The Power of the English language

redneck

It is estimated now that there are over 1 billion people who have a working knowledge of the English language. Everybody in this country has. World wide there are approximately 375 million native English speakers-including nearly 4 million in the Irish republic. While Mandarin Chinese and Spanish have more native speakers, English easily wins out in the most used second language.
In the EU for example 89% of students study English as a second language compared to next best French at 25%.
Ireland has the 6th most native speakers in the world, with the US leading the way. However if you add English as a second language then India is probably the largest English speaking country.
English evolved from the West Germanic languages, on the East coast of England in or around the 5th century. It was brought by Anglo Saxons (Angles=English) and also some Dutch and Vikings.
Finally it is an official language in 53 countries and incidently has no recognised regulatory authority.(source Wikipedia)
Slán.

Odyessus

It is estimated now that there are over 1 billion people who have a working knowledge of the English language. Everybody in this country has. World wide there are approximately 375 million native English speakers-including nearly 4 million in the Irish republic. While Mandarin Chinese and Spanish have more native speakers, English easily wins out in the most used second language.
In the EU for example 89% of students study English as a second language compared to next best French at 25%.
Ireland has the 6th most native speakers in the world, with the US leading the way. However if you add English as a second language then India is probably the largest English speaking country.
English evolved from the West Germanic languages, on the East coast of England in or around the 5th century. It was brought by Anglo Saxons (Angles=English) and also some Dutch and Vikings.
Finally it is an official language in 53 countries and incidently has no recognised regulatory authority.(source Wikipedia)
Slán.

What is your point?

GridLock

Must look up that wiki source..English is by far the easiest language to learn,if you can learn it as an individual on your own should there be a regulatory authority cashing in on your learning experience is that what you are suggesting..

Dr Pat

It is estimated now that there are over 1 billion people who have a working knowledge of the English language. Everybody in this country has.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. What about all the immigrants who are resident or who have been granted citizenship under the broken asylum system in Ireland?

Just Jack

Slán.
Fascinating…

Just shows how devoid we are, of our own culture.

TaxHavenSite

Should we just decide that English will be the basic language of the world,or should we wait until the number of total speakers reaches 2,5 billion? It would make life so much easier if there is a basic language worldwide.

Just Jack

evercloserunion

This is what I tell myself whenever I go over to Europe and feel bad about not speaking French or German.

Even Margot Wallstrom has said that English is destined to become the main language of the EU.

Just Jack

It would help bring about a new culture to the world,and peace since people will be able to communicate better with people throughout the world.
Most likely, a new boring mono culture devoid of any individuality, which makes culture so enriched in the first place.

I can see where you’re coming from. In terms of communication, it would probably alleviate some problems. But the world would be a worse off place IMO.

TaxHavenSite

Most likely, a new boring mono culture devoid of any individuality, which makes culture so enriched in the first place.

I can see where you’re coming from. In terms of communication, it would probably alleviate some problems. But the world would be a worse off place IMO.
I'm more of a futurist then a person who likes traditions. To me language is about communication,not anything else.

ocoonassa

Fascinating…

Just shows how devoid we are, of our own culture.
Language culture? Swift, Yeats, Joyce, Behan, and countless others yeah we're really devoid of culture, sure when it comes to mastery of our native language we're complete no marks.

Just Jack

Language culture? Swift, Yeats, Joyce, Behan, and countless others yeah we're really devoid of culture, sure when it comes to mastery of our native language we're complete no marks.
That’s precisely my point…

Monday Monday

Slán.
Yay! Go English. Third best language in the world.
I speak English. So, I rock. Allright.

New Threads

Most Replies