The Plastic Bag Scam

ruserious

A small charge (~20c) came in for plastic bags about a decade ago as an environmental protection move which was widely welcomed. Large chains had been churning out plastic bags before this and something had to be done.

Shops then responded by introducing large heavy duty shopping bags that were reusable for around .70c and by having paper bags for free in order to tempt customers to "bag green".

I've noticed lately that the practice of having paper bags seems to be disappearing from Irish shops. The focus seems
to have moved from an environmental one to a money making one.

If people decide to just pay the small price for a plastic bag instead of being offered a paper alternative, then the environment is hardly benefitting. Unless of course the proceeds from plastic bags goes solely towards environmental protection.

A small unimportant rant really but still worthy of a discussion on a Wednesday morning surely?

Marcos the black

My boot is full of them, the branded heavier ones. Do you want one? I'll send you one. PM me your address. Don't worry about the .70c. I didn't realise you were that hard done by.

bmw1

Sure if you mind the plastic bag tis there for ages ,,,, Still glad the sight of them stuck in every country ditch is mostly gone

ruserious

My boot is full of them, the branded heavier ones. Do you want one? I'll send you one. PM me your address. Don't worry about the .70c. I didn't realise you were that hard done by.
The focus of the thread is environmental. I don't care about the cost.

Rural

Much better than having those useless candy striped bags fluttering from nearly every tree in the countryside.

ruserious

FG bots naturally thinking this is an attack on government when it's really a question as to whether shops are profiteering at the expense of the environment.

Rural

FG bots naturally thinking this is an attack on government when it's really a question as to whether shops are profiteering at the expense of the environment.
:rolleyes:

Jeeze, I've been called everything now!

nwofg1

The problem here is many of the social welfare class on here just dont want to pay for anything

Bill

which shops were offering paper bags?

EoinMag

I'd agree, there should be some motive to bring back paper bags. I always used avoid plastic bags anyway.

I lost the affinity for plastic bags when I lived in Germany where they've paid for bags for about 40 years now.

HenryHorace

Well done on completely missing the point the OP has made. Are you usually this slow or had you a late night?

eoghanacht

Every time she goes into the shop she buys a new bag, every time!

Can't be arsed checking the boot of the car and using one of the fifty odd already crammed in there, never mind having the fore sight to maybe once, just once using one of the two hundred wedged down the side of the kitchen unit.

A small charge (~20c) came in for plastic bags about a decade ago as an environmental protection move which was widely welcomed. Large chains had been churning out plastic bags before this and something had to be done.

Shops then responded by introducing large heavy duty shopping bags that were reusable for around .70c and by having paper bags for free in order to tempt customers to "bag green".

I've noticed lately that the practice of having paper bags seems to be disappearing from Irish shops. The focus seems
to have moved from an environmental one to a money making one.

If people decide to just pay the small price for a plastic bag instead of being offered a paper alternative, then the environment is hardly benefitting. Unless of course the proceeds from plastic bags goes solely towards environmental protection.

A small unimportant rant really but still worthy of a discussion on a Wednesday morning surely?
Hardly a scam - at least not here in France. Every time I go food shopping at the local supermarket I notice that everyone in the queue has those sturdy reusable bags. We keep about ten of them in the car.

gerhard dengler

I think my parents were ahead of their time because when we used to drive across to Cornelscourt in the 1970's, Dad would bring his trusty large cardboard box to pack the groceries in to!

The plastic bag tax was a great initiative.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies