The Parole Board's consideration of murderers' applications.

davidcameron

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/if-my-sisters-killer-is-released-ill-have-to-look-over-my-shoulder-man-who-murdered-wife-and-child-due-for-release-36558902.html

The sister of a woman murdered by swimming coach Frank McCann fears that she will "have to look over her shoulder for the rest of her life" if he is released.

McCann killed his wife Esther and their 18-month-old daughter Jessica when he deliberately set their Rathfarnham family home ablaze in September 1992.

He has been in prison for more than 20 years but is edging closer and closer to being released. McCann is lined up for computer courses as part of that process.

Esther's sister, Marian Leonard, has criticised any plan to release McCann, saying her safety and that of her family could be at risk.

"I don't accept that I should have to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life. I think the Parole Board are looking on him as a bed-blocker and they just want to release him to free up space," she said.
Murderers constitute a small minority in the prison population. So why would the Board think that creating more space in prison would necessitate a recommendation in favour of McCann being granted parole? After all, people who don't pay fines are released from prison after only a few hours in custody.

galteeman

It seems absurd that such an evil man is being considered for release.

Catalpast

He should do Life with No Parole IMO

- it really is hard to see any mitigating circumstances here....

devoutcapitalist

McCann has spent 25 years in jail from the time he was charged with the double murders in 1993 and then convicted in 1996.

Saying that he should never be released, has he even acknowledged his guilt to the Parole Board?

Dame_Enda

Life should mean life.

Congalltee

We could leave it to the experts, instead of the tabloids, social media, and p.ie...

Vega1447

We could leave it to the experts, instead of the tabloids, social media, and p.ie...
That has worked well with the Financial Regulator, management of AGS etc.

Lúidín

The more humane option would be execution. It is less cruel, much cheaper and completely removes those who have forfeited their membership of human society.

Unfortunately we must wait until the prisons are so full that the State can no longer afford to keep convicted prisoners locked up before we can have this debate and, anyway, as we are no longer sovereign, it would be futile.

devoutcapitalist

The more humane option would be execution. It is less cruel, much cheaper and completely removes those who have forfeited their membership of human society.

Unfortunately we must wait until the prisons are so full that the State can no longer afford to keep convicted prisoners locked up before we can have this debate and, anyway, as we are no longer sovereign, it would be futile.
I support the death penalty for some murderers, one has to be realistic that It will never be reinstated in Ireland for a number of reasons.

Recently there was a woman called Jacqui Noble who was released after serving just under 14 years for hiring someone to murder her ex-partner.

sadmal

Who would you consider to be the experts, the Parole Board?
It should be public knowledge who the members of the Prole Board are and how they are appointed and what is their speciality.

I also think families should be consulted when a convicted murderer is being considered for parole and the family should be allowed address the board and give their reasons why parole should not be granted.

It was only the efforts of the Tate family that kept Charles Manson's 'family' in jail for life in the US.

The_SR

It should be public knowledge who the members of the Prole Board are and how they are appointed and what is their speciality.

I also think families should be consulted when a convicted murderer is being considered for parole and the family should be allowed address the board and give their reasons why parole should not be granted.

It was only the efforts of the Tate family that kept Charles Manson's 'family' in jail for life in the US.
But the family will always say keep him inside. The reality is he is leaving prison a couple of afternoons a week to do courses and despite the horrific crimes he committed, he has been a model prisoner whose sentence is almost up. There is no evidence he will go after the remaining family. We either rehabilitate prisoners or we don't.

sadmal

I just feel that the Parole board never get to hear about the victim or in this case victims.

Everything they see and hear is from the prisoner's point of view and in his favour, if they had to hear from family of the victim it might gave them a more rounded picture.

Eventually most murderers will be released but I think it should be only when the are elderly or in poor health.

The_SR

I just feel that the Parole board never get to hear about the victim or in this case victims.

Everything they see and hear is from the prisoner's point of view and in his favour, if they had to hear from family of the victim it might gave them a more rounded picture.

Eventually most murderers will be released but I think it should be only when the are elderly or in poor health.
That's what the trial is for.

This seems to be a hard case as the chap has never admitted what he did, but doing a PhD behind bars does point to him rehabilitating himself.

You are arguing for longer sentences. That's fine, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the topic in hand

'orebel

Clanrickard

ProsandCons

Supportive of capital punishment for premeditation, but not a chance in this Country - premeditated killers of Gardaí, wives, husbands and children walking the streets in no short time (and I quantify 15-20-25 years as no short time). And if you don't like your level of accommodation you can sue the State....

25 years this month since Thompson and Venables killed young Jamie Bulger in the most horrific way "I kept hitting him with a brick in the face but he kept getting back up...."

Venables sentenced AGAIN today for 3yrs for possessing images and having a "paedophile manual" (more or less the same charges as in 2010) – evil at 10 years old and evil at 35 years old.

The world is overcrowded as it is – hook all these filth up to machines, harvest the useable organs and turn the machines off……

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies