The other IRA: the Internet Research Agency, a.k.a. "the Trolls from Olgino"

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Activate conspiracy theory klaxons!

There is a wikipedia entry for this operation: it is a compilation of references from other sources (some of them even reputable).

Only now are we learning the "true" nature of "Jenna Abrams" (@Jenn_Abrams) and "Pamela Moore". Both were personae invented by Russia to muddy opinion — but of course pro-Trump — in the 2016 Election. Meanwhile, curiosity and investigation is happening over the mucky-money link between Arron Banks and Leave.UK — all £8.4 million of it. Closer to home is £435,000 channelled through the DUP.

I have no "bottom line" here, except some thoughts:
  • If there was a Russian connection (and greater minds than mine seem convinced) in the #Brexit business, Ireland would be "collateral damage", and we've had strange IrExit contributions on this site.
  • If there really are hundreds of Russians employed in St Petersburg, with their spam-bots across the globe, in their spare moments they may have found time for our little corner of the Web and its contacts in the Diaspora.
  • As the "big" social media sites tighten their resistance to the "@Jenn_Abrams" of this demimonde, either the St Petersburg false-news factory goes out of business, or it deploys to "softer" targets. I'd guess politics.ie has enough coverage to be a tempting target. After all, the Nazi Irland-Redaktion recruited Francis Stuart, Madeleine Meissner (Stuart's inamorata, with UCG background), and Clareman John O'Reilly — and totalitarian régimes tend to imitate each other.
  • I notice certain posters on p.ie tend to operate "office hours" — the Internet Research Agency rota has been shown as twelve-hour shifts, every second day. Not to forget the sock-puppetry that has been endemic.
  • Am I entitled to be suspicious about the postings of certain contributors here?
As John Junor would have said, "I don't know, but I think we should be told"

eoghanacht

So GCHQ, their American counterpart, Isreal and just about any country that chooses too have these apparatus.

Tell me why I should be more irate about the annexation of Crimea but we should just accept that the Iraq war was a blip, let's all move on.

Tell me why it's acceptable for the UK and the US to interfere with and in some cases overthrew democratically elected governments across the world but when other countries follow the same path that's different?

former wesleyan

So GCHQ, their American counterpart, Isreal and just about any country that chooses too have these apparatus.

Tell me why I should be more irate about the annexation of Crimea but we should just accept that the Iraq war was a blip, let's all move on.

Tell me why it's acceptable for the UK and the US to interfere with and in some cases overthrew democratically elected governments across the world but when other countries follow the same path that's different?
Are you implying that Iraq and Syria are examples of " democratically elected governments " ?

derryman

That pretty much it.
If the good people are interfering in the bad people's democracy all is just dandy. Now all I have to do is work out who is good and who is bad.

eoghanacht

eoghanacht

That pretty much it.
If the good people are interfering in the bad people's democracy all is just dandy. Now all I have to do is work out who is good and who is bad.
Doh, we here in the anglosphere are good Russian baaaaad.

That's the gist of it I think.

statsman

Doh, we here in the anglosphere are good Russian baaaaad.

That's the gist of it I think.
Relatively speaking, that's not all that far off the mark, although I'd have said we're bad but Putin is infinitely worse.

Last edited:

eoghanacht

Relatively speaking, that's not all that far off the mark,, although I'd have said we're bad but Putin is infinitely worse.
Absolutely he's nowt more than a ex KGB colonel cum gangster.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow

That's dogs-and-cats, apples-and-oranges false analogy.

The issues you conflate there (Crimea, Iraq) were fully debated and publicly contested. Being irate goes with the territory.

My point about the Russian "Internet Research Agency" comes down to the wilful manipulation of social media, and thereby of innocent public opinion, with the intention of subverting Western democratic governments (including, possibly, our own). A better parallel might be how western opinion was manipulated by CIA-backed media in the Cold War era.

Prof Honeydew

There is a wikipedia entry for this operation: it is a compilation of references from other sources (some of them even reputable).

Only now are we learning the "true" nature of "Jenna Abrams" (@Jenn_Abrams) and "Pamela Moore". Both were personae invented by Russia to muddy opinion — but of course pro-Trump — in the 2016 Election. Meanwhile, curiosity and investigation is happening over the mucky-money link between Arron Banks and Leave.UK — all £8.4 million of it. Closer to home is £435,000 channelled through the DUP.

• If there was a Russian connection (and greater minds than mine seem convinced) in the #Brexit business, Ireland would be "collateral damage", and we've had strange IrExit contributions on this site.
  • If there really are hundreds of Russians employed in St Petersburg, with their spam-bots across the globe, in their spare moments they may have found time for our little corner of the Web and its contacts in the Diaspora.
  • As the "big" social media sites tighten their resistance to the "@Jenn_Abrams" of this demimonde, either the St Petersburg false-news factory goes out of business, or it deploys to "softer" targets. I'd guess politics.ie has enough coverage to be a tempting target. After all, the Nazi Irland-Redaktion recruited Francis Stuart, Madeleine Meissner (Stuart's inamorata, with UCG background), and Clareman John O'Reilly — and totalitarian régimes tend to imitate each other.
  • I notice certain posters on p.ie tend to operate "office hours" — the Internet Research Agency rota has been shown as twelve-hour shifts, every second day. Not to forget the sock-puppetry that has been endemic.
  • Am I entitled to be suspicious about the postings of certain contributors here?
I have noticed a certain poster on P.ie is inordinately fond of vodka and resorts to bear hugs when launching inordinately long toasts.
Another poster has a Lada secretly hidden in his garage.
A third was spotted leaping exultantly into the air in a Liverpool pub when Spartak Moscow scored against Man United.
A fourth was covertly videoed ordering STURGEON and chips at his local takeaway.

Something fishy going on on P.ie? We need to be told.

rainmaker

Administrator

You're probably reading to much into this, you could probably do with some R and R.

between the bridges

Bredkakoyto...

Franzoni

IF there are Russian hacks operating on here then i would suggest Putin ask for his money back as they are operating at a level below the Fony Gael ones and trust me on the sunscreen that's pretty shít as it is... even with Leo's five million investment.........:D

Banjo Baker

Absolutely he's nowt more than a ex KGB colonel cum gangster.
I used to find it hilarious when himself and Obama had to meet each other.

Such a contrast.

One an effeminate, stringbean goofball.

The other a stone cold brute. A pure Alpha male.

The look of disdain that Putin would give him.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Things become much more manageable when you realise that everyone is fighting a cyberwar over something.

Chinese, Russians and Americans are definitely all at it and have been for years both domestically and abroad.

Part of the COINPRO strategic imperative. From there it devolves down to the usual suspects- definitely Israel, highly likely to be a less sophisticated effort from the Arab side of that chaos.

And down to domestic influencing by way of false flag operations, fake news plants and so on.

Once you accept that and adjust your filter on reading the news from both sides of any piece of human interaction you will probably be closer to any truth.

However I doubt Ireland's population, neutrality, or levels of influence at UN, EU or anywhere else would make us much of a target for the international level stuff except for some home grown and probably university based campaign groups.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies