The Preamble to Bunreacht na hÉireann: Time to Change?

With regard to any amendment to the preamble of the Constitution, would you prefer to:

• Leave it as it is (I approve of the current text)

Votes: 55 17.1%
  • Leave it as it is (It's not worth the hassle)

Votes: 39 12.1%
  • Change to long secular preamble

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • Change to a short secular preamble

Votes: 160 49.8%
  • Frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn

Votes: 50 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cruimh

Fair enough, but I wouldn't be too worried about it from this case. According to the information you supplied the SC would have gone the same way without the reference to god. They referenced potential damage to the family and health concerns in the case.
Based on Catholic social teaching, which was validated in their eyes by the religious component in the preamble.

The former Taoiseach (Prime Minister), Sean Lemass, once said that the Constitution should be changed 'every 25 years at least, as our society develops into a modern state', and the accelerating debate over the nature of the Constitution clearly reinforces this view.
Page 599

Church, State and the Irish Constitution: The Secularisation of Irish Politics?
Parliam Aff (1996) 49(4): 599-615 Brian Girvin

[url]http://pa.oxfordjournals.org/content/49/4/599.extract[/URL]

ruserious

Will the citizens assembly be looking at the preamble?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It would be a bit of a miss if they didn't.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd quite like to see Fieldy's suggested replacement preamble.

'No to False Popes! Never Surrender!'

That would pretty much be it.

McTell

Well the preamble gives / gave you fair warning (in 1937) of what's coming next.

I draw the line at:

"We, the people of Éire,Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,"

Jesus didn't do a lot of "sustaining" any time between 1169 and 1850, and His reps cost a lot with no payback.

Talk Back

The Constitution was written in Irish. The English version was not translated properly, and is meaningless in Irish law.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Irish or English, Latin or Greek, that preamble looks like a rag and bone man's cart of a thing.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You get the feeling that back then they might have been better off having two sections to the Preamble. The first being the notion that there is no point, really, as everything is steered by the Big Bus Driver Who Lives In The Sky (whoop, heap big praise etc and so forth).

And Part B beginning with 'But if we had any say in anything ultimately at all, at all (see Section A), this is what we'd have as aspirations....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom