionally orange halls provided a wide range of services to the wider community such as having dances etc.)

I think its time that we stopped treating the orange order as some sort of special religious organisation. The order need to start addressing its current waste of public funds and plan how it can address outstanding issues before getting more public funds.
Who has been treating it thus?

Sync

Who has been treating it thus?
SHUT UP!

In other news: The Orange Order is NOT a Snickers chocolate bar flavour and must stopped being treated as such.

Northsideman

SHUT UP!

In other news: The Orange Order is NOT a Snickers chocolate bar flavour and must stopped being treated as such.
Indeed, it's more akin to a Chocolate Orange.

Hillmanhunter1

SHUT UP!

Not sure what the purpose of this post was - have another coffee and try again!

Sync

Mostly undermining the dumb strawman premise of the thread. And reminding myself how much I love peppermint Frys.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You have to really search for them now, Fry's peppermint chocolate bars. Fairly nerve-wracking stuff wondering will they be quietly dropped as a product some time soon.

My local shop does them thankfully or it would mean a specific shopping mission to locate them bicycularly.

rainmaker

Administrator
Donald Trump’s Skin Colour / Tone is not a Religion Either.
Using the worlds most orange man on a thread about the orange order is the most unintentionally funny thing I have seen posted in a while.

blinding

Using the worlds most orange man on a thread about the orange order is the most unintentionally funny thing I have seen posted in a while.
And who said it was Un-intentionally funny !

Donald must surely be favourite for Orange man of the year every year.

EnglishObserver

I'd have thought Republicans would propose more public money for The Orange Order in an attempt to smooth Irish Unity.

But then Republicans aren't the sharpest tools in the box...

Sync

You have to really search for them now, Fry's peppermint chocolate bars. Fairly nerve-wracking stuff wondering will they be quietly dropped as a product some time soon.

My local shop does them thankfully or it would mean a specific shopping mission to locate them bicycularly.
It’s a cause of concern. Dark chocolate and solid peppermint is the perfect bar for me. We’ll always have after eights but Fry’s retiring the peppermint bar would be a huge red flag on the future of humanity, similar to all the bees disappearing.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wasn't even aware of the peppermint green version. I was just always with the original. I saw the peppermint version today and it was discounted for bulk when I was panic-buying the blue wrappered boys.

This looks bad. I'm adding this to general concerns around Brexit.

Glenshane4

I'd have thought Republicans would propose more public money for The Orange Order in an attempt to smooth Irish Unity.
Please stop trying to be clever. How much does the State pay the Orange Order each year? Does the State pay anything?

McTell

Twitter
No
OP

//

Nail on the head, but they could try another way, looking for grants on the basis of cultural whatever, "select" social club, or listed buildings.

I'm all in favour of cash for cultural and social choices being raised by the bodies concerned, and not put on the public teat.

If my kids choose to play with a PS4, that is undeniably a part of irish culture for thousands in the 2020s. Our choice, and I don't expect anyone else to pay for it.

McSlaggart

That information surprises me. Are you sure that your information is correct?
In fact due to the crisis in numbers, lodges are reluctant to embark on suspending anyone. One of the worst cases was a member of our lodge being missing for four years and paying zero during this time but the lodge still had to pay four years of levies. Due to meetings being rather dull, the Orange can be a difficult sell to a new member and it’s no surprise when many don’t return until the Twelfth day if at at all. Some directive may be sent to the lodges from the leadership (usually from county level), but it’s not uncommon for these to arrive too late or not at all.

The order membership is in steep decline yet it still wishes to hold on to its halls. The order need to close a large number of its halls and restructure its orginisation.

McSlaggart

Sounds like meetings of the GAA club of which I was a member.

The orange order has a crazy amount of orange halls. Most of which are in a poor state of repair and are not used. the order need to close a lot of its halls and make the ones left used for a wider range of activities.

Popular Threads

Most Replies