The problem of size - do I need a bigger one or is it too common?

blokesbloke

Now I think if we're honest most of us have a snobby side.

I certainly do (I am English after all) and whilst I try very hard to keep it in check, I'll never get rid of it completely.

I of course also have reverse snobbery, so I don't just mean looking down snootily but also looking up snootily.

Now I generally avoid the Hyacinth Bucket brand of snobbery. A branch of my family I no longer speak to went very much that way, but I could never win because when I went to a family event at a hotel they mocked me roundly for ordering a copy of The Times at breakfast. To them, the only reason I could have for doing this was to "show off" - one of them said to be "It's not like you'll ever read it!" which made me sad, as I realised how little they knew me or my branch of the family at all.

On the other hand, they mocked me roundly when I first went to Blackpool a decade or so again and fell in love with it, calling me a chav for going to Blackpool.

So I couldn't win really - glad I don't see them anymore.

They couldn't seem to understand that if I like something I will buy or it do it. So yes I genuinely want to read The Times and if I wanted to read The Daily Star instead I will.

However I prefer Blackpool to Tuscany and I don't care.

Anyway on to the main thrust of the thread, which as should be obviously to everyone by now... what size of television should I get for my flat?!

You see when I was a nipper, I very quickly learned that having a television which was too large was rather common.

I read later... the larger the television, the lower the class.

Then of course it was considered extremely vulgar to have a satellite dish.

Being an economical sort of chap, I still have an old 21 inch Sony CRT TV which I took to my new flat when I moved out of my parents house - it must be at least 15 years old now but it still works, though of course modern TV looks less good on it as it's not widescreen (though I watch so many old shows from the 70s and 80s it's quite good for them).

I even still have a VCR! Because I have loads and loads of old tapes and whilst DVDs are cheap enough now to replace them, not all of them were released on DVD, especially a series of male stripper videos I am very fond of.

So anyway I am now thinking it's perhaps time to get a new TV - they are so thin now that I'd have more room in my flat even with a bigger screen.

But I still have a residual snobbery I cannot shake about having a large TV and it making people think I am common.

I think to be honest this is a very old-fashioned prejudice which has probably disappeared now, but still...

Then I'm looking at TVs and marvelling that a 32-inch TV is being listed as a "small TV suitable for the bedroom" - well back in the CRT days 32 inches was very big and I don't think you could go bigger than 37 inches without rear-projection which had a crap picture.

Then again I suppose CRT TVs of that size were extra common because they had to be very deep so they really did dominate the room. I remember a gay couple who got a 37 inch CRT in a tiny flat and it really dominated the room. I was far too polite to say anything, of course, but the commonness did mean I had to take a discreet sniff of smelling salts.

So anyway. I have a very small flat but it's open plan, basically just one decent sized room, a hall and a bathroom, so the main room is reasonably big if not huge.

What size of TV should I get?

If I get a big TV will I be forever common?

And so few TVs now have SCART sockets - could I still connect my ancient VCR and almost-as-ancient DVD player?

I know you can get a new DVD player dead cheap which would probably have HDMI - I was amazed to see a Panasonic one for £7 in Sainsbury's the other day - but I like my old one because I got it from Amazon when they used to sell multi-region ones backed by their own warranty.

They don't seem to do that anymore, and if you Google for multi-region players you just get forums like this from a decade ago.

I know it's all streaming now, and that's partly why I want a new TV because they're just after installing ultra-fast broadband in my block I want Netflix and all that good stuff.

But I still have lots of DVDs I want to keep for the same reason as the videos - not all will be on streaming and I have a lot of Region 1 stuff.

Darlings, I must be told what to do.

How big a TV should I get?

Can I connect a VCR to it?

Can I connect my DVD player to it if it's doesn't have HDMI and if not, can I still buy a decent multi-region DVD player?

If not, can I get a multi-region Blu-Ray player which will handle Region 1 DVDs and Blu-Rays?

What sort of telly should I get?

Budget is not unlimited but I am willing to spend a fair amount - £1,000 would be possible for the telly.

Oh - and I suppose my precious VHS tapes will wear out one day. Are any of the conversion kits easy to use? Has anyone used them before?

GDPR

What fun! What about it appeals to you?

I am very sensitive about attacks on my beloved Blackpool.

I fully intend to live there one day.
I find it has this old world charm about it; I find it to be ever so slightly sleazy but in a strangely comforting way if that makes sense.

blokesbloke

I find it has this old world charm about it; I find it to be ever so slightly sleazy but in a strangely comforting way if that makes sense.
Yes that's it!

All is right with the world when my Blackpool exists.

It did go a bit dodgy with far too many lap dancing clubs for a while but the council have closed the vast majority thank goodness.

Thought I was sad to see the one male one had gone. We had one in Brum too. I wanted to go but was too shy to go alone.

GDPR

Anyway for what its worth I think massive screens are actually a bit tacky but I hardly use television at all.

petaljam

As a relatively recent convert to flat screens I find they're fantastic for lots of reasons, but you can definitely have "too big" - and I don't mean for reasons of snobbery.
The one we have is apparently exactly the right size for the room, but when you're any way close to it, IMO it's sometimes a little off putting to see someone (who is by any normal measure a beauty)'s every skin flaw in larger than life size.

So I'd pay more attention to what distance you're going to be watching it from than to getting the biggest size possible.

GDPR

Yes that's it!

All is right with the world when my Blackpool exists.

It did go a bit dodgy with far too many lap dancing clubs for a while but the council have closed the vast majority thank goodness.

Thought I was sad to see the one male one had gone. We had one in Brum too. I wanted to go but was too shy to go alone.
It also strongly captures a quintessence of Englishness. I always recommend that visters to England try to take a trip to see it.

Catalpast

Aint got no TV or phone

- just my 17 inch laptop (size matters!)

- to view and communicate with the World!:cool:

corporal punishment

We have a 32" LG. The man in the shop said it's the same as the Samsung but €200 cheaper. If I we're you, I'd buy a blu ray player and use it as a media centre. Netflix and or an Android box will revolutionise your TV experience.

blokesbloke

But is there a maximum size before I become common?

petaljam

But is there a maximum size before I become common?
Oh absolutely.

But I'm afraid it's like all that fuss about those U / non-U expressions from a few years back - if you don't know, you're already common. :lol:

Ellen Ripley

What fun! What about it appeals to you?

I am very sensitive about attacks on my beloved Blackpool.

I fully intend to live there one day.
I knew someone who always went but never admitted it--"We holiday in Lytham-St-Anne's, darling"

As for the TV, get what you want, really posh people have this much in common with the underclass-- they don't give a damn what anyone thinks.

publicrealm

BB -it's an important question, especially for an Englishman - everything is so nuanced over there.

I don't know the answer but I think you should play safe - anything over 50" would probably be sailing too close to the wind - and avoid the curved ones.

(As a precaution against criticism you could have some cucumber sandwiches on standby - crust off? )

Franzoni

We upgraded to a flat screen last year...fairly sure it has a couple of SCART and and even a co axial connector at the back along with the HDMI and it's one of the latest Sony internet versions...

Better to be looking at it than looking for it i say.....go LARGE.....:D

blokesbloke

Oh absolutely.

But I'm afraid it's like all that fuss about those U / non-U expressions from a few years back - if you don't know, you're already common. :lol:
:shock:

Oh! Oh well. I shall just have to be common so.

blokesbloke

I knew someone who always went but never admitted it--"We holiday in Lytham-St-Anne's, darling"

As for the TV, get what you want, really posh people have this much in common with the underclass-- they don't give a damn what anyone thinks.
Titter - I like St Anne's, it's posh but not horribly posh. Lytham is pleasant but too posh, though the Northerness tempers it slightly. Some of the new developments in Lytham are vulgar and new money, too.

Fleetwood has some gorgeous houses and is much cheaper though, I might end up there. Fylde coast at any rate.

I know about the underclass/upper class thing and as I pointed out with my fondness for Blackpool normally I do have that attitude, but for some reason the television thing really stuck with me.

Like all people I am a mass of contradictions and like most English people I can go from thinking "oh you common little oik" to "oh you upper class twat" in the space of 30 seconds.

Last edited:

ger12

Consider, I know this sounds a tad mad, the urge to plug in any TV. Go TV free.

Y'know what?

The bigger the better. I have a huge TV, but it takes up fùck all real estate in the room.

Make sure it's a connected one.

That is all.

New Threads