The politics of Westeros

Marcos the black

So, we're moving into the final stages of The Game of Thrones. I don't really want to get an episode guide to each one.. no *spoiler* alerts or any of that kind of thing.
It might on the other hand be interesting to talk about the politics in GoT. The alliances, the power struggles, the role of religion, wars, strategies etc..
Does it have any bearing on real life politics? Are there lessons to be taken from it? Are there real life examples of something we've seen on the show? Who are the Political "King Slayers" in Irish politics? Are there any?
Or maybe I'm just too big of a fan and this thread should be zoo'd. If so, mods, do your stuff.
What do you think?

Cellachán Chaisil

If you want an Irish game of thrones, you should try reading Irish history from the 11th and 12th century. Full of backstabbing, internecine conflict, bending the knee to bide your time, kinslaying & kingslaying (especially up North), and complex marital politics and a birra incest.

Bea C

This has gotten me going back to what I'm supposed to be doing.

McSlaggart

So, we're moving into the final stages of The Game of Thrones. I don't really want to get an episode guide to each one.. no *spoiler* alerts or any of that kind of thing.
It might on the other hand be interesting to talk about the politics in GoT. The alliances, the power struggles, the role of religion, wars, strategies etc..
Does it have any bearing on real life politics? Are there lessons to be taken from it? Are there real life examples of something we've seen on the show? Who are the Political "King Slayers" in Irish politics? Are there any?
Or maybe I'm just too big of a fan and this thread should be zoo'd. If so, mods, do your stuff.
What do you think?
I have seen violence and its not as clean as on the Game of thrones.

Nemesiscorporation

What do you think?
30 years war.

ruserious

Eddie Hobbs reminds me of Theon Greyjoy. A dickless fool who falls in with various rising Lords only to be cast aside once more.

Karloff

He based it on the UK, the Wars of the Roses in particular. Lannister = Lancaster, Stark = York. North of the wall might be Scots. Well it's not a direct copy, i think Cercei has a bit of Lizzie I in her with Qyburn her Francis Walsingham.

An extremely addictive show. Only HBO can take a great idea, nurture it and bring it to a satisfying conclusion. They have nearly all of the legendary shows from the last 20 years.

Dame_Enda

I am only starting on Episode 1 of Series 1 of Game of Thrones on Sky Catch Up. Maybe too early to say.

Karloff

I am only starting on Episode 1 of Series 1 of Game of Thrones on Sky Catch Up. Maybe too early to say.
You are fortunate, i might be tempted to undergo a brain surgery to erase my memories of it so i could binge it again.

SideysGhost

The initial inspiration was the Wars of the Roses, but he also borrowed heavily from all sorts of other real-world examples. The Red Wedding was influenced by Scottish history: the Black Dinner of 1440 and the Massacre of Glencoe from 1692. The Purple Wedding is very loosely inspired by the death/murder of Eustace, the son and heir of King Stephen of England, in 1153. Qarth is a (very) loose Byzantium analogue, the Dothraki are obviously loosely based on various steppe races like Mongols and Huns. Lots of other stuff is pure fantasy not really inspired by anything real-world.

RodShaft

Bea C

You are fortunate, i might be tempted to undergo a brain surgery to erase my memories of it so i could binge it again.
Don't go putting lines like that on your dating profile.
You'd be waiting for replies.

silverharp

it seems to have a wee too much feminist p0rn in it. Over powered women and the men are either dwarfs or have had their penis chopped off. Euron Greyjoy is kind of funny this season but it looks like they robbed the character lord flashheart from Blackadder

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Lucky b@stard. It really is as good as the hype.

Something about lizard overlords?

I tried GoT a few years ago, three episodes, and hated it. Well, hated is a strong word. I was bored.
Do you generally read fiction though? I know a lot of people who would not be fiction readers as is and they just couldn't get their heads around it.

My elderly parents in their 80's absolutely love it.

statsman

Lucky b@stard. It really is as good as the hype.

Do you generally read fiction though? I know a lot of people who would not be fiction readers as is and they just couldn't get their heads around it.

My elderly parents in their 80's absolutely love it.
Fair point; I read a lot of fiction, but not genre fiction so much.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies