• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Pere Charles trawler.

Coles

"The wreck of the trawler Pere Charles has been raised to the surface around 1km off the Waterford coast.

Salvage contractors successfully raised the wreck of the sunken vessel this afternoon.

Coastguard officials say it appears the boat was badly damaged when it sank."

-RTE

The Pere Charles sank in January off Hook Head with the loss of five lives. The weather was extremely rough, and the boat sank so quickly that the crew were unable to send a mayday request. It sank in 35 metres of water.

But how come it was so badly damaged? In 35 metres of water I imagine it would not be affected by currents, tides, waves etc, so the damage must have occurred before it sank. But if it was receiving storm damage, then how come there was no mayday alert? Very strange...
:?

Deep Throat

i agree. it would seem there's more to it than meets the eye. Very unusual damage patterns to the boat.

qtman

Coles said:
"The wreck of the trawler Pere Charles has been raised to the surface around 1km off the Waterford coast.

Salvage contractors successfully raised the wreck of the sunken vessel this afternoon.

Coastguard officials say it appears the boat was badly damaged when it sank."

-RTE

The Pere Charles sank in January off Hook Head with the loss of five lives. The weather was extremely rough, and the boat sank so quickly that the crew were unable to send a mayday request. It sank in 35 metres of water.

But how come it was so badly damaged? In 35 metres of water I imagine it would not be affected by currents, tides, waves etc, so the damage must have occurred before it sank. But if it was receiving storm damage, then how come there was no mayday alert? Very strange...
:?
An explosion? A fire?

Coles

I'm inclined to agree, qtman, but there are just so many strange things about it...

qtman

Coles said:

I'm inclined to agree, qtman, but there are just so many strange things about it...
You appear to have a theory?

Coles

No... not really... It's strange that so much of the boat is missing. Trawlers are diesel powered. Diesel is not particularly explosive unless it's pressurised and heated, but even then I don't think it would blow off the side of a trawler, the wheel house, the antenna mast, etc... One of the first bits of salvage found was a gas cylinder, which I think is a bit odd. During a storm, a heavy object such as a gas cylinder is going to be properly stowed away... it's not going to come loose. If there was a fire on board, perhaps the crew threw the cylinder overboard, but then they would also have had time to send out a mayday alert (which they didn't), and anyway, fire damage would not be so extensive...

Wolverine

Could have just turned over and crashed onto the seafloor hard. It was upside down after all.

Podolski

Yes, it was during a severe storm and it's possible that it the boat collided heavily with rocks on the sea floor. From what I remember the skipper had spoken to another trawler with which they were working and said he was having difficulty although he didn't issue a Mayday message. Had it been collision with another ship doing the damage that's now visible the wheelhouse would have been destroyed and he wouldn't have been able to talk to the other boat.

Trasna-na-dTonnta

As for the currents, down be hook they are very strong, even by the coast. the irish coast guard wouldnt even send in divers there for years. The man who finally set up a diving group to help shipwrecks died last year investigating a previous shipwreck (I forget hte name but it happened in 2005 the families were from wexford and the man fro new ross) But he was o his way up one second and disappeared the next. Dangerous waters.

Aindriu

Mushroom

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies