• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The perfect gambling storm

Northtipp

I was listening to the John Murray show this morning and heard part of a piece on gambling. It was encouraged by the start of Cheltenham. Essentially it was referring to the major issues which now exist as a result of gambling and getting the brunt of the negative press was on line betting. It covered online betting on horses, spread betting, gambling on new pope, online bingo, online poker etc etc.

Essentially what I heard was a description of the perfect storm in many ways. With improved communications through television and the Internet we have the perfect ability of gamblers to bet on almost anything at any time of the day and in a variety of ways. The enticement also seems endless and very well crafted and packaged by the gambling industry.

One chap interviewed described how he and 9 friends sat in a pub on Sunday watching the Eng V Italy rugby game. They supported neither team but 9 of them were constantly using the apps on their phones to bet on a variety of issues relating to the game. It seems social habits are changed by his also.

It does seem the new betting waves of apps and spread betting is rather dangerous if you have an addictive personality. No longer is the image of Blacked out window betting shops any detriment to betting particularly at under age. They now use online gimmicks to suck people in. I have attached link to one web site below. Note the pull of the money back.

so should the Govt consider this in the context of much stricter regulation of the industry in Ireland before we find ourselves with the new obesity issue on our hands. Maybe it's too late. Alternatively should they leave well alone and let people enjoy a flutter?

Incidentally I was tempted to bring increased tax issues on gambling into the thread but maybe a seperate one is more appropriate. Btw, before anyone asks, I have the odd flutter on football and the grand national so I'm no holier than though bookie basher.

https://ipad.paddypower.mobi/?AFF_ID=4753#!/

https://betfred.mobi/

https://m.boylesports.com/

Last edited:

D

Dylan2010

there seems to be a lot of adverts on the cable channels recently. I wouldnt touch on line gambling with a barge pole, know your limits.

FakeViking

I fully agree, but look at the State's own involvement in gambling, the National Lottery, aka the Voluntary Taxation Scheme for the hard of counting.

Analyzer

Ireland fell so deeply in love with gambling in the middle of the last decade, that we are still paying the consequences for putting gamblers in power.

SeanieFitz

good OP.

Is it even possible to regulate on line gambling? I assume that it would prove to be extremely difficult to control.
The issue of gambling addiction was the subject of a seminar recently in Tralee where recovering addicts spoke about their experiences and gave advice on how to deal with the problem. A friend of mine attended and it was obvious to him that online gambling is a significant problem.
Some guy from Paddy Power was on the radio recently (they are extremely proficient at getting free advertising) discussing the odds offered to the candidates for Pope, I thought "how ironic, bets being placed on who will be Pope, so much for Jesus throwing the money lenders out of the Church"

Belodedici

Sure the annual fleece Paddy festival is on in Cheltenham over the next few days, plenty of advertising money in it for RTE and the print media and they are loving it - it's like gambling is a national sport here, who cares about the horses.

kerdasi amaq

If the government wants a cut of the gaming industries profits; the only legitimate way they can do so, is by buying shares in those companies.

dizillusioned

Never been inside a bookies in my life, have only ever bet at horse racing which I have attended twice in my life (bored the ass off myself) even though I went into both with about 100 euro in my pocket I drank (coke) and ate all day and came home with 150euro on one occasion and 110euro on the other.

Some of the lads I worked with in the past were total gamblers. During lunchtime it was running to the bookies to place bets, ringing round to get prices. This was everyday.

These apps and the on-line gaming/betting sites are damned dangerous. Easy access will no doubt cause some to have larger issues financially with gambling.

Not sure if a tax will stop those who do have a problem with betting though.

D

Dylan2010

is does make you think that RTE are worse than any drug peddlers. they will have any number of jokey pieces this week about gambling and drinking no doubt

Northtipp

good OP.

Is it even possible to regulate on line gambling? I assume that it would prove to be extremely difficult to control.
The issue of gambling addiction was the subject of a seminar recently in Tralee where recovering addicts spoke about their experiences and gave advice on how to deal with the problem. A friend of mine attended and it was obvious to him that online gambling is a significant problem.
Some guy from Paddy Power was on the radio recently (they are extremely proficient at getting free advertising) discussing the odds offered to the candidates for Pope, I thought "how ironic, bets being placed on who will be Pope, so much for Jesus throwing the money lenders out of the Church"
In the US for example I think online gambling is illegal. There must be a way.

Analyzer

If the government wants a cut of the gaming industries profits; the only legitimate way they can do so, is by buying shares in those companies.
Presumably by following this up with appointments of political donors to the boards of the companies.....

emulator

I was listening to the Colm Murray show this morning and heard part of a piece on gambling. It was encouraged by the start of Cheltenham. Essentially it was referring to the major issues which now exist as a result of gambling and getting the brunt of the negative press was on line betting. It covered online betting on horses, spread betting, gambling on new pope, online bingo, online poker etc etc.

Essentially what I heard was a description of the perfect storm in many ways. With improved communications through television and the Internet we have the perfect ability of gamblers to bet on almost anything at any time of the day and in a variety of ways. The enticement also seems endless and very well crafted and packaged by the gambling industry.

One chap interviewed described how he and 9 friends sat in a pub on Sunday watching the Eng V Italy rugby game. They supported neither team but 9 of them were constantly using the apps on their phones to bet on a variety of issues relating to the game. It seems social habits are changed by his also.

It does seem the new betting waves of apps and spread betting is rather dangerous if you have an addictive personality. No longer is the image of Blacked out window betting shops any detriment to betting particularly at under age. They now use online gimmicks to suck people in. I have attached link to one web site below. Note the pull of the money back.

so should the Govt consider this in the context of much stricter regulation of the industry in Ireland before we find ourselves with the new obesity issue on our hands. Maybe it's too late. Alternatively should they leave well alone and let people enjoy a flutter?

Incidentally I was tempted to bring increased tax issues on gambling into the thread but maybe a seperate one is more appropriate. Btw, before anyone asks, I have the odd flutter on football and the grand national so I'm no holier than though bookie basher.

I have noticed that online gambling has increased dramatically over the last few years and it seems to have a free run. Ads on television must take up at least ten percent of all ads. Something else I have noticed is as you pointed out the "in game" betting. This has come about purely out of technology and wouldn't have been possible before.

Before you placed your bet and waited for the end of the game or race. Now you can bet on who will score next.... ads often during half time in games encourage you to....

Given our Country's obsession with gambling (wasn't the bank Guarantee one big all or nothing bet), I think you are right in saying this is a very serious issue. However, I can't see this Government doing anything about it.

Kenny bets on wooing online bookies | Irish Examiner

Analyzer

There is one gambling services provider which frequently sponsors "charity bets" on a radio station that is privately owned.

And there is also a roving contoversial pundit, who always seems to bring involve a bookmaker as a sponsor for his show, (when he is not off the air), with the prizes of a "charity bet".

"and todays show is sponsored by <> bookmakers, and <> online, <<<>>> your number one option for bookmaking, who are also (voice raised in excitement) providing a free charity bet.....for todays winner to the question.....text ....with your answer....texts cost.....

It seems that a certain bookmaker follows a certain pundit around the broadcasting world.

The whole concept of a "charity bet" is laden with hypocrisy. It is selling gambling as some sort of ethical spending habit. This is highly absurd.

I never heard of "gamblers anonymous" getting the proceeds, of the charity bet, either. That would be bad PR, and the whole concept of a charity bet is a "PR Stunt".

Last edited:

Potatoeman

I was listening to the Colm Murray show this morning and heard part of a piece on gambling. It was encouraged by the start of Cheltenham. Essentially it was referring to the major issues which now exist as a result of gambling and getting the brunt of the negative press was on line betting. It covered online betting on horses, spread betting, gambling on new pope, online bingo, online poker etc etc.

It comes down to policing the internet and even if you were to block the sites IP addresses people can get around that by using proxy servers.

People should be aware that these sites are owned (or at least were) by organised crime syndicates that were initially set up to bypass American gambling laws. They used to be run from South American countries with no legislation in this area and have been accused of fixing their slots as well as placing bots in player only games to increase the money they make. People need to check where the sites gaming server are run from and the regulation in that country.

There is a good book ‘Fatal system error’ by Joseph Menns that is about a guy fighting the first ddos attacks that finds himself working for these sites before he realises who he’s working for.

ruserious

Only ever gambled once. Placed a Fiver on Ireland to win the Grandslam in 2009 after the 2008 Autumn Internationals. Price 9/1. Rus Pockets €50 big uns.
Never went back.

Seanie Lemass

Is there anything you enjoy Northtipp that I can ban?

Lots of people including myself bet online and win. Modestly in my case. Numbers of large winners and large losers is small. Bookies don't actually make huge margins. And online betting exchanges mean that anyone can be abookie.

Quadrangle

If someone wants to spend their money on gambling, why do you think you have any right to tell them they can't? At least with the obesity thing you could argue that bad foods should be taxed so others don't have to pay for increased health care costs of the unhealthy, to which I would say that the easiest solution is just have everyone pay for their own healthcare. But I don't see any way that it affects me if someone wastes all their money betting on Cheltenham.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies