• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The POTUSA 2016 Ultimate Slugfest: Democrats vs. the GOP – now until November 2016

GDPR

It looks like the Democrat candidate will be Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will be the GOP candidate, so there will be more focus on the issues between the parties rather than between competing aspirants.

The primaries end on 14 June
The GOP convention is on 18 July
The Democrat convention is on 25-28 July

Until the end of July there are still opportunities for internal punch-ups, especially for the GOP, as the Washington Post points out:

The next three months will be awful for Republicans — and good for Democrats
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/04/20/the-next-three-months-will-be-awful-for-republicans-and-good-for-democrats/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandomuk_2_na
While we don’t know exactly what’s going to happen in the upcoming primaries, at the moment we can say that Hillary Clinton will almost certainly have the Democratic nomination wrapped up by the end of the primaries in June. Donald Trump, on the other hand, may or may not have the Republican nomination in hand at that point. Right now FiveThirtyEight’s projections show Clinton running at 108 percent of what she needs to meet her target for the nomination, while they have Trump at 95 percent of what he needs, meaning he could well fall short.
The GOP convention may well be a battlefield, to the glorious entertainment of us who are just watching on the sidelines, while the Democrat convention is likely to be more of a "coronation" of Hillary Clinton and the laying out of the issues to take to the electorate, maybe the naming of the VP candidate, Sanders having a say, etc.

Trump has already quietened down a bit and is behaving more as a "president" should. He may well retract his statements about muslims, latinos and other extreme comments, but they will never be forgotten by the electorate. He may lose the opportunity to be the GOP candidate at the convention in which case the GOP will be seen as undemocratic and cause even further problems, such as a split. (Woohoo, that would be good for Hillary.) Donald will never stop attacking Hillary, and she has her team ready and waiting to counter-attack and respond to his sometimes silly name-calling such as "crooked Hillary" .

Last edited:

GDPR

The relentless anti-Trump media articles continue:

Classless Crybaby Donald Trump Wants to Be America’s Complainer in Chief

Classless Crybaby Donald Trump Wants to Be America

Stop and imagine what this hysterical man, sensitive to every slight, might do with the power of the presidency.

There’s a reason most Republicans and a vast majority of voters loathe Donald Trump: his vulgarity, his blistering ignorance, his constant dishonesty, his venality, and his utter lack of the knowledge, judgment, or temperament to be president of the United States. But of all his ugly characteristics, his endless stream of self-pity has become the most irritating feature of the most irritating candidate in modern political history.

For the last couple of weeks, Trump has tried to play the grown-up in the run-up to his big hometown victory Tuesday in New York. Still, he can’t get rid of the Trump Tower-sized chip on his shoulder. “Nobody can take an election away with the way they’re doing it in the Republican Party,” he cried in his victory speech, along with complaining about how the press chooses to misunderstand his campaign.

Last edited:

GDPR

Trump says Clinton won't be indicted about the email server, arguing that she is "protected". Should he become President he would pursue the charges.

Donald Trump: Clinton won't be indicted - POLITICO

Trump said:
“I think that what she has done is very, very serious.”
The New York businessman then compared Clinton’s email controversy to the one involving Gen. David Petreaus. “I know for a fact that what Gen. Petraeus and others have done was much less,”
However Trump seems to be backtracking a little from his earlier stance:
…that he would unequivocally pursue criminal charges against Clinton regarding her emails. In March, when Sean Hannity asked whether Trump would pursue a criminal indictment of the Democratic front-runner at a Fox News town hall, Trump responded, “You have to.”
Later that month, Trump reinforced his position, saying that he would potentially nominate Supreme Court justices who “would look very seriously at her email disaster.

NYCKY

Let's get through the primaries first. There are still seven weeks of contests left.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Let's get through the primaries first. There are still seven weeks of contests left.
Let's get through the conventions and see who the nominees are. :)

Just Jack

They are rigged.

The right-wing corporate establishment will not allow Bernie Sanders to get anywhere near the nomination. Their candidate, right-wring neocon lunatic Clinton has had it sown up from the beginning.

ruserious

My bet is a GOP nominee who is not yet in the running. If Hillary wins, she will face impeachment within two years.

Just Jack

If Hillary wins, she will face impeachment within two years.
Even if that happens it will be a total charade.

Like when your mum and dad "investigate" which of the siblings nicked the last Tayto Cheese & Onion.

livingstone

They are rigged.

The right-wing corporate establishment will not allow Bernie Sanders to get anywhere near the nomination. Their candidate, right-wring neocon lunatic Clinton has had it sown up from the beginning.
By winning the most votes, you mean?

GDPR

They are rigged.

Only rigged in the sense that there are rules established by the Democratic Party for yonks, well before Sanders was in Congress.

As for the GOP, it is in a dilemma and may start creating rules. That probably could be considered rigging.

owedtojoy

I agree.

Every election has a different dynamic, and this one has been pretty volatile.

It is only after the conventions that the polls take on the real outline of the way the race is shaping up. You can make educated guesses, but that is all.

GDPR

It's just another Trump bashing thread. You couldn't find an existing thread to do this on ? Seriously?
I am gathering more non-Trump stuff to put on the thread. Should be on tomorrow.

I did say it was a slugfest.

Dame_Enda

I think Kasich could beat Clinton judging by the polls. Trump is way behind her while Cruz runs her close but ladies and gentlemen remember 2000 - it's the Electoral College that matters not the popular vote. Cruz performs just as badly and sometimes worse than Trump on places like NY (28 vs 36) in matchups with Hillary. She is unpopular but not as much as those two. Both parties look set to nominate unpopular candidates which might depress turnout, but immigrants will turnout if they think their illegal relatives are going to be deported and Clinton performs very strongly with them.

GDPR

I think Kasich could beat Clinton judging by the polls. Trump is way behind her while Cruz runs her close but ladies and gentlemen remember 2000 - it's the Electoral College that matters not the popular vote. Cruz performs just as badly and sometimes worse than Trump on places like NY (28 vs 36) in matchups with Hillary. She is unpopular but not as much as those two. Both parties look set to nominate unpopular candidates which might depress turnout, but immigrants will turnout if they think their illegal relatives are going to be deported and Clinton performs very strongly with them.
The problem is that if the GOP chooses Kasich it will be undemocratic. It may also cause the GOP to split Trump vs everyone else in the November election. It is bloody.

I agree that Kasich may have a chance of defeating Clinton. There is another problem in that he is more boring than she is as a candidate. Most viewers will switch off from anything electoral and there will be a really low turnout.

jman0war

They will not nominate someone as it would split the party.
They'll hold their nose and get behind Trump.

Polly Ticks

I am just glad that the slightly obsessed Clintonite OP doesn't have a vote in the election... :)

Dame_Enda

Uncommitted delegates in Louisiana deny reports they are all backing Cruz, though 4 are. The rest say they are uncommitted. In my opinion it's almost impossible for Trump to get to 1237 so the nomination will be decided by uncommitted.

The problem is that if the GOP chooses Kasich it will be undemocratic. It may also cause the GOP to split Trump vs everyone else in the November election. It is bloody.

I agree that Kasich may have a chance of defeating Clinton. There is another problem in that he is more boring than she is as a candidate. Most viewers will switch off from anything electoral and there will be a really low turnout.
Kasich is too moderate for the national GOP. Swing state material - yes. But in the Deep Red states no. They picked moderates the last two times but lost but the base both Cruz and Trump supporters feels the Establishment has betrayed them by compromise.using too much. There is actually little difference between the two on immigration. Trump avoids clarifying his position on gay rights which used to be liberal, and I find his occasional attempts to be religious very unconvincing and quite amusing eg 2 Corinthians.

Trump represents the protectionist/isolationist part of the anti Establishment GOP vote while Cruz represents the economic libertarian/Evangelical part. Both groups have good reason to feel used and discarded by Washington Republicans.

Last edited:

robra

If it's between HC and DT it will be an absolute slugfest and neither candidate will come out looking good. Hillary's lies re: Sniper gate will be brought up again. Also the transcripts, the email server etc. Her war mongering and neo con ways will be highlighted as well as her trenchant support of Israel. Also her constant flip flopping e.g. gay marriage, Iraq, Gitmo, TTP, Nafta, min wage. She has an unfavorable rating of 57% right now, expect that to go up.
For Trump, well where do you begin. HC will show him up as the complete and utter head case that he is. However, it's hard for him to become any more unpopular since he already has an unfavorable rating in the mid 60's. I think he has a core support that will stay with him no matter what.
I think Trump is going to slowly tone things down so he'll start to seem a tiny bit more normal that the lunatic everyone is used to. HC on the other hand will be exposed as the neocon that she is and for that reason I think that if Trump can get HC on the back foot then he could actually win it. However, I doubt it and I still think it's HC's to lose.

Ultimately decent Americans will just be put off politics completely and will end up not voting. I certainly couldn't bring myself to vote for either since there is a very good chance that you'll have blood on your hands if you back either of them. I'm hoping that this election will be a watershed in American politics and perhaps a new party might emerge or the Democratic party will be taken back from the neo libs / cons and wall street.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies