The Past is Another Country: RTE Archives from 1985 now to be available online

Catalpast

The Past is Another Country: RTE Archives from 1985 now to be available online ...

This is great news as it will allow younger people - and old codgers like me - to see live reports from yesteryear that retain the freshness of the Times that were in it

RTÉ News reports recorded on videotape between 1985 and 1999 have been digitised for long term preservation with the support of the BAI Archiving Scheme.
The News Collection is being made available to view online beginning with stories from 1985 and new content being added on a regular basis.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/collect-item-0/@147.86000061035156/07-03-1985/

''The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"

- or is it a case of

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose''...

eoghanacht

An god bless us and save us those were the days when you could walk the length and breadth of Dublin City and not see one black face, isn't that right Mr Brennan?

Socratus O' Pericles

The war on drugs has been a resounding success.

Accidental sock

Wasn't a fan of the 1980s when I watched them live.

Why would I want the recording of the gig.

silverharp

is the TV doc series Radhairc available to view on line? One episode stuck in my head, it was on RTE a few years back, it was 50's or early 60's and they were interviewing down and outs in Dublin, it was fascinating, would love to watch it again.

Socratus O' Pericles

is the TV doc series Radhairc available to view on line? One episode stuck in my head, it was on RTE a few years back, it was 50's or early 60's and they were interviewing down and outs in Dublin, it was fascinating, would love to watch it again.
This is probably it:

[video]http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/355629-down-and-out-in-dublin/[/video]

silverharp

This is probably it:

[video]http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/355629-down-and-out-in-dublin/[/video]
cheers, Ill look at that later, I just remember the men being interviewed had a lot of dignity despite their circumstances

Aindriu

An god bless us and save us those were the days when you could walk the length and breadth of Dublin City and not see one black face, isn't that right Mr Brennan?
Unless Philo was back in town :lol:

eoghanacht

constitutionus

:D

as an aside, i thought the coverage of this on morning ireland this morning was a bit bizarre.

one of the girls declared the 80s were "male". whatever the fup THAT meant.

:D :D :D D

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Anyone would think Pepsi and Shirley had never existed. Tch.

ellie08

Came across this clip from that programme on Youtube, take note of the music at the start - Hilarious!

[video=youtube;vZNEloGC1oI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNEloGC1oI[/video]

fat finger

They're doing something similar in the States right now, putting (most of) the JFK files online, it's all meant to be a big distraction of course, a big smokescreen at the very time when everyone needs to be focusing hard on the present, on what's happening right now, so of course when things settle down in a couple of years, or later when you're retired take a look at the online archives, but right now for your own good and the good of your family and it's not exaggerating to say your life and future depends on this, leave history behind for the moment and watch what's really going on in the present time like a hawk, watch everything like a hawk, see the dots and start joining them up, things are going to start moving very fast, very very fast sooner than people realise, get your proper night's sleep but for God's sake remain alert 24 hours a day, this is not a rehearsal, this is the real deal and most people are not going to get through it well at all, I'm sorry to say it, this is the best warning you're going to get, get ready, get your family ready, keep calm and alert, carry on with normal life but just remember everthing can change in an instant. Good luck

Catalpast

They're doing something similar in the States right now, putting (most of) the JFK files online, it's all meant to be a big distraction of course, a big smokescreen at the very time when everyone needs to be focusing hard on the present, on what's happening right now, so of course when things settle down in a couple of years, or later when you're retired take a look at the online archives, but right now for your own good and the good of your family and it's not exaggerating to say your life and future depends on this, leave history behind for the moment and watch what's really going on in the present time like a hawk, watch everything like a hawk, see the dots and start joining them up, things are going to start moving very fast, very very fast sooner than people realise, get your proper night's sleep but for God's sake remain alert 24 hours a day, this is not a rehearsal, this is the real deal and most people are not going to get through it well at all, I'm sorry to say it, this is the best warning you're going to get, get ready, get your family ready, keep calm and alert, carry on with normal life but just remember everthing can change in an instant. Good luck
OMG!:shock2:

The Field Marshal

More sentimental media navel gazing.

What is TV but a postman with a camera.

I see them like vultures around a carcass on Dublins streets .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies