The post-colonial mind-set

Jesus Wept

Is this really the cause of the high levels of corruption in Irish public life? Haughey was the prime example: basically a cornerboy who took on the airs and graces of an English country squire.

ellie08

Is this really the cause of the high levels of corruption in Irish public life? Haughey was the prime example: basically a cornerboy who took on the airs and graces of an English country squire.
Only weirdos like him who were badly brought up with a chip on their shoulders and a bad case of inferiority complex masquerading as a superiority complex. Most people alive today never experienced life as a colony to it's not an excuse for any of them. These guys like to live the high life - like like minded people all over the world.

Goodbody

I'm always saying this. Folks think we're still run by the British, so they see corruption as stealing from the Queen, not from our own taxpayers.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Well the Brits aren't exactly squeaking clean, MP's expenses etc.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Only weirdos like him who were badly brought up with a chip on their shoulders and a bad case of inferiority complex masquerading as a superiority complex. Most people alive today never experienced life as a colony to it's not an excuse for any of them. These guys like to live the high life - like like minded people all over the world.
Totally agree with you. Fed up of people looking for excuses, grasping at straws, talking about " maturing as a nation " :roll: etc I think that their's a very bad aspect to some in this country, the admiring of the " cute hoor " - until ofcourse the cute hoor turns around and stings them.

cedissapointed

the queen????????????????????????????????????????

Thats purile propaganda,i cannot believe you even put this up here,there are a lot of people in ireland who never saw the queen in the irish equation and feel strongly about that. Our problem is we follow the british model post colonial times.

Jesus Wept

Yes, but I think it can take several generations for a national mind-set to change. We were a British colony for over 700 years and have had our independence for less than 100.

Interestingly, our founding fathers (with the exception of DeValera) were not corrupt. Michael Collins may have been one of the most ruthless Irish politicians ever but he did have an immense sense of honour and could not in any way have been regarded as corrupt.

The corruption seems to have started with the generation of politicians who succeeded them - the men in Mohair suits.

Corruption is rife in Pakistan, India and virtually any African state you care to name. These are all former colonies. In many ways I see Haughey as a somewhat watered down version of Robert Mugabe.

beamish2010

Just like Clowen.

In many ways I see Haughey as a somewhat watered down version of Robert Mugabe.[/QUOTE]

Just like Clowen...The Robert Mugabe of Ireland 2010...

ellie08

Yes, but I think it can take several generations for a national mind-set to change. We were a British colony for over 700 years and have had our independence for less than 100.

Interestingly, our founding fathers (with the exception of DeValera) were not corrupt. Michael Collins may have been one of the most ruthless Irish politicians ever but he did have an immense sense of honour and could not in any way have been regarded as corrupt.

The corruption seems to have started with the generation of politicians who succeeded them - the men in Mohair suits.

Corruption is rife in Pakistan, India and virtually any African state you care to name. These are all former colonies. In many ways I see Haughey as a somewhat watered down version of Robert Mugabe.
It's about lust for power, nothing more, nothing less, Berlusconi is corrupt, do you think he is suffering from post colonial generational syndrome? No, it's just power has gone to their heads. There are plenty of corrupt people everywhere, and Ireland is no different.

markjbloggs

I would have said that the influence of the church was at least an equal contributor to our mindset - if not more.

Servile, unquestioning, dogmatic plebs who vote for bread and circuses without regard for whats good for them - does this seem familiar?

McDave

The concept of "post-colonialism" is a context. But that's as far as it goes for me.

We have to ask ourselves a simple question: "Do we, as a nation, have guts?" If we do, social science concepts like this one have marginal relevance. If we have no guts, I think we have the answer to the root cause our current predicament.

In my book, Ireland is a country with 100 years of independence, a central role in the English-speaking world, considerable international respect (at least up till the collapse of the C****c T***r), and significant international contacts. We are also beset by parochialism and a dire level of complacency. However, which set of characteristics are we going to let determine our fate?

ellie08

I would have said that the influence of the church was at least an equal contributor to our mindset - if not more.

Servile, unquestioning, dogmatic plebs who vote for bread and circuses without regard for whats good for them - does this seem familiar?
Yes. Catholicism is great, you can be as bad as you want and know you can go to confession and all your sins are forgiven - Just like Fitzy and Fingers et.al getting solid gold and silver medals from the church for donating millions to the building of a chapel in that place of poverty - the vatican! They must be worried about their morals to have done such a thing, though if they really possessed the christian spirit, they would have known that they'd have been better off giving the money to the poor!

eyelight

Yes. Catholicism is great, you can be as bad as you want and know you can go to confession and all your sins are forgiven - Just like Fitzy and Fingers et.al getting solid gold and silver medals from the church for donating millions to the building of a chapel in that place of poverty - the vatican! They must be worried about their morals to have done such a thing, though if they really possessed the christian spirit, they would have known that they'd have been better off giving the money to the poor!
Exactly.
Check out this Vatican endorsed Catholic organisation, just for rich folks.
Look at those membership criteria...

Public Site: Legatus Membership

ellie08

Exactly.
Check out this Vatican endorsed Catholic organisation, just for rich folks.
Look at those membership criteria...

Public Site: Legatus Membership
I bet Jesus has his note book out, taking notes about all these wonderful selfless people:p If they truly were believers in Christianity ( I am an agnostic btw), they would know that giving money to the rich does not help one through the eye of a needle! Whoever made the point about Catholicism was right. I would say it had a bigger influence (maybe not so big, but it cannot be ruled out considering the educational system) than being a colony.

ocoonassa

Our leaders were always eminently corruptible and corrupt, one thousand years and counting. True story.

cry freedom

It's amazing the number of people in this country who are perfectly honest in their day to day dealings with their friends and neighbors but see no sin in stealing from the public purse.
It's as if the money that keeps public services going came from another planet.
In the end they are stealing from themselves.
To my mind this comes from generations of people confusing morality with religion.
If you visit Mountjoy you will come across many catholics but very few, if any, quakers.
[I hasten to add that I am not of the quaker persuasion]

This Country

Roman Catholicism has to be a big part of this. The Irish Times had an article on this a few years ago - Will 10% more Protestants lead to less corruption? : Elaine Byrne; lecturer, journalist, consultant and political analyst

As regards colonialism, look at Norway, they were colonised by their neighbours and only got independence a few years before Ireland (in historical terms). I don't think they have the same trouble with corruption.

Those two things aside, I think that the size of the country has a lot to do with it. The "two degrees of separation" situation that prevails in Ireland means that cronyism is much more possible.

budgie29

We say sorry instead of excuse me. We are obsessed with how everyone else views us. Thats why we we wont let our banks fail.

New Threads

Most Replies