• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The painfully unfunny Brendan O'Carroll

pluralist

At this time of year, as per usual, billboards round Dublin city are covered in posters for Brendan O'Carroll latest stage show.

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of this guy's act? From the brief excerpts I have seen over the years on the Late Late, it seems to consist of Brendan dressing up as a middle aged woman and mouthing inanities like 'me b.ollix' basically at random.

Crass vulgarity, faintly misogynistic in a way that's hard to put one's finger on, and above all just not very funny.

I can understand the attraction of vulgarity taken to the limit, like say Roy Chubby Brown or Andrew Dice Clay, but to me O'Carroll's act doesn't even pass that test.

Libero

pluralist said:
At this time of year, as per usual, billboards round Dublin city are covered in posters for Brendan O'Carroll latest stage show.

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of this guy's act? From the brief excerpts I have seen over the years on the Late Late, it seems to consist of Brendan dressing up as a middle aged woman and mouthing inanities like 'me b.ollix' basically at random.

Crass vulgarity, faintly misogynistic in a way that's hard to put one's finger on, and above all just not very funny.

I can understand the attraction of vulgarity taken to the limit, like say Roy Chubby Brown or Andrew Dice Clay, but to me O'Carroll's act doesn't even pass that test.
To add a political edge... http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=14288

Mrs Brown? :|

meriwether

He's not funny, not one little bit.

Other unfunny examples include PJ Gallagher, his show in general, and Kilnascully.
Ed Byrne is not funny, nor is the blond woman on the Panel (married to Ray Darcy, I think).

I will bet that we will see at least 5 of the six unfunny examples on our screens courtesy of RTE over the holidays.

Other examples of shitness we can probably look forward to is something to do with Boyzone, Westlife (or both), Your-a-star, Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy (he has a DVD out, we get to see the Frenchman/Gay Byrne sketch again, for the 800th time), something to do with Hugh Grant, and some celebrity jigs and reels.

Punishment.

Roy Chubby Brown is the worst by a long shot, but you are right about how unfunny Brendan O' Connor is. I myself, dislike June Rogers immensely!

kerrynorth

The guy was funny in the late 80's early 90's when he first came on the scene. However, for the last decade he has been distinctly unfunny. He is just a bad caricature. Dublin taxi drivers are about the only one's who would buy his latest DVD.

clareman51

Some of Ed Byrne's early stand-up was funny. But not now. I agree with you as regards all the other names.

Eirenua

meriwether said:

Other unfunny examples include PJ Gallagher, his show in general, and Kilnascully.
Kilnascully is hilarious, O'Carroll is just pure smut

NotDevsSon

I was thinking the very same thing last night - how utterly crap Brendan O'Carroll and his "Mrs Brown" series is. I had the misfortune to see about 10 minutes of one of his DVDs. God but it was pathetic.

kerrynorth

The traditional Grafton St Radio 1 Christmas Eve show this morning with Joe Duffy was like a ghosts of Christmas past convention: Brendan O'Carroll, Twink, June Rogers and f@cking Red Hurley - did they dig him up for Christmas?

meriwether

Eirenua said:
meriwether said:

No its not, its rubbish. Its actually rubbish, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Whoever added June Rodgers- good spot. Also sh1t.

Pidge and Rodge are also crap, they used to be good. Get them off the screen, an entire show doesn't work.

Libero

meriwether said:
I will bet that we will see at least 5 of the six unfunny examples on our screens courtesy of RTE over the holidays.
Jake Stevens is the new Ms Brown. Although the last laugh is with PJ
Gallagher as his DVD walks out of the shops.

WARNING! THESE MEN ARE NOT FUNNY (or innovative or daring):

Two blokes pretending to kiss on O'Connell Street. How MAD is that, eh?

pluralist

meriwether said:
Pidge and Rodge are also crap, they used to be good. Get them off the screen, an entire show doesn't work.
That's very harsh, I heard Pidge does a great John Gormley impression.

meriwether

meriwether said:
Eirenua said:
meriwether said:

No its not, its rubbish. Its actually rubbish, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

EDIT: I mean to say PODGE and Rodge, not 'Pidge'.
Pidge, and it goes without saying, is considerably funnier than RTE's comedy department put together.

kerrynorth

meriwether said:
Eirenua said:
meriwether said:

I agree with you on both counts Meri. Kilnaskuly is just cliched claptrap and Podge and Rodge has just turned into a celebfest. It's a pity as it was brillant at the start.

Twin Towers

Dylan Moran, humourous I suppose. Not since Dave Allen has there been anybody Irish that is actually funny.

meriwether

Libero said:
meriwether said:
Once Rodge finds out how many of the Bebo girls Pidge actually knows, he'll be game ball for that...
Chicks dig Greenies.
Its that sense of well being they get as they offer themselves to you.
We could go to the cinema, and eject carbon,or we could stay in, take all our clothes off and save the world.........

*hunts up application form for the greens......*

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
meriwether said:

PJ Gallagher is possibly not funny on stage.. but Jake Stephens and the taxi driver have given me some of the best laughs I've had for years

Jake moving house.. absolute classic

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEdb5LwY4E

Ed Byrne is not funny, nor is the blond woman on the Panel (married to Ray Darcy, I think).
That's Mairead Farrell, not Ray's wife, who's called Jenny. She's not funny.. but very good looking

Ed Byrne just isn't funny

In fairness, sometimes the Panel does come up with good stuff.. the comment a few weeks ago "Black Santa, meet Black Eddie Hobbs" was a classic line

Other examples of shitness we can probably look forward to is something to do with Boyzone, Westlife (or both),
Westlife special, next Friday night on the Late Late

Your-a-star, Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy (he has a DVD out, we get to see the Frenchman/Gay Byrne sketch again, for the 800th time), something to do with Hugh Grant, and some celebrity jigs and reels.
Hugh Grant in Love Actually was on last night

Punishment.
Excuse for mental alcoholism over the holiday season.. be optomistic

meriwether

Twin Towers said:
Dylan Moran, humourous I suppose. Not since Dave Allen has there been anybody Irish that is actually funny.
Ardal O'Hanlon's quite sh1t aswell actually. His stand up is nonsense. He does that Fr. Dougal persona very well, because he's not actually acting.

Tommy Tiernan is good at times, but some of his bad stuff is bad.
Daire O'Brian is good at times.