The problem of size - do I need a bigger one or is it too common?

redhead

Small is beautiful.

Rural

Tellys in the 60s and 70s were their very own piece of furniture, some had doors on the front so the telly could be hidden away when there was a party.

Our telly was a rental, I think most were at that time, Hubby's family rented a telly that had a money slot on the top of it and it would just stop until 50p was put in the slot, he lived in "RTE Only Land" so they didn't use too many 50ps on the telly.

I think that, because nowadays tellys come in all sorts of sizes, with all sorts of capabilities, you should just get the one that suits yourself. People watch the telly in different ways and now you can get the radio and some great music channels on the box.

Our telly is 18", it suits me because I don't actually sit and watch it, I have to be doing something else and I listen to it really. I called to a neighbour just a couple of hours ago and this man lives alone, in a tiny house, the sitting room is very small, but he has this great, big, fukk-off telly in the corner, it's not out of place and the man loves his sport, horse racing and GAA, so it suits him.

Get what suits you sir!:)

Polly Ticks

Gave up TV years ago.

When I need some entertainment these days, I recreate famous historical events using hand shadow puppets. Was up all last night doing WWI.. hands are a mess this morning, but it was great craic.

D

Deleted member 45466

Gave up TV years ago.

When I need some entertainment these days, I recreate famous historical events using hand shadow puppets. Was up all last night doing WWI.. hands are a mess this morning, but it was great craic.
Did it include artillery barrages?

fat finger

Now I think if we're honest most of us have a snobby side.

I certainly do (I am English after all) and whilst I try very hard to keep it in check, I'll never get rid of it completely.

I of course also have reverse snobbery, so I don't just mean looking down snootily but also looking up snootily.

Now I generally avoid the Hyacinth Bucket brand of snobbery. A branch of my family I no longer speak to went very much that way, but I could never win because when I went to a family event at a hotel they mocked me roundly for ordering a copy of The Times at breakfast. To them, the only reason I could have for doing this was to "show off" - one of them said to be "It's not like you'll ever read it!" which made me sad, as I realised how little they knew me or my branch of the family at all.

On the other hand, they mocked me roundly when I first went to Blackpool a decade or so again and fell in love with it, calling me a chav for going to Blackpool.

Have to agree with the branch of your family you no longer speak to - Blackpool is appalling, quite the worst place I ever visited. I'd been about 20 years ago and found it unspeakably grim, but in recent years finding myself in the neighbourhood I visited a second time, reckoning it must have got better in the intervening. But it hadn't, it had got miles worse. Of course things weren't helped by one of the first pubs you see on entering the town by car had literally been burnt down the night before, won't say the name but was an outlet of a popular chain across the north of England, but the bouncers had kicked some punter out the night before, the reason doesn't matter, probably too drunk to stand anymore, and off he went made up a petrol bomb and came back to wreak his vengeance. But burnt out pubs is not the main problem with Blackpool, the single reason why it is so grim is the drinker cannot find a single pub in the whole town serving good quality cask ale, all you get is numberless bars flogging lager fizz, the sort that leaves you with a pounding headache after even only one pint. Blackpool is unlovable, sorry. Next day I moved on to Morecambe, a delightful town, perhaps how Blackpool was decades ago before all the tatty clubs and cheap hotels moved in. My visit was also wrecked by an encounter with a hen party, all pissed out of their heads by 3pm, all dressed in pink tutus - and why does every hen party always have to include one member who is beyond fat and has to screech hysterically with laughter between every slug from her pint of cider?
No, Blackpool is grim, quite the grimmest place I ever visited.
But they say the roller coaster is good.

Last edited:

ger12

Have you considered the energy usage BB?

blokesbloke

Have to agree with the branch of your family you no longer speak to - Blackpool is appalling, quite the worst place I ever visited. I'd been about 20 years ago and found it unspeakably grim, but in recent years finding myself in the neighbourhood I visited a second time, reckoning it must have got better in the intervening. But it hadn't, it had got miles worse. Of course things weren't helped by one of the first pubs you see on entering the town by car had literally been burnt down the night before, won't say the name but was an outlet of a popular chain across the north of England, but the bouncers had kicked some punter out the night before, the reason doesn't matter, probably too drunk to stand anymore, and off he went made up a petrol bomb and came back to wreak his vengeance. But burnt out pubs is not the main problem with Blackpool, the single reason why it is so grim is the drinker cannot find a single pub in the whole town serving good quality cask ale, all you get is numberless bars flogging lager fizz, the sort that leaves you with a pounding headache after even only one pint. Blackpool is unlovable, sorry. Next day I moved on to Morecambe, a delightful town, perhaps how Blackpool was decades ago before all the tatty clubs and cheap hotels moved in. My visit was also wrecked by an encounter with a hen party, all pissed out of their heads by 3pm, all dressed in pink tutus - and why does every hen party always have to include one member who is beyond fat and has to screech hysterically with laughter between every slug from her pint of cider?
No, Blackpool is grim, quite the grimmest place I ever visited.
But they say the roller coaster is good.
There are Real Ale pubs in Blackpool, it is hardly their fault if you went to chain pubs and didn't do your research first. You're not going to find the best pubs on the Prom. You also say you heard the roller coaster was good, but failed to try it out, which is hardly fair.

The rest of your post is tragically deranged gibberish.

You were obviously on mind-altering substances when you last visited.

Morecombe has one lovely hotel and a very dangerous beach and that's it.

There is nothing else there.

blokesbloke

Have you considered the energy usage BB?
I hadn't but it's a good point.

I assumed the old CRT TVs were less efficient but I suppose if I go from a 21 inch CRT to a massive one it would use more?

blokesbloke

Incidentally, if any of you have a wooden cart wheel on your house, please take it off of the wall, hit yourself over the head repeatedly with it until you die, and accept you're going to Bad Taste Hell.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies