The People Have Spoken: "We want Change AND We want the EU". Time To Move On.

owedtojoy

If a Euopean election was held tomorrow, the Parliament would be dominated by the Centre-Right European People's Party, which includes the German CDU and one Irish Government party, Fine Gael. [Edit]: Fianna Fail is in the RenewEuope Group, in Yellow.

The surge to the right that happened after the 2016 Refugee Crisis has diminished, but those parties would hold their ground in new elections.

Eurobarometer_EU_Poll_Jul20.png

The major parties losing support have been the Greens and Centre-Left.

Last edited:

Lord Talbot

Why are FFail in the "Liberal" bloc. One of the most socially conservative parties in Europe.

Total nonsense.

shiel

If a Euopean election was held tomorrow, the Parliament would be dominated by the Centre-Right European People's Party, which includes the German CDU and the two main Irish Government parties, Fine Gael and Fianna Fail.

The surge to the right that happened after the 2016 Refugee Crisis has diminished, but those parties would hold their ground in new elections.

View attachment 26078
The major parties losing support have been the Greens and Centre-Left.

I thought FG and FF were in different groups.

owedtojoy

I thought FG and FF were in different groups.
Why are FFail in the "Liberal" bloc. One of the most socially conservative parties in Europe.

Total nonsense.
Error on my part. A sloppy assumption. The post has been edited.

Fianna Fail are in the RenewEurope Group, considered Liberal-Centrist. It is the 3rd largest in the European Parliament.

Irish parties have never been highly ideological, but always broadly "populist" i.e. responding to popular concerns rather then driving a right or left agenda. Parties have been largely defined by their origins, including Sinn Fein, and that accounts for the lack of a clear right-left divide in Irish politics.

The major ideological divide in Irish politics has always been "the national question".

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom